Main Menu

Ron Smith trade contents.

Started by vzzbux, 16 September, 2009, 08:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

If a Ron Smith collection trade was put together what would be your choices for content.

A first would have to be The Graveyard Shift and maybe Dredd/Angel to follow.

Come on Tharg get your finger out.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Leigh S

vzzbux

Already have those collections, you can still pick them up on e-bay.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Grant Goggans

Those collections are incomplete, apparently assembled at random, and in a wonky, bookshelf-unfriendly format.  Something new is required.

I'd certainly be in favor of a Ron Smith collection, with 240-odd pages of his Dredd episodes and covers, even if it's material already in the Case Files, as it would be on better paper.  Unfortunately, if you just started with "The Exo-Men" and work forward, you still wouldn't make it to "The Graveyard Shift" or "Dredd Angel," so it'd have to be a "best-of."  But I'd certainly want to include:

Sob Story
The Black Plague
Otto Sump's Ugly Clinic
Pirates of the Black Atlantic
Unamerican Graffiti
The League of Fatties
Gunge
Blobs / Jimps / Prezzel Logic
The Graveyard Shift
Juve's Eyes
Smart Sweets

Leigh S

you can collect a good number of the Saturday Daily Star Dredds... but not all - theres roughly 30-40 of the 280ish that havent seen reprint.  the best collection seen so far is the "Mega collection" which has less than 200 of them - not bad.. but far from complete.

and thats before we get onto the multipart stories which have not been collected at all in any sensible fashion - some stories have seen reprint, but most havent.  OK , a good number of those that ahvent are Millar and McKenzie ones, but theres still a good chunk of Wagner/Grant tales that have never  surfaced since the 80s.

johnnystress

Ron Smith is one of those artists that spanned a wide variety of UK comics. I'd love to see a proper retrospective compilation, all the Hotspur, 60s stuff, girls comics etc and 2000ad stuff in one (probably massive) volume

But yeah! A definitive Ron Smith 2000ad collection- yes please

So many great moments,Faro the Garbage God and the Brotherhood of trash, Chopper, Pug Ugly, Captain Skank, assorted nutjob megacity citizens

I loved the recent Megazine article

So sad to hear his eyesight is gone

Colin YNWA

Any definative Ron Smith collection would ahve to include Portrait of a Politican for me.

TordelBack

Isn't there a bit of a problem with any imaginary Ron Smith 2000AD collection, in that the vast bulk of his stuff is B&W Dredd, and that's now all back in print.  He's almost too tied up in the fabric of Dredd to pull his contribution out.   Also, much of the remainder is on stories that most of us would rather not have to read again.  Seems like the 'best' Smith collections would be non-2000AD stuff, a definitive Daily Star run, or a compilation of his outside work.

Colin YNWA

A definitive Daily Star collection would be very welcome. I wonder where the rights to that material sits?

Large48

Or you could just ask to copy the original artwork..........  ;)
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Mattofthespurs

Or you could have just bought the damned shitty paper every single day that Dredd was in it, cut it out and pasted it into an album...

I still bear the scars.

Mike Gloady

That's impressive, Matt.  Roy Castle couldn't show that much dedication.  If it had been in something faintly READABLE then fair enough, it's duty. 

But THE STAR?  Utter rag.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

strontium71

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 17 September, 2009, 07:41:56 PM
Or you could have just bought the damned shitty paper every single day that Dredd was in it, cut it out and pasted it into an album...

I still bear the scars.
ohhhhh god , i did the same thing  :-[

every single one cut out and collected , dailies and the saturday one - but my scrapbook was left by a wall too long and suffered irreparable damp and they ( wipes away tear ) had to be destroyed. :o
...because I hate you.

House of Usher

Shanty Town was a good 'un too.

(BTW - curse the title of this thread! I thought it was a review of something new on the shelves!)

:D
STRIKE !!!

OpusAndBill

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 September, 2009, 09:09:33 AM
Isn't there a bit of a problem with any imaginary Ron Smith 2000AD collection, in that the vast bulk of his stuff is B&W Dredd, and that's now all back in print.  He's almost too tied up in the fabric of Dredd to pull his contribution out.   Also, much of the remainder is on stories that most of us would rather not have to read again.  Seems like the 'best' Smith collections would be non-2000AD stuff, a definitive Daily Star run, or a compilation of his outside work.

Talking of outside work, can anyone tell me if the following mid-'70s page from the Hornet is Ron Smith? If not Ron, then any ideas who it might be?

(Apologies if this is slightly off-topic):

Boasting the efficacy of Oliver Wendell Jones' Hair Tonic.