Main Menu

The Prisoner- remake

Started by johnnystress, 21 November, 2005, 04:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnystress

They're remaking the Prisoner

I fear the worst

Link: http://www.rte.ie/arts/2005/1118/theprisoner.html" target="_blank">bound to be shit

Tu-plang

Method: Take one cult hit, strip it down to its basic premise and piss all over it.

Here's one I prepared earlier.

http://www.screenselect.co.uk/images/products/4/1284-large.jpg">

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Art

South Wales is about to E.X.P.L.O.D.E!

Bico

'Sky One is in talks about bringing back the show'

If it's as good as other Sky entries into the genre of fantasy drama, like Hex, it'll be a stone-cold winner, and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong and living in a dream world of their own creation.
I especially liked the comment from the show's producer - "Although it will be a radical reinvention, it will still be a heightened show with themes such as paranoia, conspiracy and identity crisis."
So it'll be just like every other low-to-no-budget X-Files rip-off cluttering up the digital channels, then?

Eric Plumrose

I seem to have recollection that McGoohan is/was involved with this. At least it isn't the Mel Gibson film that was mooted waaaaaaayyy back.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Bookman

In about twenty years or so, as far as I am aware, there has been only one decent TV remake: Battlestar Galactica. 'Nuff Said.  

Art

Floyd-the-k

I fear this. It's different to Dr Who, which was dying in the arse before it was terminated and which needed a radical reinvention/reimagine/chooseowntossyterm.  
  The Prisoner was perfect. A remake might be good but couldn't be an improvement.

Cthulouis

Rumours of bringing back prisoner surface every now and then to no avail. Could it be too much to hope that this one gets stuck in the same development hell as the others?

Maybe some journalist stumbled upon a village where a load of old spies were being held prisoner and chased by weather baloons and the 'we're remaking prisoner' story was the best cover the Secret Government of the World could come up with.

Proudhuff

Adds a whole new meaning to'Be seeing you'

Huff No Number
DDT did a job on me

Matt Timson

Judas wept- don't talk to me about that fucking horrible Hex program.  'Shit' doesn't even begin to cover it.

Depressingly, Me and Mrs Jeb watched the first series and although not brilliant, we thought it had room to grow- hence watching the second series.

Fuck me ragged- it's just SO fucking bad.  We've stuck with it in the hope that it'll get better, but I consider it an insult to my eyes to have to sit through it, to be honest.  Issues that take about three episodes to resolve ought to be dealt with in about ten minutes and to say that it's 90% feels like filler is actually about the kindest thing I can say about it.

At least I quite fancied the girl in the first series- unlike the dysmorphic bint they're using in this one...

Ugh.
Pffft...

Bico

You're living in a dream world, Eyebrows - don't you read SFX?  The show is sassy and, er... stuff.
I gave up on knowing what was good when i watched the appallingly terrible Space: Above and Beyond, and realised it was not only far from terrible, but better than most other stuff being touted as classic sci-fi at the time.
I'm clueless about Hex, though.  It just seems aimless and poorly written, directed and acted bollocks, and I'm at a loss to explain its supposed appeal.

Matt Timson

It appeals?  To whom?  And should they be beaten for their trouble?
Pffft...

Adrian Bamforth

It'll be (fairly) interesting to see how they reinvent the premise...despite the wierdness the show is basically about a cold war situation: Spies that have become double-agents to the point where noone knows which side they really work for and they have to be kept out the way. They'll have to invent a new political situation with a new enemy.

ADE