Main Menu

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Started by Pete Wells, 19 November, 2005, 05:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Went to see this last night and came away pretty happy. I'm not a huge Potter fan so I went without high hopes or expecations.

I found the film to be quite bitty (not a reference to Little Britain there) and pretty slow to start. It looked great most of the time but, for most of the film, didn't really match the dark tone of Askaban which is something I was hoping for.

The characters were fun, particularly Ron, with lots of the laughs coming from the arkwardness of the hormone packed teenagers (who lets face it, are beginning to look in their early twenties now!) around member of the opposite sex.

According to Mrs Pete, lots and lots of stuff was cut from the book, most noticably for me was in the first task of the Tri-Wizard tornament. The four entrants each have to fight a dragon and we are simply told over a PA system that three of them have beaten their dragons. I would have like to have seen a bit of this, even in a montage or something!

In all though, I enjoyed it and look forward to seeing how the series ends up. Sorry this 'review' is a bit vague but I don't want blab any spoilers (unlike Mrs Pete told me the fucking end on Thursday night, grrr!)

Pete.

Carlsborg Expert

What did you reckon to Tennant performance the Pete?

Pete Wells

He was cool - very manic and reptillian. He kept darting his tongue out and hissing - yikes!

Carlsborg Expert

Heh. Yeah.

Hes a clever little nutter.Very ufamiliar to his Dr who role.

Bico

I liked the bit at the Quidditch World Cup, where explosions could be heard and someone shouts "it's the Irish!"
They always cut a lot from the books, though.  The poltergeist hasn't been in any of the films so far, and a lot of the younger fans have noticed his absence.

Misanthrope

"The poltergeist hasn't been in any of the films"

The annoying thing is all these scenes were filmed. Rik Mayell played the part of Peeves.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Woolly

"The annoying thing is all these scenes were filmed. Rik Mayell played the part of Peeves."

Alas, only for the first film. Shame he was cut, he'd be perfect for the part (in the absence of Wilfred Bramble!)

Proudhuff

Enjoyed it, I understand the bitty comment, as a review said 'you've got to surrender yourself to the ride'
The only compliant is all that bloody long hair!! gerryer haircut you orrible little muggblood!

Huff the gilliweed
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Possible

Spoilers

Enjoyed it but I thought it was pretty unfocused and had a very anti-climactic ending.  

And as with the others, it's full of characters behaving a certain way just because the plot demands it of them.

Whole scenarios being set up and then tossed casually away or ignored for half an hour while another plot strand is introduced (rather than deftly inter-woven)

And the really should recast Harry - Daniel Radcliffe is the most egregious of actors.

All the best scenes are early on (the introduction of the other schools was great). Dragons looked pretty cool as well.

I think my favourite bit was the Yule Ball and the way Ron and Harry behaved - I'm pretty sure most teenage boys have been there at some point (except the youth of today, etc. etc).

Voldemort's got no nose! - How does he smell?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!