Main Menu

Passing The Mantle To My Son

Started by hereintheuk, 02 September, 2002, 07:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hereintheuk

I was eight years old when I read my first prog of 2000ad and now at age 31 I have introduced 2000ad to my 10 year old son.
I stopped reading 2000ad in the 90's for the main reason that apart from Dredd it was crap. To me it was just trying to buy into all the "yoof" culture that was around at the time.
However just over a year ago I picked up a copy again and to my surprise it had gone full circle and the stories were once again interesting and made me want more.
Dont get me wrong I do not want to live in the past (but I do enjoy 2000ads current rennaisance) put for me 2000ad is doing what it is best at - good solid stories.  The days of having explicit artwork and swearing just for the sake of it seem to have passed. I am not a prude but if a story is good enough it doesnt need titillation to improve it.  
So at last I feel that 2000ad is acceptable for my son with the exception of Bison.  I enjoy the story and any profanity or nudity does seem to be in context but with the exception of that story I am happy to introduce my son to the joys of thrill power.

Marbles

Saw that new Al Pacino movie 'Insomnia' at the w/e (same director as 'Memento'). Anyway, its pretty damn good I reckon - a cut above the usual American detective thriller dross - even the presence of the dreaded Robin Wiliams manages not to ruin it.
And I saw the Spanish film 'Talk To Her' (dir. Almodovar) which was even better - the plot is fairly bizarre but if you like quirky foreign films as I'm afraid I do then its a real treat.

Also went to a comic mart in London on Sunday. Picked up 'Daemonifuge' #1-3 (Black Library, art by Kev Walker) which is a fantastic comic - great story, amazing art.
Also got an old copy of 'Warlord' from 1975 (I was 9, go figure). Anyway I got it 'cos it had my first remembered fave story about a mystery Spitfire that used to appear from nowhere and save the day during the Battle of Britain, called 'Phantom Flyer'. It also had some nice Ron Smith art on 'Drake of E-Boat Alley'.

Finished reading the Meg. I really enjoyed the extra stories that came with 'Bad Company'. I think if you are gonna reprint stuff like that, that has done the rounds so to speak, you need to 'add value' and make it the best collection so far, if you follow my drift. That's where Titan are going wrong in just repeating old stuff (tho' v. glad to hear they listened over 'Nemesis' Bk 2). The only way ot add value to these old stories (that can often be picked up in old formats far cheaper) is to do full 'collectors' sets. Reprint complete runs, add prelim. sketches, interview creators, add in any odd bits and pieces that are relevant. Make it something that really stands out from earlier prints.

Oh and Pompey are top of Div One ! Happy days....
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Devons Daddy

i have also taken this step. my five year old happily scans the progs with me,
its a very proud moment and i completely understand what you mean, my father has been buying my progs for me since the begining, prog 1.
its a specail thing to share isnt it,
sharing the thrill power, has a certain thing all of its own, wonderful.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Oddboy

Just don't let Tharg hear about it - he'll want you to get an extra copy each week so that you can have one each!
Better set your phaser to stun.

judge dreddd

Ahhh the master and the padawan ( its yoda again ! )...

Pick up the megazine, go 'OH WOW' and find yourself shopping 'for my 2000ad and the one for the kid '.

The megazine is your dream, your search begins now.