Main Menu

Megazine Thrills to Graphic Novel

Started by Jonathan O, 19 May, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Complete Oola Blint/Angel of Mercy would be nice, though it would be problematic, as it runs through some of Doomsday.

radiator

'An exception for me is Mechanismo... but I suspect the page count would then be far too high.'

Ah, but what if it was split in two? With 'Dead Ringer' as an epilogue of sorts - as it shows the fate of the Mk.2s, iirc

AlexF

From memory, my favourite recurring strips were Missionary Man (especially the Simon Davis episodes) and Harmony. There were also plenty of one-off Dredds that deserve being collected - maybe grouped by artist?

I'd also echo the calls for Mechanismo, the various Anderson runs, and Koburn + Simping Detective - assuming these ever generate enough stories to fill a TPB.

radiator

Mechanismo 54 pages
Mechanismo Returns 45 pages
Mechanismo - Body Count 65 pages
Conspiracy of Silence 24 pages
Prologue 9 pages
The Tenth Planet 46 pages
Wilderlands 45 pages
Wilderlands 67 pages
The Candidates 18 pages
Farewell to the Chief 9 pages
= 382pg
That'd be one chunky bad boy.

Rio De Fideldo

paulvonscott

I'm not very fond of the Meg output pre-volume IV, but I do think a complete MECHANISMO is a very good idea.  It's been badly served in the past.

And as someone said, a complete CITIZEN SUMP with that last story in (more a 2000AD spilling into Meg territory).  In the same vein, hard to complain about an ANGEL OF MERCY & TAXIDERMIST collection.  My fave, PJ Maybe is already getting the treatment.

And a complete BIG AL would be nice.

Cheers

Paul

Funt Solo

An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

radiator

Complete Slick Dickens would make a good EE. Some of that was in the meg, no?

Grant Goggans

Koburn and Simping Detective are just far too new; let's wait until Tharg has commissioned at least 13 episodes of each!

Until then, in order of preference:

1. Judge Dredd - reprint each episode in order as the Case Files reach 1990.  Don't skip them just because they appeared in a different publication!

2. Complete Al's Baby - all three series

3. Anderson: Psi Division.  I hope these volumes will continue in order, picking up the annual/special stories (Mind of Edward Bottlebum!) and continue on to her Meg adventures.

4. Complete Missionary Man - all 74 episodes can be managed in two big volumes.

5. Judge Dredd: The Mean Machine Collection.  Can contain such 2000 AD appearances as Dredd Angel, Merry Tale of the Christmas Angel and Me and Muh Shrink along with the Meg's Son of Mean and Gordon Rennie's series of fun one-offs from vol. 4.  (Extra bias from my son; Mean Machine is his favorite 2000 AD character!)

6. Complete Armitage.

7. Black Siddha - There chould be 19 episodes by the end of this series, but hold off if another is planned.

8. Complete Harmony - Some very nice Trevor Hairsine work there, and the character wasn't bad at all.  I'll concede I'm in the minority there.

9. Mechanismo / Wilderlands - Definitely!  The 2000 AD covers at the time completely ruined the supposed "twist" of the story, but it's such a good tale, one of the best Dredd epics.

10. Finally, I'll second longmanshort's Judges of the World notion.  That's a good way to get several short series in book form, and a colorful addition to Dredd's mythology.

paulvonscott

There are many Wagner Dredds in the megazine that many people will never have seen, including me.  An alternative version of the case files would be good for these.   I'd buy Meg FIles collections of them all.

Cheers

Paul

Aaron Smurf Murphy

El Spurioso

Obviously I'm completely biased and therefore anyone who pays any attention to my opinion is a gay hippy communist, but I think the Megazine is exactly the right place to be looking for GN material.  The weekly readership has always been larger than the monthly, which means that in the surplus you've got a pre-existing audience group who haven't ever seen the Megazine material, but are definitely on the right wavelength.  To put it another way, there are a LOT of 2000AD fans who'd be willing to buy Megazine stories that they've never seen before, but probably very few Megazine fans who haven't read the material in the 2000AD reprints already.

Er.  Or something.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that the ONLY correct approach is to reprint the Simping Detective and give me (also that scruffy pencil monkey midget Irving, if he absolutely insists) a big fat cheque.  Um.  Please.

A very quick (ie: probably wrong) bit of Mental Maffs tells me there are something like 98 pages of Jack Point and related material out there in the wilderness...  

Hold fire until the next bunch is done and you're looking at another 30 or so...  

Teeeeempting, right Jonathan?  Right?  

IndigoPrime

::  in the surplus you've got a pre-existing audience
:: group who haven't ever seen the Megazine material

For the bulk of the Meg's output (bar the stuff that's already been reprinted), that can only be a good thing, frankly. I'd sooner see complete Nemesis, Strontium Dog and Sl?ine runs sitting on my shelf than a bunch of stuff from the Meg (aside from Koburn, Simping Detective and Lenny Zero, the last of which could easily be bundled into a "Jock" collection).

W. R. Logan

My vote would be for a Complete Taxidermist bookhttp://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/507.jpg">

ukdane

Not much to add here, so I'll just second the above.

I assume I'm the only person interested ?n seeing Harmony collected (as an EE).

A couple of things I would like to point out from the fan-boy perspective...
... we like COMPLETE collections.
... we like "DVD-extra's"
... we like our spines to be the same, and to be numbered.

Cheers

-Daney