Main Menu

tom cruise is right

Started by eggonlegs, 03 August, 2007, 09:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

...the first ever film we watched on video was "clash of the titans"-not relevant but i thought i'd share that

Holy crap, me too!  My mother's cousin was the only person we knew with a video (Betamax, but of course), and he lent it to us for a birthday party viewing of Clash of the Titans... Unexpected boobage made me cool kid for a day!

JOE SOAP

Escape from New York, Time Bandits were the first videos I'd seen -Betamax too-  watched them on a player borrowed from an uncle. Clash of the Titans, Mad Max 1 & 2, Blade Runner, Repo Man came soon after, then crap like MegaForce etc. There was always a copy of Eraserhead in the video shop that always scared the shit out of me just from looking at it.

Peter Wolf

I remember that film being advertised on the back of 2000ad at the same time.I think there was a feature as well in 2000ad or a page long promotional strip.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Wils

First thing I ever saw on video was Watership Down. After setting the video recorder up (I *hate* the term "VCR"), my parents were stood in the lounge arguing about which way the tape went into the machine and it took them a fair while to realise that I was sat actually watching the film after I'd figured things out for myself. Our vid was a posh front-loader and even had a remote (which was on the end of a cable that plugged into the front panel and was a safety hazard to anyone walking across the room).

TordelBack

...and even had a remote (which was on the end of a cable that plugged into the front panel...

Excellent!  Especially dangerous with the old gas lights, I imagine.

Goingback further, I remember when we got our first coloue telly.  We were renting/leasing our B&W, and when we 'upgraded', two men came round to the house right in the middle of the Tarzan cartoon (un-gawa!), unplugged the old TV and put in a new brown plastic-wood-finish one.  When they plugged in in... bloody hell, it was in colour!  We'd never even suspected that it was anything other than jungle monochrome, and were utterly gobsmacked.  Tell that to young people today, they wouldn't believe you.

Peter Wolf

There was some spoof on channel four last night that featured   a pisstake of Tom Cruise but the standard of humour wasnt very good at all. That was to be expected.I turned it off in the end.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

pisstake of Tom Cruise but the standard of humour wasnt very good at all.

Star Tales - Grud help me, but I thought bits of it were bloody hilarious, especially the bit where he puts on a Scientology puppet show for Penelope Cruz, and any of the scenes featuring Keifer Sutherland proposing sinister pranks on 'bigger' stars.  Tee-hee.

mogzilla

TARZAN CARTOON!!!! retro thrill power overload! wasnt it made by filmation who did he-man? is it available on dvd ? sod thundercats i need un gawa!

Richmond Clements

That was a great cartoon (well, viewed through mt rose tinited nostalgia-vision specs that is)! It had space aliens and everything!

mogzilla

what was his monkey called? i remember being disappointed cheetah wasn't in it.

Richmond Clements

Spooky! I was going to ask the same question- and make the same point about Cheetah!

mogzilla

...y'know what they say matey "great minds think alike!" what about the batman cartoon with bat girl and bat mite?

worldshown

I think the monkey was called Nikima, or something like that. Thought it would be mentioned in the titles that I found on youtube but it wasn't.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i__2vabLGxY" target="_blank">Animated Tarzan opening titles

Richmond Clements

By jove I think he's got it! Cheers!

Batman cartoon, eh..? My menory of that is sitting cross legged in front of the TV, with my toy batmobile, batbike and batboat in front of me while I watched.

mogzilla

Fantastic link! God,i'm easily pleased.