Main Menu

Hewlett - Tonights Jonathon Ross.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 25 November, 2005, 02:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Smurf Murphy

Bou: Sorry, you're right, it was Kit. My memories with names is crap. Faces I'm great with.

Oh, how do I find that book on Ebay? I'd like to read it. I know he said that Vertigo offered him a gig at an 88 page GN thing a few years ago but he turned it down on the grounds of feeling like hard work. Besides, the guy's a genius at writing short funny stuff.

Queen Firey-Bou

search 'tank girl' should get it, thats how i found it, mini-bou has recently discovered tankie, so i'm trying to make it a kick-ass kristmass for her.
The artist Kit Wallis, & the other booklet alans done with Kit is called Blazing Fountains, if you can get your hands on it, i recommend.

petemaskreplica

hmmm, I'm in two minds about this. I love early Tank Girl to bits, but the later stuff is pretty dreadful*. But I'll wait and see how it turns out. And if it means new strip stuff from Jamie Hewlett, that's got to be a good thing.

* There are some people who will tell you there was a Tank Girl film. But they'll also tell you there was a Dredd film. they're lying, don't listen to them.

Matt Timson

Pfff... what an annoying interview...
Pffft...

Carlsborg Expert

Hear, hear.

Not enough about Hewligans Haircut but it was in part promotion for tge Gorillaz. I did enjoy the mock up of the green room.It was good they are still being obnoxious enough to speak out about issues left in the wind.

Even if it is not economically viable. Its good a man with money is firing off at hipocracies fully knowing there is no escape forom hypocricy.

Jamie Hewlitt has a son? Where do these illustrators find the time?:o

petemaskreplica

ah, I thought it was pretty much what you'd expect from Wossy. Entertaining, but in the end empty. Surprised he mentioned Dredd rather than 2000ad though, considering what a fanboy he is. And I thought his little rant about how personal his love of comics is was surprisingly touching.

I'm determined to send him an email on Monday demanding he makes a TV series idea about the history of comics. Dammit, if he doesn't, who will?

Conexus

yeah, you should point out that there's loads of small interest group program programs on the beeb, that's kind of it's mandate now it's been told not to chase the ratings.
And you should also say that, if he doesn't do it the only people who'll talk about comics are pretensious art critics who really don't have a clue when it comes to comics, trying to make it out to be something it's not, constantly. And the best shows are presented by people who are clearly passionate about their subject (e.g David Attenbourgh)
You could alway bung in a line about everreducing comic sales, and the implication of that

I'm sure you could phrase it all better  

Conexus

yeah, you should point out that there's loads of small interest group program programs on the beeb, that's kind of it's mandate now it's been told not to chase the ratings.
And you should also say that, if he doesn't do it the only people who'll talk about comics are pretensious art critics who really don't have a clue when it comes to comics, trying to make it out to be something it's not, constantly. And the best shows are presented by people who are clearly passionate about their subject (e.g David Attenbourgh)
You could alway bung in a line about everreducing comic sales, and the implication of that

I'm sure you could phrase it all better though pete (or maybe we could make it a group effort so it's knowlagable in all parts and talking bollocks in none?) :)  

The Amstor Computer

Meh, not a particularly great interview. Hamstrung by the format, and the fact that no-one seemed to be playing into the usual Ross interview setup.

Interesting & enlightening bit from Jamie Hewlett when Jonathan Ross mentioned Dredd, though - almost a rolling of the eyes when he said (paraphrasing) that one run on Dredd was enough.

hag

" the only people who'll talk about comics are pretensious art critics"

it's sadly true. after the buckets of research i did on a recent essay on los bros there was only one writer i found who seemed to have even read l&r as a fan before an art historian. if that makes sense.

i'm still looking forward to downloading johny.

Queen Firey-Bou

yo amstor, we thought the "one dredd is enough" comment was more a bigging up ? meaning even only drawing dredd once was a very cool thing indeed ?

jamie didnt seem awfie keen on comics no more huh ?  who was editor of 2000ad in those days when he was doing his bits ?

The Amstor Computer

Bou --

Hm. I read it completely differently, to be honest. Mind you, I think my mind may be affected by the lurgie (brought on by too much walking to and from work in the pissing rain, methinks...)

IIRC, the editor when Hewlett did most of his work in 2000AD was Richard Burton, though there may have been a crossover with Alan Mckenzie.

Rex Banner

Queen Firey-Bou

bloody hell, woss has a cushdie life doesnt he?  he's on tele again !
all that nattering to famous people would get tedious except when theyre interesting people, but all that comic reading & watching films.. how do you get a job like that?

my hands are stinging like mad from bleach & floor scrubbing, do you think wossy fancies swopping jobs?

Funt Solo

I caught the interview on the repeat late last night.  I'd have missed it completely if it wasn't for observant msg-boarders.  Ta.

The "one Dredd is enough" was definitely a bigging up and not a putting down.  I was looking out for that.

I loved his reasoning for not doing a comics show:  he'd get too personal about it.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.