Main Menu

Please get rid of Dan Abnett.

Started by Thread Zero, 04 April, 2002, 11:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Well, the view of a writer on the borders of 2000AD is quite welcome and obviously valid.

"The fact that almost everything in the prog has been 'pretty good' recently (and in that I include all the stuff you've all been calling 'stinkers'"

I think the quality of some of the filler strips has been appalling (not a dig at you by the way) but these one off series, all seem to have been almost great but just okay.  Just okay isn't a crime in itself, it's just the sheer volume of them which is worrying and the lack of anything new to really break through.  Overall the quality of 2000AD is probably as good now as it has been for ten years.  No mean feat!  Now if it was as good as the last twenty years, then we've probably hit the target.

Fully agree (as I've said elsewhere) with your views on editorial duties.  It would be interesting to know what editors thought of some strips throughout the process from commissioning to publication and how they difffered from what they imagined them to be.  I just think that at the end of the day someone should be responsible, but not without crediting for the good they have done in the job.

I think a MAJOR problem with 2000AD is that you have (on the whole) a fairly sophisticated (as far as comics go) readership which is also roughly the same age group as creators and editorial staff.  I think therefore that editors should push what they have to as sophisticated level as possible.  

A lot of what we regard for classics was written for kids.  I feel a lot of strips produced are aimed at teenagers, and often less mature than the kids strips.  I may be wrong, but they just have that mentality about them.  lot of readers are hitting thirty about now, they've read watchmen and a lot of mature (by which I don't mean tits/swearing and spitting) material.

Rambo

I think you've hit the nail on the head, there. 2000AD's readers are the same people as 10, 15 years ago. Our tastes have matured a lot since then.

Anyone know what the average age of the 2000AD reader is?

Thread Zero

Ok I will nick it then. :)

I mean epic as in big. Not necessarily a one off tale.

scojo the thief

Leigh S

Yes he can Scojo, as he was the assistant editor at the time, and I believe he pushed for Nemesis's return.

Rambo

It just seems that everything these days is an "epic" or worse still, a "mega-epic". Gimme a break!

W. R. Logan

At 15:45 04/04/02 -0600, you wrote:
>I have a theory. I reckon the new Rogue, VC's and Stronty represent a fundamental shift in editorial policy.

This must piss on your strawberries scoje as all the above were commisioned by Dig-L 8-)

>Sorry Andy, but there you failed big time.

Now I await Scojo's pissy reply 8-)

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/" target="_blank">Class of '79

http://www.2000adonline.com/images/artwork/roguepj_thumb.jpg">

Thread Zero

Ok I will let you off moo moo!:)

scojo

Thread Zero

Are you sure he did?

100% sure?

I need some proof. Where is it?

Andy didn't mention them when he talked about his commissions on the 2k ng.

However...

If he did, then I APOLOGISE.

I am sorry Andy.

scojo admitting defeat.

Can I go now?

paulvonscott

Oh can't you say something childish and aggravating, then you and Logan can behave like a couple of retarded sea lions as usual.

The Amstor Computer

Not to be too argumentative here Scojo, but something worth considering:

You want proof & 100% confidence that Andy DID commission those strips, but you pretty obviously didn't have either when you condemned his entire tenure. True, you can't always have the complete story every time, but maybe that's an argument for avoiding blanket statements?

W. R. Logan

>Oh can't you say something childish and aggravating, then you and Logan can behave like a couple of retarded sea lions as usual.

Retarded Sea Lions? Now thats a description worthy of being seen in a script 8-)

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/" target="_blank">Class Of '79

http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/FISH.GAME/wildlife/geninfo/game/sealion1.jpg">

paulvonscott

Hey, I could send you a synopsis

Forget shako... Retarded Sea Lions!

I have seen the future...

O Lucky Stevie!

>Hey, I could send you a synopsis

Forget shako... Retarded Sea Lions!

I have seen the future...

how about visible retarded sea lions, pvs? mutated by radioactive waste dumped in the north sea...

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

>The guy has just woken up to find his race is extinct, he's a clone, and those ugly alien gits are his only companions in a strange and hostile unverse.

>He's hardly going to be in the mood for witty lines, is he???

is this atavar or scojo whom you are referring to here, rambo?

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
(who--living in oz--is awaiting the arrival of the 25th annivarsary prog next week)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Thread Zero

New new new!

All new deluxe blankets. Don't be left outside cold this winter.

Try scojo's new insulated blankets.

At all good shooshi stores now. Priced ?10.00

This was a scojo blanket statement.

scojo