Main Menu

Rogue Trooper News…!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 29 January, 2024, 02:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Can I ask why this is down in the 'Film & TV' thread?  This is major 2000AD news, we know it is actually happening, and yet again, like 2012 Dredd, threads started in 'News" get closed.  Everyone looks in the main section, that's why people kept creating news threads about Dredd at the start when they didn't see anything about it where they naturally expect it to be.

This sub forum is the place I'd go to if I wanted to discuss Laverne & Shirley meets Hong Kong Phooey.  Not an actual, known-to-be-in-production movie about a major 2000AD character.

I understand that Rebellion might want to do official stuff; well, there's an Announcements thread official communiques can be posted/quoted in, and the actual "NEWS" section of the website as opposed to the forum.

Forgive me for being dense, but why can the main forum have threads for e.g. "I see a guy making unofficial Dredd teatowels" but not this exciting, relevant and big news?  It's like NASA sending people to Mars and reporting it on the inside back page of Exchange & Mart.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Also!

Rebellion, please discuss the film with Hiya or whoever so we can get a tie-in Rogue Trooper figure out of it.  Plus, assuming he will look differnt in some ways from the comic, please ask them to make an original comic variant so faithful and aged Squaxx can see the fulfilment of a long-time desire.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dash Decent on 31 January, 2024, 12:26:01 AMForgive me for being dense, but why can the main forum have threads for e.g. "I see a guy making unofficial Dredd teatowels" but not this exciting, relevant and big news?

It's not that this thread can't be in the main forum section, it's just that I put it here because it seemed logical to put it here. It wasn't an official announcement, I just happened to see the announcement on FB a few minutes after it was made, and popped the link on the forum because I thought other people might be as excited/intrigued as I was.

(I only browse the forum using the "Unread Posts" option, so this one jumps to the top whenever someone posts to it — it never crossed my mind to consider how it would appear to someone reading the forum a different way. If a mod wants to move it for that reason, fair enough.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

I use the Unread Posts page too. 

There used to be a Recent Posts page which listed all topics in order of the latest post. This was extremely useful but disappeared (along with certain tags) during the last site upgrade. A few of us tried asking for it back but here we still are.

Anyway - I'm looking forward to this film with great anticipation. Fingers crossed that it'll make enough money for Rebellion to recover the Recent Posts page. 

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dash Decent

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 January, 2024, 07:04:31 AMIt's not that this thread can't be in the main forum section, it's just that I put it here because it seemed logical to put it here.

My apologies Jim, I wasn't trying to pick on anyone about the choice.  Coming in cold this morning and seeing a thread in the main section shut down and pointing to another section of the forum out in the weeds is identical to the experience I found here when Dredd was in the pipeline.  I assumed there must be some rule the mods were enforcing again that I still didn't understand.

I hadn't considered the "Unread Posts" function.  I go by the layout on the main page, which is:

2000AD   < This seems to me the place for everything 2000AD, bar review-type discussions.
News                  <
General               <
Announcements    < I always look at these three. 
(etc)

Spoilers   < 2000AD-y reviews go here.
Prog                  <
Megazine            <
Other Reviews    < I sometimes look at these three.

General Chat  < And therefore this is everything not 2000AD.
Dredd film discussion     <
Comics                          <
Movies & TV                    <
Shampoos of History       <
(etc)                        < All this stuff is the weeds to me, and I rarely look here..

That said, I think I have proved in the Joe/Joseph and "Souther" stakes that I'm not the full quid, so my understanding of how the site is meant to be categorised is open to questioning.  The Dredd film discussion is under "General Chat" too, which probably also proves I am totally mistaken -- though I am equally baffled by why it is in the General Chat section.  If it's considered General, then 2000AD/General would be the place, I would have thought...

Just think of me as one of those stupid robots in predictable cod SF stories -
"Warning!  Warning! Does not compute! <fizzle fizzle fizzle>"
"Well, that got rid of him!  Back to normal, the world is safe again."

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 January, 2024, 07:04:31 AMit never crossed my mind to consider how it would appear to someone reading the forum a different way.

Jim, the fault is mine.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Colin YNWA

I've used the 'Unread Posts' as my main way in to what's happening here since I landed I believe - arh remember when if you missed a day for whatever reason there was 3 pages of the stuff - this move news is in a small way returning us to that time! Its set the board on fire, which is aces.

I used 'Unread posts' even in the days of the fabled 'Active topics' and always wondered why more didn't. Its just so useful.

That said we're getting off track. That Rogue Trooper movie sure lookd fun. I really hope it finds its audience.

Dash Decent

The official site - https://roguetrooper.com/ - doesn't have much in the way of images, but I love that what it does have, Rogue & Hank the Blackmare tank, looks 100% original Rogue.  It might change later as production progresses, but fingers crossed.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 January, 2024, 04:42:08 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 29 January, 2024, 04:35:01 PMNow, what's the name of that giant tank in the teaser image?

Hank.

I am also hoping for a spin-off Thomas the Tank Engine-type series for kids, Hank the Tank.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 January, 2024, 11:16:05 PMI think it's all the mo-cap (and possibly some scanning of the actors, if my very limited grasp of the MetaHuman character animation is correct).

I'm going to take this as at least the possibility that I'm right about the moc-cap and scanning... :)

(Xwitter screencap thieved from John Burdis on the 77-2000AD FB group, because I don't do that Xwitter thing no more...)

Le Fink

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 31 January, 2024, 07:24:03 AMThere used to be a Recent Posts page which listed all topics in order of the latest post.
I still have the Recent Posts link (along with Unread Posts and Updated Topics) at the top of the page, just under the Main Menu link. Browsing using Safari on my iPhone. I always start with Recent Posts when I visit the forum! The only irritation is it only works in landscape orientation. I have to twizzle the phone 90 degrees before I can click on it. Really bizarre. I also have the link when viewing on my Mac.

And, er, good news on the Rogue Trooper film! Looking forward to it!

Hawkmumbler

Is it wrong I'm more excited for the BTS mo-cap stuff to get released over the movie itself, and that really means something.
Watching mo-cap acting is some of the most fun you can have sober, comedy gold every time.

sheridan

Quote from: norton canes on 30 January, 2024, 10:25:59 AMWith Mark Proksch as the Traitor General
Oh, Colin Robinson actually does look like the Traitor General now you say it (after the shuttle crash).

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Le Fink on 31 January, 2024, 09:14:34 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 31 January, 2024, 07:24:03 AMThere used to be a Recent Posts page which listed all topics in order of the latest post.
I still have the Recent Posts link (along with Unread Posts and Updated Topics) at the top of the page, just under the Main Menu link. Browsing using Safari on my iPhone. I always start with Recent Posts when I visit the forum! The only irritation is it only works in landscape orientation. I have to twizzle the phone 90 degrees before I can click on it. Really bizarre. I also have the link when viewing on my Mac.

And, er, good news on the Rogue Trooper film! Looking forward to it!

Sorry, it was the Active Topics page (as Colin correctly pointed out) which was so very, very useful. I'd love to get that back, but not as much as I love the prospect of a RT film.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 31 January, 2024, 07:24:03 AMI use the Unread Posts page too.

I really need to start doing that. I think I'm still living in the days when there was a Kev O'Neill Tharg at the top of the forum page, with an eye that followed the cursor wherever it went.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 January, 2024, 01:47:08 PMI really need to start doing that. I think I'm still living in the days when there was a Kev O'Neill Walker Tharg at the top of the forum page, with an eye that followed the cursor wherever it went.