Main Menu

Completely Self-absorbed Top 100 Comic Runs You Need to Read

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 October, 2023, 03:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

BadlyDrawnKano

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 06 March, 2024, 03:04:06 AMDoing the good comic work  :D

Absolutely, this is one of my favourite comics threads I've ever seen, and I've been on various forums and message boards for...*thinks about it*...Jesus Christ I'm old now! But yeah, a long, long time, and I'm really looking forward to reading your thoughts and feelings about all of the comics you include on the list. ;)

Vector14

I just want to pile on with the praise here. I haven't interacted much as I haven't read most of these comics but it's an amazing thread.
It's a testament to your writing that you've made me interested in several comics I would have paid no attention to otherwise, and even when I can see the comic is not for me, it's always a pleasure to get your personal take.

I've mentioned before that it was some of Colins other threads that got me started lurking and eventually signing up to the forums here. And following the forums here for a few months got me to resubscribe to the prog after years away.

You are truly a great asset to Thrillpower!

Colin YNWA

Thanks folks that really is very kind of you all. This really is a pleasure to do and as I've said before my waffle is the chicken, you folks commenting is the sauce that adds the flavour and interest.

Colin YNWA

Number 97 - Mega Robo Bros

Keywords: All ages, superheroes, The Phoenix, Regened

Creators:
Writer - Neill Cameron
Art - Neill Cameron
Colours - Neill Cameron

Publisher: David Fickling books

No. issues: Page count equivalent of about 40ish US comics
Date of Publication: Ongoing

Last read: Ongoing

All ages comics when done well are genuinely all ages. Intended audience may be 8-14 but done right any age should be able to not only appreciate the craft on display but also plain love the characters and get fully immersed in the story. This is definitely true of

Copyright - them what created it...

Mega Robo Bros. This comic is almost a template for what 2000ad's Regened should be, and indeed has been, at its best.

Though to reference 2000ad - my natural instinct - undervalues its home The Phoenix, a comic we need to be talking more about. This is the second entry from that comic and there is more to come. If folks like comic anthologies and are happy to read all ages comics then they really should be checking out The Phoenix. Look, I recorded a podcast with our own Eamonn about it...

...right advert over let's dig into the specifics of this particular strip from that title. Mega Robo Bros is the ongoing story of Alex and Freddy Sharma, two school kids from a near future London, who just happen to be super powerful robots engaged by a government agency  Robotics Analysis, Intelligence and Defence or R.A.I.D. (one day they will run out of cool acronyms for government agencies!) to battle crime and other threats. As might be expected a lot of these threats originate from other villainous robots, but it expands the brothers' world far beyond that.

Neill Cameron uses the series to explore all sorts of ideas and relate them to younger audiences using the young robot protagonists as the vehicle. Primary among them is the prejudice that robots face in their society and how that impacts on Alex and Freddy's feelings as they fight for humanity, some parts of which reject them. Don't get me wrong this comic is full of high speed, high flying, metal crunching action, but it's a lot too smart to be just that.

Its greatest strength though is Alex and Freddy and their relationship. I don't know if Neill Cameron has two sons, but having read the series I'd put good money on it. I have an older brother and boy can I relate to how these two get on. They drive each other spare. They are completely different, Alex the older brother is quiet, introspective, sensitive. Freddy is brash, energetic and full of youthful confidence. Seeming opposites they wind each other up and regularly come to blows. Great big robotic blows, their poor parents house insurance must be a nightmare.

Of course under that sibling rivalry they love each other dearly and would do anything for each other. Do they show that, god no, not if they can avoid it, of course not. But it's there and in moments of tension and challenge they draw on each other in ways only siblings can. Honestly they have one of the best realised and honest relationships in comics. They are such perfectly rounded characters and even in talking about it here the fact that they are super-powered robots can just wash away.

First and foremost they are fantastic characters, brothers and they feel real... with jet boots... but so, so real. They provide a charm to the series that is rarely matched in any comic. Just about everything else in the series is secondary to this and that is a massive part of why I love this series so much. Neill Cameron has created two of comics most honest and enjoyable characters in Alex and Freddy.

Having talked about how great the two characters are and how the comic thrives on their interactions I'd like to trip myself up by looking at Alex in particular. He's an amazing character used to discuss some complex issues and feelings, feelings I'm sure many early teens will relate to and which I think are handled really well and sensitively in Mega Robo Bros. Well sensitively despite the fact I could only find the bombastic photo above to really catch the feelings Alex has to deal with.

Alex is entering his teen years and that's a challenging time as you are start to come to terms with who you are more consiously. But he's a robot as well, yet he has human feelings. He seems to identify as male, at least initially, but what does that mean when you are not physically confined to your biological sex? Neill Cameron uses Alex really well to explore gender identity in a way I imagine really reaches out to its audience. It doesn't preach, it doesn't draw distinct conclusions, rather it looks at the difficulties dealing with your sense of identity must create for anyone in their teens. I can't even imagine what that must be like. As of yet none of my immediate family has dealt with such questions. As a reader though I gain an incredible amount of insight into the questions and complexities this must bring. So while this aspect of the story may well provide solace to those experiencing similar questions, arguably more importantly it allows older readers, parents, the opportunity to reflect on those experiences and start to learn.

That's a powerful and wonderful thing comics of this type are able to do. All ages stories aren't just the absence of swearing or nudity. They can tackle issues and new learning in a way that safely and successfully enables readers of all perspectives and situations to engage. They can challenge fixed views, open minds, make us adults, 'woke' (wear that badge with pride, being 'woke' is a massive positive it implies open minds and an acceptance of change and development). They can allow us insight into things we might struggle to understand and embrace.

From my perspective and I'm open to alternative views absolutely, Mega Robo Bros does this incredibly well. I certainly learnt from it as a 50+ cis male. Now that's all ages comics at their very best.

Speaking of woke, let's discuss the wonderful supporting cast of the series. Beyond the brothers themselves there is a fantastic cast of characters. Alex and Freddy's parents and their always slightly frazzled relationship with two young 'boys' I'm particularly fond of simply 'cos I can relate to their struggles to try to contain two energetic youngsters. Admittedly my challenges in that arena involve slightly less worrying about combat with giant robot villains and household destruction, but principally they are the same!

Outside the family there is a rich cast of different characters from different backgrounds and abilities. Different needs and perspectives and they are all presented really well. There is no sense that the diversity of the cast is 'forced' as some on the right of comics fandom will often wail about. The characters just represent the diversity of folks we all see in our daily lives if we open our eyes, and just places them naturally in the story. They live their lives in relation to the two incredible brothers, yet are able to embrace the two exceptional leds as just two kids often up to hi-jinks and mischief. Some comic fans would do well to embrace the differences in us all so openly.

This includes some fantastic villains. Mainstream comics would do as well to create villains to fight our robots as well realised as those in this series.

Amongst this fantastic cast there is even representation from the robotic penguin community. I know I hate it when comics are constantly forcing the robotic penguin agenda into my comics! Particularly when that penguin makes us read phrases and quotes from philosophy. There is a character literally called Stupid Philosophy Penguin who lives with the Sharmas and lurks in the background of the series doing little but quote Satre and his ilk. It's quite the best philosophical flightless bird mechanoid in any comic I know.

Stupid Philosophy Penguin (the name I assume is a warm hearted poke at Phoenix compatriot Evil Empire Penguin.) gave raise to one of my favourite reviews of this series, over at Good Reads which in many ways sums up the delight in this series: 

Quote"Kid: mom, what does 'hell is other people' mean
Me: what?
Kid: in this book, there's this robot penguin, and he keeps saying stuff like that
Me: what?
Kid: he also says, "existence is an imperfection"
Me: he's quoting Sartre!?!

Needless to say I had to read this. And it was such a pleasant surprise. Silly but with some really heady concepts snuck into an action packed story."

From 'Ellen' over at Good Reads (linked to below)

Now tell me you don't want to read this after reading that!

For all that talk of this comic series having great themes, ideas, grounded characters in a fantastical world and philosophy we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that it also has a lot of flying robots smackin' the bejeezus out of each other. It's an action adventure story told at thrilling pace and with relentless energy.

This is carried perfectly by Neill Cameron's exemplary art. If I was to imagine my perfect 2000ad Regened artist, multiply them by the very best all ages art I've seen and mix that up with the thrilling dynamics of 2000ad art at its best the end product would be Neill Cameron. His art on this series is simply put magnificent. His designs are spot on, they feel fresh, modern yet somehow filtered through the best sci-fi design from classic periods of the genre.

His character work is clear and perfectly delivered. This is shown by how he captures so much human emotion and readable reaction to situations in Alex and Freddy's robotic, inhuman faces. Their eyes are oversized and simplified, but designed to carry so much of their feelings and response to both the mundane and astonishing. It's that ability to throw the astonishing fantasy elements so perfectly into a world, all be a world slightly in the future, that feels so real and lived in. The brothers go to schools we know and have been too, it's just in a world with flying cars and robotic combat.

The way he captures the action scenes is also spot on as well. The adventure elements are kinetic and dynamic. Combat feels solid and violent, yet in a way that while carrying threat and impact is never scary or overly traumatic. Again he is able to do all ages with a true meaning of that phrase.

The series is ongoing and hasn't yet reached a conclusion, though Cameron has said he is bringing it to a close. The good news is the final collection is due out May this year which suggests the final series is going to be starting soon in The Phoenix*. The fact that I'm so excited to have discovered this while reading up for this entry is all you need to know about how amazing these comics are! The prospect of the final chapter of Mega Robo Bros coming soon is as thrilling to me as the news of any of the great 2000ad series we have returning soon and that says it all.

*Inbetween writing this and posting the final series has started and the first two episode, which is all we have as I type this, have been simply incredible. Its must read stuff.

Where to find it

There are six handy dandy 'Dog Man' sized collections that bring you up to date. Why not order them from Neill Cameron's website, supporting the creator directly. Though he only has the first 5 volumes listed, do you might want to go direct to The Phoenix Shop which has all six and support this brilliant comic directly.

At this time alas I don't think these are available digitally. The Phoenix has a mission to get comics into kids literal hands so I'm not sure if there are plans for this to change any time soon.

Learn more

Once again no Obligatory Wikipedia page.

Neill Cameron has a Substack - which appears to be free, so why not go direct to the horse mouth? I've pulled out a couple of articles there's likely more.

TV Tropes has a page...

Errr...very cute video review, that you'll adore if you have a cold dead heart.

Erm... if you want to learn to draw Mega Robo Bros Neill Cameron has that covered...

Errr that aside not a load. So good thoughts on Good Reads. One of which I've quoted above so needs to be included.

Look there's not enough out there about these wonderful comics. Maybe we all need to do something about that!

What is all this?

Conscious that this is becoming a long thread and if you're wondering what the heck you've just read and can't be arsed (quite sensibly) to search back to find out I'll link to my opening posts that try to explain all this.

What this all came from

And of course a nerd won't do a list like this without setting 'Rules' / guidelines

Some thoughts on what will not be on the list.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Vector14

I'm looking forward to when my kids are a bit older so I can start buying The Phoenix.

Hawkmumbler

This reads like the type of comic I would have wanted in my life as a kid, and even got that little excited fizzle you feel when discovering something like that, anything that can awaken that sort of unfiltered glee in my blackened sick bones must surely have 'the juice'*. Maybe we're all just kids at heart.

Six volumes you say? Oh I think I can make room for that on the 'too read' pile.

*Are kids still saying that, god I'm getting old.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Vector14 on 07 March, 2024, 11:19:55 AMI'm looking forward to when my kids are a bit older so I can start buying The Phoenix.

I'm afraid I don't think it is. I think part of there mission is to get kids off screens and that's even if they are reading from screens. Its a shame as it closes opportunity for some folks.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 07 March, 2024, 12:08:55 PMThis reads like the type of comic I would have wanted in my life as a kid, and even got that little excited fizzle you feel when discovering something like that, anything that can awaken that sort of unfiltered glee in my blackened sick bones must surely have 'the juice'*. Maybe we're all just kids at heart.

Six volumes you say? Oh I think I can make room for that on the 'too read' pile.

*Are kids still saying that, god I'm getting old.

Go on try one - for a tenner you can't go too wrong ... and you worry about being old - you've met me Zac imagine what I'm like these days!

Colin YNWA

Number 96 - Brass Sun

Keywords: 2000ad, World Building, Quest, hiatus

Creators:
Writer - Ian Edginton
Art - INJ Culbard
Colours - INJ Culbard

Publisher: Rebellion

No. issues: Page count equivalent of about 16ish US comics
Date of Publication: 2012 - to date... we hope...

Last read: 2018 but ongoing... we hope...

If there's one thing that Ian Edginton does really well it's creating a world or universe immaculately and then gift us characters with a quest that allows us to explore that universe in a way that matters. In

Copyright - Rebellion

he does that about as well as he's ever done it alongside INJ Culbard. Indeed about as well as it's ever been done in the comics I've read.

The main trouble with Brass Sun is that other Ian Edginton trope of setting things up, getting us fully invested in a series and then getting distracted by his next new and shiny projects and leaving us hanging while the series goes on an extended hiatus. And so it is with Brass Sun. Which is such a shame. Now there's always a good reason for this and to be fair to Edginton there will be all sorts of reasons for this, and in this instance it may well be the fact that INJ Culbard is in such demand. Since Brass Sun was last with us in 2018 - gulp has it really been that long! - INJ Culbard has given us series that are arguably even better, as this list will testify, such as Brink and more Wild's End. So it's not like its absence has robbed us of good comics, far from it. It's just I am left to wonder how much higher this series might have been if it'd carried on its original momentum and by now likely got to its conclusion.

We might find out in a few years. After all as much as he drops things Edginton does seem to get back to them in the end. We wait patiently!... and wait... and wait...

Mind I'm getting ahead of myself. While Brass Sun is our 3rd entry from the Galaxy's Greatest, since it has not been with us for almost 6 years now there may well be readers not familiar with it, even here.

Copyright - Rebellion

The series follows Wren, a young woman who lives on a 'planet' in a clockwork solar system, a literal orrery of worlds. She is forced away from her home when it becomes clear that the sun at the centre of that mechanical system starts to slow down and cool. She travels along the framework of tubes that connect the worlds and moons orbiting that sun to find out why this is happening in the hope of starting things moving again and save her reality. Along the way she meets a host of wonderful characters, endless challenges and Kurt Vonnegut.

The scale of Ian Edginton's ability for world building is made clear by the fact that Brass Sun is set firmly in the wider Edgiverse. A fan created term (is it - I don't think Edginton references it himself does he?) for the interconnections he creates with all his stories. Little common ideas and characters that appear across multiple stories of his. This really adds a sense of scale, magnitude and significance to all his 2000ad stories. It also provides a sense of mystery as while the hints and nods are small, just glimpses of the things that connect the stories and their worlds it allows the reader's mind to wonder what the larger connections are.

Being a superhero nerd it also makes me lust after a big 'Crisis in the Edgiverse' crossover event. I mean it won't and shouldn't happen, but boy oh boy wouldn't that be fun!

Copyright - Rebellion

And boy oh boy what worlds the creators take us to. I've seen Brass Sun described as 'Clockwork Punk', like steampunk but with more cogs I guess. I assume this is a known term that fills a niche in the vastness of sci-fi fiction but this is the first time I've been exposed to it. Each world Wren and her companions travel to is amazingly realised with distinct characters and drivers that create fresh challenges and perspectives. Each world allows the ongoing story to start afresh and present new ideas and themes, while the core quest element stands front and centre. This works perfectly for the episodic nature of a 2000ad story. The 6 pages and done thrill blasts that Tharg provides us, the 'book' or 'chapter' format that creative process require are used to perfect effect in Brass Sun.

It feels like a story perfectly crafted to fit within 2000ad's restrictions, which in many ways are also one of its key strengths, and turns those restrictions into real benefits, supporting the way the story unfolds to the reader. We move through worlds and characters at a heady pace, though I should note this never feels rushed. The six page chunks (or 5, I think Brass Sun might more regularly be 5?) allow a healthy helping of introduction to the worlds we visit. Set up the challenge, work to overcome that challenge, move on and repeat.

While that structure does repeat it never feels artificial or manufactured for the sake of it. The underlying quest necessitates that movement and repetition. This also allows the individual chapters to feel bookended and satisfying in their own right. Each chapter typically focuses on one world then moves on, introducing the next world towards the end to leave is hankering for more - well that's part of why the enforced break we have feels so cruel. I'm always left in each chapter feeling the main plot has moved on, characters have grown and everything is progressing, but each one provides a singular story or adventure that makes sense on its own.

Edginton has been writing for 2000ad for years now and this is a culmination of that experience and Brass Sun feels perfectly structured and formatted for 2000ad.

Copyright - Rebellion

This exploration of the worlds also provides the perfect opportunity to discuss how superb INJ Culbard's art is on the series. The relentless creative demands of the exploration are satisfied and more artistically. Each world just cries out for ideas and imagination, and Culbard isn't wanting for that. The different environments are all distinct and feel fully realised, even if we aren't staying there for long. Each has its own colour palette that gives a simple yet entirely effective cue as to the changes we are finding in each. It quickly and intuitively lets the reader know we are somewhere else, that this next world is different. Having done that however Culbard never rests on his laurels he fills each world with wonderful details and touches that add more than the story will ever be able to get to.

The story presents worlds through the lens of Wren's quest. Culbard's art makes it clear that there is much more beyond that and makes each planet, or moon, each environment or biome feel so much more than we see and opens the scale and wonder of the series up in astonishing ways.

This character work is impeccable as well. Again this story is hungry, its cast is vast as we shoot along the tubes to fresh places and the people that inhabit them. Yet again he never skimps or cuts corners. Even characters who appear for only a few episodes have fantastic designs and add to the complexity of the worlds we might not get to see. They feel perfectly in place.

The way he handles intimate character moments and the characters' interactions and emotional engagement is also near perfect. His drawing might feel deceptively simple at times but he adds enough to each character moment to carry its weight and importance, but not adding too much so that it distracts from that moment. He understands that at times less is more. This is possibly best exemplified by the ways Wren and a couple of their long term companions grow and develop as their adventure progresses. You can literally see the impact the relentless journey Wren is undertaking is having in her. In her features, her expressions and her body language. I can see the weight she is having to bear, the toll it is taking on her in just the way she stands, in the way she looks on the astonishing world's around her.

It's truly one of 2000ad's most complete artistic achievements and demonstrates so much about what makes the comic artistically the Galaxy's Greatest.

Copyright - Rebellion

Of course none of that exquisite world building matters if we don't care for the characters who inhabit the universe. And the story makes us care so much. Wren is clearly the highlight and an absolutely fantastic character. Raised by her grandfather in a restrictive society she struggles when thrown into the wider world her quest takes her on. She's not your typical questing hero. She has a mission, is dedicated to trying to complete it, is brave and resourceful, but frankly not happy about it all. She can be cantankerous and harsh to her companions, unforgiving and even angry. Which is hardly a surprise when you consider the enormity of what she hopes to do, has to achieve and is exposed to from her humble origins.

She's no victim, but at the same time the impact of what she is exposed to weighs on her and she reacts as many of us would, often given to anger when the pressure builds. She feels wonderfully relatable and honest as a character and has rapidly become one of my favourites in 2000ad's rich history.

She is also surrounded by a fantastic supporting cast that drifts in and out of the story. I'm particularly fond of her almost constant companion, Septimus (named by Wren they were originally just given a designation based on his role looking after the tubes Wren travels.) and Ramkin who they encounter on the first world Wren and Septimus arrive at and is forced to reluctantly tag along with them. The biting relationship between these three, well poor old meek Septimus often bearing the brunt of that from the other two, was so engaging and fun. The tensions between the three played so well as Wren and Septimus grew closer in adversity and Septimus sniped at them. I was genuinely sad when Ramkin left the party as they had such a great dynamic between them all.

Even the characters whose impact on the story has been much shorter have been quite superb at times. For example The Scarlet Duke, the oafish ruler of Ramkin's homeworld was a supreme worthless leader. Easily manipulated by those that surrounded him, small minded and bitter. A vile villain, but a fantastic character to read. I was disappointed when it became clear he wasn't going to be a major part of the story. Add to that godlike spirit the Watchmaker who appears to Wren to provide cryptic guidance and advice. Delightfully appearing in the guise of two of my favourite authors Mark Twain and Kurt Vonnegut. Then there's relentless golden hunters filling the role of the most frightening of villains. The characters that Wren encounters all add so much to the rich tapestry Brass Sun weaves.

Copyright - Rebellion

The cliche of the character driven story certainly holds true in this instance. Brass Sun just happens to also perfectly balance that with superb world building to make a thrill of the absolute highest order. While it's a real shame that it's been on hiatus for so long, the fact that this is so disappointing and I've so much anticipation for when the series will finally come back is testament to why this series has a place on this list.

Where to find it

The Rebellion Webshop has a lovely hardcover of the first three arcs. These are reprinted from a six issue america release that was experimented with in 2014. These are also available digitally still - though to be honest if you are going digital just get the digital edition of the collection as it's a little cheaper and has all the bonus materials.

Aside from that the remaining stories have only been made available via the Hachette 2000ad Ultimate Collection. At the time of typing these seem to still be available and are probably the best way to get the story to date physically at a very good price to boot.

One has to hope that once the series picks up in the Prog future collections will become available via Rebellion and we'll have this superb series collected completely.

Learn more

As ever with 2000ad stuff forget yah Wiki-Whatever and go straight to 2000ad in Stages or Barney

I mean there is an Obligatory Wikipedia page.

A-Z of 2000ad has a great video summary of the series as well.

Multiversity Comics has a great short interview with Ian Edginton about the series as well.

What is all this?

Conscious that this is becoming a long thread and if you're wondering what the heck you've just read and can't be arsed (quite sensibly) to search back to find out I'll link to my opening posts that try to explain all this.

What this all came from

And of course a nerd won't do a list like this without setting 'Rules' / guidelines

Some thoughts on what will not be on the list.

broodblik

Brass Sun is amazing just wish Ian Edginton can finish it in this millennia
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Hawkmumbler

Brass Sun was one of the 'new' strips on the block when I started reading the prog in late 2011/early 2012, and holds a very special significance as a result of that, being among the first ongoing strips I got to engage in from the ground up.

The fact a decade on I'm still eagerly awaiting the next instalment despite all the delays is testament to how powerful that feeling is, one of the greats of the prog in my estimation.

Barrington Boots

Unpopular opinion I know, but I found Brass Sun to be something so unengaging I would read it each week but then have the contents of each episode slip from my mind like water. I literally can't remember seeing any of those pages before.

I keep thinking about going back to the progs for focused a re-read of the whole thing. It's so highly rated by so many that I must be missing out.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

I really liked Brass Sun, but good grief at the gap between books. I know there are probably good reasons for it, but we're almost heading into John Smith territory with this one.

Mega Robo Bros is an interesting entry. I'm surprised Cameron is finishing it, because it's so wildly popular. (The only thing in The Phoenix that has more clout is Bunny vs Monkey, and it's a close run thing.) And I agree that this is a perfect template for Regened, but I get the impression Regened tried to pitch itself as the next step after The Phoenix, despite not really being more mature in any meaningful sense. (I mean, The Phoenix is currently running the latest series of No Country, a painfully zoomed in view of how a family deals with the repercussions of an attempted far-right takeover of the UK.)

As for The Phoenix only being in print, that does have its problems, not least because the comic has never managed to get wide distribution. (My local WHSmith seems to carry far more niche comics, but never The Phoenix.) Still, if you have kids, the publisher's still doing its 'six issues for a quid' trial, and the new chunky format collections represent excellent value.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 March, 2024, 09:54:28 AMI really liked Brass Sun, but good grief at the gap between books. I know there are probably good reasons for it, but ....I mean, The Phoenix is currently running the latest series of No Country, a painfully zoomed in view of how a family deals with the repercussions of an attempted far-right takeover of the UK....

No Country is so good. I suspect that the only reason its not on the list (spoilers!) is its infrequent nature - oh how timely) means I can lose sight of it.

The thing it does really well is open conversation about what it most be like to be someone fleeing conflicit who will become an asylum seeker, while exposing the divisions and right wing tendancy that barely hide below the surface of the UK. Such a good series.