Main Menu

Hellboy fans?

Started by ElliotJA, 14 January, 2012, 04:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: djangoesque on 15 January, 2012, 10:33:41 AM
I got into Hellboy a year or so ago and I'm loving it (I often think it wouldn't be out of place in prog!), I've just read book 5, I'd love to give BPRD a go but I can't seem to find the 1st TPB anywhere!.

Well, the point at which BPRD spins off from the main Hellboy storyline is when HB quits the Bureau at the end of Conqueror Worm, so you've picked the best place to do it!

Dark Horse have discontinued the original softcover BPRD trades - they're still bringing out new ones, but not reprinting the old once they're out of print, which is probably why you can't find the first trade. Instead, they've recently begun re-collecting BPRD from the beginning in a series of chunky hardcover omnibus editions - http://www.amazon.co.uk/B-P-R-D-Plague-Frogs-Hardcover-Collection/dp/1595826092/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326649066&sr=8-2 - which actually work out cheaper than buying the original trades seperately. If hardcover isn't your thing, the omnibus editions are also getting paperback versions  later this year.

@jamesfeistdraws

ICONIC_TM

Six Foot Tall Has A Tail And Is Government Funded! (Classic Line) Also Has A Thing For Cats.

djangoesque

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 January, 2012, 05:40:26 PM
Quote from: djangoesque on 15 January, 2012, 10:33:41 AM
I got into Hellboy a year or so ago and I'm loving it (I often think it wouldn't be out of place in prog!), I've just read book 5, I'd love to give BPRD a go but I can't seem to find the 1st TPB anywhere!.

Well, the point at which BPRD spins off from the main Hellboy storyline is when HB quits the Bureau at the end of Conqueror Worm, so you've picked the best place to do it!

Dark Horse have discontinued the original softcover BPRD trades - they're still bringing out new ones, but not reprinting the old once they're out of print, which is probably why you can't find the first trade. Instead, they've recently begun re-collecting BPRD from the beginning in a series of chunky hardcover omnibus editions - http://www.amazon.co.uk/B-P-R-D-Plague-Frogs-Hardcover-Collection/dp/1595826092/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326649066&sr=8-2 - which actually work out cheaper than buying the original trades seperately. If hardcover isn't your thing, the omnibus editions are also getting paperback versions  later this year.

Oh!, now I see, I'd seen that book in the shops and I assumed it was a later story, I shall order it next pay day, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Ignatzmonster

Yeah I'm a fan. Have picked up most of the books in the Mignolaverse and, though sometimes I think Mignola makes a mistake trying to tie things together or wrap up plot points that would have felt more realistic being left open, I usually feel it was money well spent. Mignola has IMO next to Tharg one of the best stable of artists out there.

ElliotJA

Has anyone here read those crossover stories where Hellboy meets DC's Batman and Starman, and Dark Horse's Ghost? They're some of my favourite Hellboy tales.

mogzilla

i prefer the single "day in the life" tales rather than the overall arc simply for the variety and the whole folklore thang ... try the odd jobs short stories as well (about three collections) theyre very good.

ElliotJA

Quote from: mogzilla on 17 January, 2012, 08:51:13 PM
... try the odd jobs short stories as well (about three collections) theyre very good.

I bought the third volume in that series, Oddest Jobs, a couple days ago. Just ordered the first volume, looking forward to it very much!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: ElliotJA on 17 January, 2012, 03:40:11 PM
Has anyone here read those crossover stories where Hellboy meets DC's Batman and Starman, and Dark Horse's Ghost? They're some of my favourite Hellboy tales.

I wasn't too keen, myself - not least because I'd never heard of bloody Starman or Ghost! I thought the best crossover was HB in The Goon's world - if only because because the big red trenchcoated demon plays the straight guy to a cast of lunatics that proves too weird even for him to cope with. Absolutely hilarious stuff.

@jamesfeistdraws

ICONIC_TM

HB In Goon,s World,

Omniverse Map Is All Ways Enlightening On The Crossover Front,

You,ll find it here.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/o/omnimap.htm

ElliotJA

Quote from: MARVELMAGPIE on 18 January, 2012, 12:16:46 AM
HB In Goon,s World,

Omniverse Map Is All Ways Enlightening On The Crossover Front,

You,ll find it here.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/o/omnimap.htm

Absolutely brilliant. I already knew of this, but thanks for sharing it on this forum anyway,

ElliotJA

Anyone read The Island, collected in the TPB Strange Places? It's a good story and I like it, but part of me can't help wishing Mignola had stuck to his original idea of the story being a pastiche of William Hope Hodgson's grisly sea tales. The unfinished version of the original, with Hellboy fighting shipwrecked sailors mutated into fungus monsters, can be seen in the same TPB.

vark

Perhaps some Hellboy/Mignola fans will be interested by this information; after The third Wish, there will be a second B&W special (probably limited) edition of an Hellboy story to be published exclusively in France, "Hellboy en Enfer" (Hellboy in hell).
Here is the cover from the Facebook page of the editor (Delcourt): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=182071738626658&set=a.142442055922960.1073741825.141498786017287&type=1&theater.
To be published November the 20th.

willthemightyW

Yup! Hellboy is what got me into collecting comics! Though it's probably already been said, they recently released a hard cover of The Amazing Screw on Head and other Curious Objects, which I thoroughly recommend, as well as the animated adaptation of The Amazing Screw on Head that was a pilot for sci-fi, how it didn't get picked up I'll never know!

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.