Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 21 August, 2023, 07:48:21 AMMillionaires Movie Club is a satellite repost repository for well known huckster and all around misogyny mine Fresh and Fit podcast (just checking the popular uploads page will be enough to give any level headed person an aneurism) so yeah. Cheers for proliferating that sort of thing.

Sorry. Genuinely. Should have checked both the source and the context.  (I'm still not entirely sure of the context, if anyone has a bit more information.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

I read a bit more on this and (color me not surprised), the context opens the debate up a little.

Nobody (except for gammons, who are using it to fill their rage-bladders and color our perspective) actually made the claim that "2+2=4 is racist", and nobody made the claim that "2+2=5". Those be straw men! Or women. Or gender neutral folk. Or genderqueer peeps. Or sea-horsies. Or turtles, which is another gammon-baiter.

Anyway ... the point that was being made was that, while basic arithmetic is all fucking QED and objective (2+2=4, yup), the way that mathematics is used, societally, can be subjective. And it can be used for ill. After all, mathematics is just a language, and you can use languages for all sorts of purposes.

Example: Nazi eugenics. (This isn't Godwin's Law, you hairy gibbons! It's just a pertinent example.)

The argument is given in more depth, and more cogently, by this dude called Jason To, who seems to have started all this kerfuffle by ... trying to talk in depth on a subject. BOO! No, Jason! We'll have none of that! Our Trumpian overlord and his army of angry hicks (busy machine-gunning beer cans because they may have been touched by a trans person) won't have any of this thinking shit! Stop it! Get angry instead! Find people different from you and attack them! Crush them! Hit them with bibles!

This is a lot more fun: 58 and other Confusing Numbers - Numberphile.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 25 August, 2023, 10:03:22 PMI read a bit more on this ...

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 25 August, 2023, 10:03:22 PMThis is a lot more fun: 58 and other Confusing Numbers - Numberphile.

It's been a while since I watched that, but I vaguely remember Mr Scott referencing a pacific island culture that counts in base 27? or similar and I've always wanted to find out more about it, but there don't seem to be many easily accessible sources.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 25 August, 2023, 11:36:12 PMI vaguely remember Mr Scott referencing a pacific island culture that counts in base 27? or similar and I've always wanted to find out more about it

I read a bit more on this ... Oksapmin Counting System

Art by someone else. I can't do fingers that well.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 25 August, 2023, 10:03:22 PMI read a bit more on this and (color me not surprised), the context opens the debate up a little.

Nobody (except for gammons, who are using it to fill their rage-bladders and color our perspective) actually made the claim that "2+2=4 is racist", and nobody made the claim that "2+2=5". Those be straw men! Or women. Or gender neutral folk. Or genderqueer peeps. Or sea-horsies. Or turtles, which is another gammon-baiter.

Anyway ... the point that was being made was that, while basic arithmetic is all fucking QED and objective (2+2=4, yup), the way that mathematics is used, societally, can be subjective. And it can be used for ill. After all, mathematics is just a language, and you can use languages for all sorts of purposes.

Example: Nazi eugenics. (This isn't Godwin's Law, you hairy gibbons! It's just a pertinent example.)

Cheers, Funt.  Lesson learned.  (Lesson for me - don't instantly react to a few seconds of a sound-bite without, as I say, checking the source and the context first.
EDIT: Especially when my knowledge of maths is down there with my knowledge of anything that requires cohesive organisation.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

No harm, no foul. That had been edited together to make it seem like something utterly daft was being said. It's a bit like when anyone interviews Jordan Peterson (the Incel King of Canada) - he uses big words and intellectual name-dropping to make it seem like he's making sense, but whenever anyone fact-checks him it turns out that he's mostly talking shite to back up his world view.

JayzusB.Christ

I don't know a lot about Jordan Peterson, other than that he sounds like a bit of a dick and that one of my mates seems to think he's some kind of modern-day Socrates.  :-\

The Legendary Shark

He's charismatic, and a master debater, but, I dunno', I find there's something a little off about him.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Peterson is a irascible oaf and snake oil merchant with all the wile and grace of airborne roadkill.
But he is very good at selling shit to the gullible who collect excrement, I will give him that.

M.I.K.

Every time I've heard Jordan Peterson speak for any amount of time, I've always come away thinking there's something seriously wrong with his brain. He constantly makes basic factual errors, has very odd assumptions, jumps to highly illogical conclusions and seemingly bursts into tears every now and again for no immediately apparent reason.

pauljholden

He's ChatGPT in Human Form. Persuasive enough on first glance to seem insightful, but you're never long in finding out it's a big crock of cockamamy.

Hawkmumbler

Among his numerous crimes I number making the works of Jung seem uncool.
Not even Joseph Campbell managed that, an inhumane task.

Is he the guy who wants to have sexy times with lobsters or something?

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 27 August, 2023, 10:09:40 PMIs he the guy who wants to have sexy times with lobsters or something?

His idea was that hierarchies in human society can be explained by serotonin, which he supports using serotonin in lobsters as a comparison (more serotonin = more aggressive lobsters). While this comparison might have some merits, I'm not sure that likening the way lobsters and humans behave and operate is entirely valid.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

He sounds like a narcotics enthusiast.