Main Menu

Are we writing off JD too soon?

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 October, 2009, 12:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Low

Quote from: Krombasher on 31 October, 2009, 04:12:45 PM
I think this cloning business really watered down Spiderman. I no longer endear myself to spidey as I did originally. I'd dislike it happening with Dredd. I say, fuck it, keep him comic, constantly within mortal fear but never actually kicking the bucket.

The problem here is that he's already been cloned several times and he has kicked the bucket once before anyway. Not that I'd encourage any more of it, of course.

Regards

Robin

Jared Katooie

Since he's getting older, he has to die eventually.

I just hope his death is as sudden and unexpected as the deaths of other great Dreddworld characters, such as: Giant, Pepper, Dekker, Castillo and Volt. Well, maybe not like Dekker's death... curse you Garth Ennis!

Robin Low

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 31 October, 2009, 07:00:59 PM
Since he's getting older, he has to die eventually.

Nah. He died once, and was brought back to life by magic. I reckon he's actually immortal. Frankly, it would explain a lot.

Regards

Robin

Mike Gloady

I thought Dekker's death was pretty good actually.  Especially since, to the best of my knowledge, she'd hardly been seen since her introduction except in stories Ennis had written.  And I presume he'd brought her back, in part at least, to make her death more dramatic (and you need unexpected and affecting deaths to add colour to the otherwise nameless tide of folks being chewed by zombies.

Ennis wasn't the greatest Dredd writer, but I'm sure he's among the first to admit that.  And when he WAS good, he was a fine stand-in for Wagner while he took a semi-break.  And the quality of Wagner Dredd's after his return full-time was pretty high, so maybe Ennis' tenure wasn't all bad.

Pepper and Giant snr were GREAT, a very Dreddworld death for both of them.  But the best death is still McGruder.  Brings a tear to my eye to even think about it.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

HOO-HAA

It would have to end with Dredd taking his helmet off. That would spell his demise a lot more than dying...

planetmirth

Just thinking about Johnny Alpha  - he died and stayed dead, but I'm still enjoying reading his 'new' old case files  ;)
'A computer once beat me in chess... but it was no match for me in kick-boxing!'
Visual Effects Examples

HOO-HAA

Hell, I'm old enough to remember Bobby Ewing's shower scene...  :-*

No one dies in Genre World... Look at Joss Whedon's lot. Buffy died twice. Angel died once in the series, and again in the new comics. Spike died once on TV, then again in the comics.

All alive and well now, though. Where there's a will, there's a way. ;D

Christov

Death is treated far so frivolously in comics. It should be given more weight so when a character dies it actually makes an impact.

Also, they should stay bloody dead!

Delingpole

I like the idea of a completely out-of-character death for JD. Perhaps going the same way as Pope Paul II.

TheEdge

Does use of the sleep machine not add years to your life, i seem to remember something lie that.

Is there possibly a ReJUVE machine or is RICO gonna take the old mans badge ( batman style)
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

HOO-HAA

Has Anderson been getting older, then, as well?

I must say - this policy of allowing comic characters to age, as we fans age, is .... novel!  ;D

But, I'm not sure I like it!  >:(

Shouldn't our comicbook (anti) heroes/ heroines be allowed to be young (ish) forever?

Personally, I don't want to see Dredd die. And I sure as hell don't want to see him handing down the badge (and helmet) to some 'junior' in waiting.

JUDGE RICO is a shite name for a comic-strip, anyway... :o 

Mike Gloady

Seeing as he only took on the name "Rico" as opposed to "Dredd" to avoid confusion with the old man, once Joe's gone there's nothing to stop him reverting and wearing his own Dredd badge.  I'm rather hoping Joe's badge, when it's finally unpinned, will have bullet holes in it. 

And yeah, they have been WRITING Anderson as if she's ageing, but the artists, perhaps understandably, haven'tbeen drawng her that way.  She's a JILF.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

TordelBack

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 04 November, 2009, 10:05:39 PM
No one dies in Genre World... Look at Joss Whedon's lot. Buffy died twice. Angel died once in the series, and again in the new comics. Spike died once on TV, then again in the comics.

Ah, Whedon's not the worst.  Ms. Calendar, Joyce, Tara and Anya all stayed dead, the latter completely needlessly.  Buffy's 'deaths' were both key plot points, and her second resurrection was suitably horrific, so she gets a pass in my book. 

Spike's resurrection OTOH was a disgrace. 

Jim_Campbell

Hmm ... well, Dredd is physically 70 this year by my calculations (52 years since 2079, when he graduated at the physical age of 18, having had the first five years of his life accelerated}. There are plenty of active 70-year olds now so 122 years into the future, I would have thought this would be roughly to someone in their 50s now.

Add into that the unspecified effects of the rejuve treatments he had post-Necropolis, I think you can safely argue that Dredd has a good few years of active service left in him yet ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

QuoteAdd into that the unspecified effects of the rejuve treatments he had post-Necropolis, I think you can safely argue that Dredd has a good few years of active service left in him yet ...

And that's not even considering  the fact that he's a hard bastard.