Main Menu

Started by Minkyboy, 16 July, 2009, 03:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minkyboy

I'm jealous of all the spanky new avatars people are coming up with.

Bit beyond me as I am a bit of a tech-duffer, and having put all my progs in the roof could anyone sort me out with an avatar of that flying helo-monkey from Lobster Random?

I know years ago there was a chap who sorted out avatars for everyone but that was so long ago I have forgotten everything else.

Minky
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Dandontdare

If you want to create a (dead simple) animation like mine, download the free trial version of Easy GIF Animator - there's loads of download sites offering it and it gives you 20 free animations (whilst constantly begging you to buy the full version, but screw 'em - just keep clicking "evaluate" to use the free tries - 20 attempts should be plenty to get several cool avatars!)

Then use any simple drawing programme to create a basic image (such as my head and eyebrows)or scan and download a thumbnail or clipart image. This must be no more than 128x128 pixels or the board will resize it to fit and the animation won't run. Amend the picture for each stage of the animation (e.g. different eyeballs), saving each version as a GIF file.

Easy GIF animator makes it a piece of piss to upload these images as 'frames' which you can then copy, reorder and set the duration of each - my eyeball dude is only 3 frames - front (2 sec), left (half sec), front (1/10 sec), right (half sec).

Then click PROFILE (above) and from the menu FORUM PROFILE INFORMATION. Select "upload my own image" and browse to find the file on your computer. This applies to any standard image too, the advantage being you can upload a large image which automatically gets resized to fit (I think), hence all the cool new photos that are appearing.

Or just choose one from the extensive gallery, but many of these seem titchy now

Dandontdare

oops, just realised you wanted a specific image rather than general avatar help!  :-[ Must read before posting!

bluemeanie

If you can find a pic of the monkey you mean I could have a go at something if you liked.

Had a quick look online and couldnt find any pics to start off from

Emperor

Quote from: Minkyboy on 16 July, 2009, 03:12:33 PM
Bit beyond me as I am a bit of a tech-duffer, and having put all my progs in the roof could anyone sort me out with an avatar of that flying helo-monkey from Lobster Random?

Would you have the issue number? The most time consuming bit would be digging out the right prog.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Minkyboy

Well I am on holiday in Devon so cut off from progs at the mo.

But looking at Barney:
The Agony & the Ecstacy, 9 episodes [50 pgs], 2000 AD progs 1482-1490

This is the story the flying helicopter monkey thing appeared in. No particular image in mind but I think it may have deployed some weaponry at some point which might look quite good.

Cheers Gang!

P.S. Devon = steam trains as far as my kids are concerned.

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Bouwel

Would this be the chappy?

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Minkyboy

Whahay, that's the chap!

Cheers Bouwel, thanks a lot.
And thank you others for your help.

One happy Minky.

Bouwel

Happy to be of assistance.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Tweak72

Yay! While I do not really like the story Lobster Random in any way and was pretty disappointed that teh recent 'Vort' story horridly nose dived in the last frame I think that Carl Critchlow is awesome and have been a fan since White Dwarf ran Thrud. And that is a cooooool avitar.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

ThryllSeekyr

I've been meaning to change mine.

I would like to draw it myself.

I'd love to use the Giff Animator, but I feel guilty not being able to purchase the full version as I should have done for alot of other free I have downloaded as well.

Tweak72

Bless you TS. I think it would be ok as it is a trial version and not like you have stolen anything. :)

Kerrin

Yeah, go for it TS.

There are plenty of things in life to warrant guilt but I don't think taking a company up on a free trial of their product is one of them.

Minkyboy

Quote from: Tweak72 on 18 July, 2009, 02:12:35 PM
Yay! While I do not really like the story Lobster Random in any way and was pretty disappointed that teh recent 'Vort' story horridly nose dived in the last frame I think that Carl Critchlow is awesome and have been a fan since White Dwarf ran Thrud. And that is a cooooool avitar.

Thanks Tweak, loving the Alpha smiley too, although Bluemeanie's new pic nearly made me spit coffee all over my laptop!

Tweak72

Why Thanks Minky.
I have to admit I stole the idea for the two Avatars I have had today from some boarders old teeny tiny Avatas from two forums ago though I cant remember who they where. I am working this week end and needed something to do at lunch time. I am working on a third and forth smilie avatars but may not get them sorted out till tomorrow as I am having to use my works computers which only have MS Paint which is not really up to the task