Main Menu

Are we writing off JD too soon?

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 October, 2009, 12:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well it would seem that all this talk of Judge Dredd getting old and winding down might be premature. If he's 70 (as my vague calculations make him) according to an article on the BBC he could still have another 30 years to go.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8314442.stm

SuperSurfer

Am I right in recalling that this is when Dredd first started showing signs of getting old / having doubts with the legal system?

Wow that's almost 25 years since that prog to the day.

Peter Wolf

The title of the BBC article is misleading because nowhere within that article does it say anything about stopping the body clock or the ageing process.

Still sloppy journalism is the in thing these days it seems.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

COMMANDO FORCES

I reckon that if Joe had Marmite crisps included in his rations he'd live a few more years!
Why! because Marmite protects!

James Stacey

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 20 October, 2009, 05:09:08 PM
I reckon that if Joe had Marmite crisps included in his rations he'd live a few more years!
Why! because Marmite protects!

Do you know for a fact he doesn't ? I don't think his potato based snack preference has ever been adequately explored has it ?

vzzbux

I think Dredd would go for Hedgehog flavoured crisps.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Alski

Drokk 'n' Vinegar?

Law Cocktail?

and the best...

Dreddy Salted!  ;D

Not what the thread was about, but fun. We all know Dredd will go on for donkey's yet, and good luck to him.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm still up for Dredd to go into space and have what happened to Sam Slade happen to him. Hey presto a young Joe Dredd, ready to hit the streets refreshed and as good as new ;)

amberkraken

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 21 October, 2009, 05:01:23 PM
I'm still up for Dredd to go into space and have what happened to Sam Slade happen to him. Hey presto a young Joe Dredd, ready to hit the streets refreshed and as good as new ;)

To be honest, that would royally tick me off. Part of the reason I love Dredd and other characters is that long-term investment you have in them - you've been there for every little scar and bruise, seen them grow and change as a character, seen them evolve from the man they were to the man they are today.

The push of such a reset button - 'My Dok! It's as though the last thirty years never happened! Guess I'm ready to hit the streets judging - good as new!' - would make all that seem redundant and just make me wonder why I should care.
@jamesfeistdraws

COMMANDO FORCES

I was only joking with that one Dark Jimbo, I hope he just dies a mundane death to prove that he was just another cog in the wheels of Justice.

Wouldn't it be good if we saw him die by crashing into a chem pit and he just dissolves away and Justice Department never know what happened to him, but we would!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 31 October, 2009, 10:59:44 AM
Wouldn't it be good if we saw him die by crashing into a chem pit and he just dissolves away and Justice Department never know what happened to him, but we would!

There was a story when they thought just that had happened, 'Missing' issues 1078-1083 (I only remember that as I've just read it - thanks to Barney for specifics). Doesn't invalidate the principal of what you say at all mind.

Christov

It would be a bold move to kill Dredd off and actually have him stay dead, considering that nobody important in comics dies for more than a few months to a year at best. The fact that Dredd has aged at all is an astounding fact when most other comic characters remain on a sliding timescale, and that things always revert to the status quo should there be any major changes to the character or their situation.

Dredd could go on for a few more years though, the end is not nigh just yet.

Robin Low

I think it would be far, far braver for Judge Dredd to end without Dredd actually dying. I'd prefer a story in which see we Dredd doing what Dredd needs to do in MC1 (and there are at least some indications of what that is likely to be), but which ends with him simply getting back on his Lawmaster and thundering out onto the streets.

Killing Dredd off is, in a way, the easy option. Ending the Judge Dredd strip and leaving him alive would take some real guts.

Regards

Robin

Hoagy

I think this cloning business really watered down Spiderman. I no longer endear myself to spidey as I did originally. I'd dislike it happening with Dredd. I say, fuck it, keep him comic, constantly within mortal fear but never actually kicking the bucket.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract