Main Menu

Albion #1

Started by paulvonscott, 01 July, 2005, 02:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

I've read Albion No.1 and I have to say I really enjoyed it.  There's a lot to it in term of story threads etc. but the first issue at least feels like a really gentle dipping of the toe into troubled waters.  And it's quite exciting, with it's sense of trepidation and wonder.

You don't need to know the characters from lots of obscure comic books, I know about 3 of them, and one of them is Archie!  If you're a comic reader now, or have been in the past, I think it should have something for you.

Above all, it seemed to me to have a touch of magic about it, it's about comics, and nostalgia, and how it all subtly invades the everyday world.  Plotted by Pappa Moore, Scripted by John Reppion and Leah Moore, Art by Shane Oakley and George Freeman, and a lovely cover by Mr Gibbons.

The ashcan edition which had only the first 13 pages in, and was in B/W really didn't do the story or the art jsutice.  The art is coloured and has real depth and warmth to it, and the story seems much richer, and makes a lot more sense.

So anyway, it's not as if I buy many comics, but I am buying this one.  I think I'd find it hard after reading the first issue not to try the second.

FuzzChile

Looking forward to the Return of Captain Hurricane, I was a bit too young for Valiant but I remember a few of his strips when it merged with Battle.

Link: http://fuzzchile.deviantart.com/gallery" target="_blank">http://fuzzchile.deviantart.com/gallery

Byron Virgo

No Captain Hurricane in the first issue (though it looks like he'll turn up in issue 2), but it's still extraodinarily entertaining trying to spot all the different characters cropping up.

I won't spoil anything for people, except to say...Faceache!

thinky

I won't spoil anything for people, except to say...Faceache!

spoil it? if anything that's made me even more determined to get a copy!

thinky
once a chip-ite, always a chip-ite
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Satanist

I read this last night and loved it. Its a real love letter to comics and I cant recomend it enough.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Funt Solo

Where did you get it from?
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Satanist

F. Planet (Glasgow)got it in yesterday so it should be out all over.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Oddboy

I almost got it yesterday, but I didn't.... don't want to start getting *more* comics again-probably wait for the inevitable tpb if y'all rate it highly.

Ace cover image though.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Generally Contrary

Yes, but are the Numbskulls and Baby Crockett in it?

Bolt-01

Numbskulls you say.....

hmmm....

Bolt-01

Richmond Clements

They were in The Beezer.

Tordelbach

ALBION No. 1 SPOILERS....

Sheesh, I dunno, I thought the plot felt a bit by-the-numbers, but the Janus Stark tale (always a fave of mine, creepy bastard) was very well done.  

As with things of this nature, it must be hard to know where to draw the line - are ALL the British characters real, and thus we're in Top Ten territory where Gnasher and (as mentioned) the Numbskulls roam freely, or is this Zenith-land, where only more humanised versions of certain characters live (like Billy Whizz).  

I'm assuming the large scary lady is Beryl the Peril (or Minne the Minx?).  

Oddboy

I'd asume that Dandy & Beano characters would be out-of-bounds, seeing as the comics are still running.. (and I think Numbskulls have been in both of them, dunno if they're still in Beano now though).

Better set your phaser to stun.

Byron Virgo

I think I worked out who the bloke at the start is, but I won't say as I don't want to spoil it for anyone (or in case I am disastrously wong).

Tiplodocus

See - everybody remembers The Numskulls.

We're on a winner, I tell ya.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!