Main Menu

folklore

Started by mogzilla, 31 July, 2008, 10:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

When i was a boy you could always find a book about ghosties and ghoulies and goblins etc.now ,where are they all?

i found a couple of books on british folktales and faerie folk lurking in the occult section of borders (also a little too close to the "adult" section as the female assistant kept looking over as if to say 'your going over there when i'mnot looking aren/t you?') ( no!!! i has-ten to add!!!)

what i did learn is that in penwortham woods there is a road that is frequented by fairy funeral proccesions! and a headless boggart that hassles people in the lanes!

any one have or can reccomend any good ones at all? i would be most grateful.

Peter Wolf

Folklore,Myths and Legends of Britain - Readers Digest.Also Ghosts.

Its the best and most comprehensive book on the subject.550 pages.Not in print anymore but easy to find secondhand .
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

johnnystress

Quote from: "mogzilla"in penwortham woods there is a road that is frequented by fairy funeral proccesions!

this is one of the coolest things i have ever heard

worldshown

I second Mr. Wolf's first suggestion.

As a young 'un I would take any chance to read my father's copy of that book.

Mardroid

I went on a couple of school trips to a place called Horton Kirby in Kent. Great memories, although at the time one or two weren't so great. (Could have done without that episode with the bully and the compost heap but that's another tale. And one girl got bitten by a horse at one point... which sound really funny now. Poor thing came up with a terrible bruise though.)

Anyhow, when we were went to the woods our guide told us about creatures called kirbys, some kind of shapeshifting dwarf creature. They apparently play tricks by following a party of people through the woods and taking the form of one of the members. Hence when the leader stops the procession to do a head count, if an extra person is counted... it's likely a kirby is playing it's tricks.

(Can't help thinking that two identical faces in a small group of people would be easy to spot mind you, but it was still really creepy at the time.)

Peter Wolf

I told the story of the black dog sighting [shuck] to a guy who has a website all about myths and folklore and ghosts and all that sort of thing in sussex.[ Sussex Archeology and folklore]

The website has a section on Black dog sightings in the past and a bit of detail of what they are.It quotes various events that have taken place over the years and most of these accounts are well known but it did quote sightings in Sussex.He was also requesting any info on any more sightings in sussex.so i got in contact and said i had a been involved in a sighting with one of these things.Before i went on i just said that i wanted to know about more about who you are [the website author] and what your interest in it is etc.Fairly normal and reasonable i thought but i didnt get very much out of him "What do you want to know ???" - exactly what i asked but i said that if i told the story would he include it on the website.He said that was no problem so i emailed what happened and even provided pictures and details of the location.Everything.I think he said he wanted to visit the site himself and thanks for the info etc.

But after that i heard nothing back  at all about it and its like he took my story and ran .No thanks or anything plus it wasnt published on his website either and it has been regularly updated.

He asks for info on sightings but doesnt seem interested in the real thing and i tell something to someone that i dont know which is personal and all i get is an abuse of trust and ignored unanswered emails.

What was the point of it all ?

Timewaster and a complete Wanker.

Unless he thinks i was making it up and i am a fantasist or something which i am NOT.

So that was the last time i share the story with anyone.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "worldshown"I second Mr. Wolf's first suggestion.

As a young 'un I would take any chance to read my father's copy of that book.

Bit of a coincidence regarding that book.I am working in a flat that some old geezer lived in for about 20 years [a sitting tenant] who moved out for various reasons who left a load of stuff behind that was unwanted.There were shelves and shelves of books that were mostly of no interest or value .I was cherry picking the books and going through them all and could have taken lots of them before the house clearance people cleared them all.

This was a few days ago.

The only book that i took out of hundreds was the book we are talking about.I already have a copy so i gave it to a friend and said it was the best book on the subject.

[As an aside the house clearence people who cleared them turned out to be dodgy criminal types.In the flat there are 3 marble fire surrounds worth about 50,000 quid each and i caught one of them measuriing it up and attempting to make a start on ripping it out to steal it and sell it. This was in a grade 1 listed building.

"Right - Keys back right now  and then leave RIGHT NOW - MOVE !!"

There was another thread previous to this about folklore and superstition and i posted about a face in a wall of the Rudyard Kipling house and Garden .I went there and followed the instructions and did what the local folklore said to do and made a wish and really since then it has been a bit spooky as things have happened according to the wish that i made to it and i wish i had done it years ago.

It might sound a bit bonkers but it didnt hurt to waste 30 seconds doing a funny little ritual .Theres nothing to lose.

Make a wish [not for money as in dont say Money when you make the wish -thats the rule] while rubbing its nose with the forefinger and then turn round on the spot 3 times.

johnnystress

Inspired by this thread I'm looking for this book-it sounds great

peter if you come across another one let me know
the more bizarre the circumstances the better :)
( it's a bit pricey from what i found

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "johnnystress"Inspired by this thread I'm looking for this book-it sounds great

peter if you come across another one let me know
the more bizarre the circumstances the better :)
( it's a bit pricey from what i found

Tell you what i will ask the friend who i gave it to wether or not they really want it or not as TBH they are not that interested in the subject and i gave it away just to find a home for it.

They are back in a week today so i will ask.

I cant find it on Ebay.Unavailable on Amazon.

But i have found a copy for sale online for 6 Euros. Here is a link for the websitehttp://216.239.59.104/search?q=c ... =firefox-a

worldshown

Mog, is this your boggart?

mogzilla

Thats the lass!
...on a side note been watching "mnster hunter" on virgin.quite entertaining,

johnnystress

Quote from: "peterwolf"But i have found a copy for sale online for 6 Euros. Here is a link for the websitehttp://216.239.59.104/search?q=c ... =firefox-a

Thanks Peter- I already emailed them and the shipping is 12 euros- which i thought was a bit steep. Thanks very much for the offer but I may just buy this one (and stop being such a cheap bastard:))

johnnystress

Quote from: "worldshown"Mog, is this your boggart?

wow

worldshown

Johnny, even if you are not into myths and folk tales, the book is worth getting for the artwork alone.