Main Menu

Girls grow up to be women, boys grow up to be boys...

Started by plastikman, 06 May, 2002, 04:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Yes, that was rather naughty that.  But do they called NE Scotland simply 'the North East' in general conversation.

I had a similar friendly discussion with a scot and he said I should claim I was from the midlands due to geographical position.  That's a bit of an odd view, but then i never used to think of Manchester as being in the North.

while I argued that because I was in England I could say what the hell I liked :)  Obviously if I said NE in Scotland, then maybe that.

Anyway I live in the North East.  I supsect Wales and Scotland have specific terms for such areas, while England is split up into large regions.  For instance is there a Welsh or Scottish Midlands?

Anyway, I did it knowingly, which makes me a very bad man indeed :) as it is infuriatingly vague.

Cheers

Paul

paulvonscott

Ah well, next time I'll say I'm from the ancient Kingdom of Northumbria.  

Independance for Northumbria!

http://www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk/where.htm

Mudcrab

Yeah, "The North East" seems to be said in each country. There is a Scottish Midlands, kind of, but it gets called the Central Belt for some reason. It's not really in the centre and would make a rather strange belt, but there you go!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

paulvonscott

ah, i thought they may have a better regional system, as i always assumed they hadn't been cut into pieces like england has, however i suspect that strange councils are imposed everywhere and of course everyone uses the compass points to say where they are from.

other countries should be banned from having a north east.  it would make my life easier.

Mudcrab

Strange councils is right!!! Once upon a time I lived in Aberdeenshire, then I lived in Grampian, luckily enough, within the boundaries of both. Then they changed it back, I no longer live in Aberdeenshire, but in the City of Aberdeen. My family's still in Aberdeenshire, but I'm not, cos I'm in Aberdeen. This is probably why we have to call it the North East, or else we'd have no idea where we lived!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

paulvonscott

I've been to Aberdeen, that sea looks a bit parky.  I have a mate who lives up in Cruden Bay.  I think that's near Aldie, even further NE.

Mudcrab

"I've been to Aberdeen, that sea looks a bit parky. I have a mate who lives up in Cruden Bay. I think that's near Aldie, even further NE."

Cruden Bay's further North East, but Aldie's down near Perth. I'd never actually heard of it till I looked it up just now! Cruden Bay's near Peterheid (Peterhead), which is nearly as far NE as you can go. Lovely place!

Yep, the sea here is not meant for mortals to approach, although some strange alien surfers appear there now and again, along with mothers shoving their kids in and saying "Stop moaning it's only water" as they freeze to death!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Something Fishy

I like your stance mate.

we have the same views down here.

I'm from the ancient kingdom of Kernow.

Independance for Cornwall.
Kernow Bys Vyken!!

Link: http://www.mebyon.kernow.eu.org/" target="_blank">http://www.mebyon.kernow.eu.org/

paulvonscott

No, I got Aldie from somewhere else, Peterhead, that's right.  I have the memory of a pebble.  When I was in Aberdeen, the sea was a murky brown colour.  Up in Cruden Bay it was a lot nicer.  I even had a paddle.  Fecking freezing.

Apparently those wee scunners up there try to claim that Cruden Bay was the inspiriation for Dracula.  No I say!

I enjoyed that weird ruined castle/house but had a slight attack of vertigo while I was up the tower bit.  Nightmare.

uncle fester

I'd just like to say as a relocated unfortunate, it gives me great satisfaction to sit in a tube packed full of people in London, with their smart suits, gucci handbags, and copies of the FT or whatever, and start reading Watchmen or Top 10 or whatever I happen to have that day.

Because for the first minute they all sneer.
And then one by one - even though they'll never admit it in public - they all start to read it over my shoulder.

I have even been drawing my own stuff on the tube and been interupted by a business woman who kindly corrected my spelling in one panel!

Proof, if it was needed, that they're secretly intrigued by comics even today.

Jenny-Mek

No, I'm sorry, they're right about comics and they're right about you.

Oddboy

That used to be an ad in 2000AD - drawn by Brett Ewins I think.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Mudcrab

"Apparently those wee scunners up there try to claim that Cruden Bay was the inspiriation for Dracula."

It was!! The weird ruined castle is Slains castle (no relation), where Bram Stoker stayed at one point. This is from a website about it

"This is one of the most famous ruins in Scotland. Slains was first erected in 1597 by the 9th Earl of Erroll. Subsequent Earls rebuilt and added to the castle, the last great reconstruction being completed in 1837.

Slains enjoyed its greatest days during the time of the 19th Earl when it often played host to the glittering actors, musicians and singers of the day.

Amongst the guests was Bram Stoker who was entranced by the surrounding countryside which inspired many of his supernatural tales. In 1895 he began writing his best known tale, Dracula, while at Cruden Bay and he used Slains Castle as the inspiration for the castle of the evil Vampire."

NEGOTIATION'S OVER!