Main Menu

Torchwood: Are we looking forward to it or not?

Started by LARF, 17 October, 2006, 02:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARF

OK I've seen the trailers, perused the moody website and scoffed at the All black wearing, darkly brooding homepage.

But is it going to be cool or crap?

When I watch the trailer I do feel a tad sci-fi fatigued by the intensity and Hollywood style / spooks atmosphere and my eyes glaze over with a 'seen it all before' feeling, and I try to show interest and will watch it - but I'm thinking maybe it's a flash product with little substance. I hope not.

My expectations are not very high and I'm hoping to be surprised.

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/" target="_blank">Torchwood

longmanshort

Having seen the trailers, my housemate and I have concluded that it will be either:

1. A sci-fi series with the things that makes Spooks enjoyable
2. A sci-fi series with the things that makes Spooks a hackneyed piece of w*nk

We're hoping it's the former.

We are slightly p*ssed off though about the fact it's only being shown on BBC3, since we neither have nor can receive Freeview. B*stards.
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

I, Cosh

Will watch it if I'm in, but I'm not particularly looking forward to it. The new Dr Who hasn't done much for me and I thought Captain Jack was more of a comedy character so it's strange to see him getting his own series.
We never really die.

LARF

Oh yeah and the other thing was that it's on at the same time as the second half of Prime Suspect, which inho is a mistake by the beeb.

nofuture

Damn yes, double bill this sunday from 9pm 'ave it

davidbishop

It's being repeated the following Wednesday on BBC2, for those of us without digital, cable or satellite.

davidbishop

longmanshort

Ah right, thanks for that David - a mention of that by the BBC wouldn't have gone amiss ...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Lobo Baggins

since we neither have nor can receive Freeview.

Have you tried putting a signal booster on your aerial? That worked for us - although you do get picture distortion every time a motorbike goes past the house or someone turns a light on...

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxview-Highgain-Digital-Signal-Booster/dp/B000FIH80M/sr=8-4/qid=1161097556/ref=sr_1_4/026-3635231-0260458?ie=UTF8&s=electronics" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxview-Highgain-Digital-Signal-Booster/dp/B000FIH80M/sr=8-4/qid=1161097556/ref=sr_1_4/026-3635231-0260458?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Matt Timson

Pffft...

Thursday

Not overly hopeful, personally.  There's an article about it in this week's Radio Times and Russell T Davis is quoted as saying, regarding his inspiration for the show "I'd been watching shows like Buffy and Angel, and I said, 'why don't we make a series like that?'".  

There's also a quick summary of the main characters, listing their role, their special skills and (seriously) who each character fancies.

The Adventurer

I'm am so fucking stoked it's not even funny.

Some of you Brits must be jaded, you don't seem too know how good you've got it TV wise.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

paulvonscott

"I'd been watching shows like Buffy and Angel, and I said, 'why don't we make a series like that?'"

I thought that's what he'd done with Doctor Who, and the shadow of Buffy hanging over it was the main reason I didn't really enjoy Doctor Who.

It's all about family and emotions and a blonde girl...

Not looking forward to it, but I'll give it a go.  My own view is that like Doctor Who the writers will be stifled by the overbearing presence of RTD and his mawkish shite.

I think there are two episodes on Sunday.

paulvonscott

"I'd been watching shows like Buffy and Angel, and I said, 'why don't we make a series like that?'"

I thought that's what he'd done with Doctor Who, and the shadow of Buffy hanging over it was the main reason I didn't really enjoy Doctor Who.

It's all about family and emotions and a blonde girl...

Not looking forward to it, but I'll give it a go.  My own view is that like Doctor Who the writers will be stifled by the overbearing presence of RTD and his mawkish shite.

I think there are two episodes on Sunday.

paulvonscott

Quirkafleeg

Repeated on the following Wed on BBC2 at 9pm...
Episode 1 and 2 together for a feature length opener...

MILD SPOILERS

From Radio Times:
Episodes 1 and 2 of this new science-fiction and crime drama series. A brutal murder leads WPC Gwen Cooper to Torchwood, a journey that will change her life forever. Plus, Torchwood must stop a sex addicted alien as it leaves a trail of gruesome deaths in its wake.

Invasion of the Bummers!