Main Menu

Judge Death: After Necropolis

Started by Robin Low, 24 October, 2009, 10:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 24 October, 2009, 10:14:48 PM
QuoteWhen has Batman or Gotham been referred to in the strip itself? I'm not saying they haven't been, but I don't remember.

In My name is Death, the crystals cntaining the spirits of the Dark Judges have been transferred to a new underground prison. Dredd remarks that he was taking them there when they were hijacked by "that Gotham clown".

And Anderson returned from her wandering in space after having a vision of an eagle and a bat.

TordelBack

QuoteAnd Anderson returned from her wandering in space after having a vision of an eagle and a bat.

As if that whole sequence of stories wasn't bad enough.

Robin Low

QuoteWhen has Batman or Gotham been referred to in the strip itself? I'm not saying they haven't been, but I don't remember.

In My name is Death, the crystals cntaining the spirits of the Dark Judges have been transferred to a new underground prison. Dredd remarks that he was taking them there when they were hijacked by "that Gotham clown".

Blimey, I don't remember that at all. I can't even remember the context. Why was Batman hijacking the transfer of the Dark Judges? Was that in Die Laughing? (My copies of DL are in the attic, and My Name in Death is somewhere in a stack.)

Regards

Robin

SamuelAWilkinson

Quote from: radiator on 24 October, 2009, 02:36:30 PM
I wonder if Rebellion will get around to putting out a new edition of The Batman/Judge Dredd Files with Vendetta in Gotham included (it's not in the DC version). I'd definitely buy that.

Why? It's rubbish.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Robin Low

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 October, 2009, 10:49:23 PM
QuoteAnd Anderson returned from her wandering in space after having a vision of an eagle and a bat.

As if that whole sequence of stories wasn't bad enough.

Absolutely.

Anyway, the two examples given of the Dredd/Batman crossovers being officially mentioned are vague enough to write something completely different and create new meanings for those references. The Bat symbol refers to a supernatural entity, perhaps a familiar of the Sisters of Death that was left behind after Necropolis. "That Gotham clown" easily becomes a character called Gotham.

Regards

Robin

locustsofdeath!

Or simply disregard the crossovers as glorified fan fiction?

I'd like to see another proper Judge Death story. He was a big part of my becoming a fan of Dredd.

Robin Low

Quote from: SamuelAWilkinson on 25 October, 2009, 09:08:36 AM
Quote from: radiator on 24 October, 2009, 02:36:30 PM
I wonder if Rebellion will get around to putting out a new edition of The Batman/Judge Dredd Files with Vendetta in Gotham included (it's not in the DC version). I'd definitely buy that.

Why? It's rubbish.

Why is it rubbish? Personally, I think it's the best of the DC crossovers by far. Dredd is convincingly Dredd, Batman is convincingly Batman, the Ventriloquist is a villain that would work as well in MC1 as he does in Gotham, and it's got a great fight, along with Cam Kennedy on art and Mike Mignola on the cover.

Are you thinking of the Riddler one? Now that was pretty poor.

Regards

Robin

Robin Low

Quote from: locustsofdeath on 25 October, 2009, 09:21:04 AM
Or simply disregard the crossovers as glorified fan fiction?

I'd like to see another proper Judge Death story.

This goes back to the point of my original post. If we do disregard the Batman crossovers, then we don't know how Death was captured after Necropolis. This would allow us room for a new, proper Death story that wouldn't need to follow on from Wilderness Days.

Regards

Robin

James Stacey

Cheeky, I hadn't ever noticed Death being bulldozed in. :) There is a judge there too, you'd have thought a decent burial would have been given to them at least. I guess the bodycount was too high.

Trout

I didn't notice it either, until someone here pointed it out. The board is handy.

- Trout

I, Cosh

This is the first time I've ever seen Robin Low trying to argue against a tenuous crossover reference.
We never really die.

Paul faplad Finch

I have never read any of the Batman stuff in question but can I join in anyway?

I have a question. Whenever questions of continuity or what is or isn't canon are asked, I've noticed that the majority view seems to be that "if it's Wagner it's canon and if it's not Wagner it's canon when he says it is". Now, by this definition, since John Wagner had a hand in the writing of them and has made reference to them subsequently in the main strip, doesn't that make them canon? They are Wagner after all.

Personally, I've liked the way John Wagner has made a virtue of the potential albatross of crossovers by making them integral. I seem to remember with Incubus he hed the Aliens brought into the city by a previously established villain. And wasn't Herriman(Harriman?) introduced into the strip in order to be killed in a crossover? It seems to me he's making the effort, where other writers would be content to let crossovers be disposble, to give them a little more substance.

Anyway, like I said, I've not read the Batman stuff so just consider me an unbiased outsider.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Mike Gloady

I'm in wholehearted agreement with you faplad.  On all points. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Dandontdare

In my view, if it's (officially) published, then it happened. You can't just go pretending certain events (eg Inferno) didn't happen just because they involve crossovers or weren't written by Wagner. The idea of going back and writing a different story to replace a bit that won't get re-collected is absurd!

So what if there are bits that some fans think are crap or out of character? So what if all the writers don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of what's gone before and make errors and contradictions? I really don't understand why this winds people up so much. It's not a documentary, it's a comic!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Robin Low on 25 October, 2009, 09:04:56 AM
In My name is Death, the crystals containing the spirits of the Dark Judges have been transferred to a new underground prison. Dredd remarks that he was taking them there when they were hijacked by "that Gotham clown".

Blimey, I don't remember that at all. I can't even remember the context. Why was Batman hijacking the transfer of the Dark Judges? Was that in Die Laughing?

Um... given the use of 'clown', do you not think he was more likely referring to a certain Joker...?

Quote from: faplad on 25 October, 2009, 02:46:48 PM
Personally, I've liked the way John Wagner has made a virtue of the potential albatross of crossovers by making them integral. I seem to remember with Incubus he hed the Aliens brought into the city by a previously established villain.

Yes indeedy - Mister Bones was first introduced in the sequel to Cry of the Werewolf.
@jamesfeistdraws