Main Menu

I am the law?

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 07 October, 2009, 01:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

So, how does he say it? Where is the emphasis?

I am the law! ?

I am the law! ?

I am the law! ?

I am the law! ?
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

Good question! I'd go with the emphasis on I as he says (how often does he actually say it?) it to make sure he gets no back chat or what not. Therefore the stress is the fact that he as an individual is in the position of power.

Paul faplad Finch

You're playing with fire here you know.

I'm going to go with "I am the Law" because thats how Stallone said it and we all know his was the definitive Dredd.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

bluemeanie

Here y'go, argument over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itmNiTwHOsM

(annnnnnd waits for it all to kick off)   :)

James Stacey

I'd say it goes on 'Law'. Dredd is never about himself so it can't be on the 'I' or 'am'

Jim_Campbell

Emphasis on the 'am', without question in my mind.

Emphasising the 'I' introduces ego into the phrase and skirts dangerously close to indicating that Dredd considers his word to be law, something that sat very uneasily with me in the Stallone version -- "I can't break the law, I am the law" he mumbles at one point.

Emphasising 'law' doesn't sound natural if you say it aloud. Emphasising 'am', to me, makes the point that summarizes the character: there is the Law and there is Dredd and the latter is the personification of former.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steven Sterlacchini

I'd go for no emphasis on anything.

He just says it quickly.

Professor Bear

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 October, 2009, 02:10:07 PM
Emphasis on the 'am', without question in my mind.

Emphasising the 'I' introduces ego into the phrase and skirts dangerously close to indicating that Dredd considers his word to be law, something that sat very uneasily with me in the Stallone version -- "I can't break the law, I am the law" he mumbles at one point.

In the Stallone version his introductory line emphasises "I am" the Law, which just sounds ridiculous and grammatically bad. Have to disagree about the "am" though Jim, it's sounds weaker and less definite. The "I" is more declaritive and authoritarian.

As to the question of ego, in I, am the Law,  I don't really think that counts since Dredd is basically announcing that he is the law and a representational part of the collective body of law in mega city, no longer an individual in the sense of being anything other than a judge so when he declaresI, am the law he's speaking for all of "judgekind" since they are collectivie and representational of a larger absolutist ideal as opposed to an "individualism". He is no longer a man/woman, he is/she is a judge. Dredd has never expressed individualism other than subconciously and only really in latter years when actually thinking outside the box.

So I, am the Law is far more sinister and fearful since in a judges mind it represents "the Law" and in a citizens mind one judge is the state/ruling body.

Mikey

I'm with Jim on this one - there has never been any doubt in my mind.

However,does it not really depend on context? Does anyone really use the same phrase with exactly the same emphasis every time they use it?

"Who is the law?" 'I am the law'
"Are you the law?" 'I am the law'
"Why should I?" 'I am the law'

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Dark Jimbo

Jim is right -

I am the law!

Sounds a bit odd emphasised that way when said on its own, but it was never really meant to be - It's really a two-part response. As in -

'You creeps think you can break the law? I am the Law!'
@jamesfeistdraws

SamuelAWilkinson

It surely depends on the context, doesn't it? Here are some sample lines a perp might use to provoke the catch phrase. Just for fun, why not try matching them up to the available ways of saying it?

Who are you?

There is no law!

You're not the law!

Which law are you?
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Proudhuff

There is no justice, just us!
DDT did a job on me

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

vzzbux

I am going to have to get my old Anthrax CD's out now.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.