Main Menu

Judge Death: After Necropolis

Started by Robin Low, 24 October, 2009, 10:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

Quite.

And Jack Point makes a reference to Mr Bones' pets in The Simping Detective too.  Thereby tieing it all neatly in.

DDD: I couldn't agree more.  Fans argueing about what's "cannon" always strikes me as a bit odd.  As far as I'm concerned, it's only NOT cannon if the writers or creator have expressly stated that it isn't.  Happily Dredd and Twoth, while avoiding the whole "multiple resurrection" thing that plagues American comics are also good at keeping away from the multiple "reimagining, rebooting, retconning" thing that's so popular these days. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 25 October, 2009, 03:25:52 PM
Happily Dredd and Twoth, while avoiding the whole "multiple resurrection" thing that plagues American comics are also good at keeping away from the multiple "reimagining, rebooting, retconning" thing that's so popular these days. 

*coughRogueTroopercough*
@jamesfeistdraws

Mike Gloady

I didn't say they NEVER did it, but that they're good at keeping away from it.

You've cited the major exception.  There are others.  But they've been incredibly bad for the most part so I think we're fairly certain they'll be keeping away from that sort of thing for a while.

Savage doesn't count by the way.  He'd just been on a particularly long rest period.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Paul faplad Finch

Well, at the risk of muddying what I said before, while I understand that 'Wagner Dredd is real Dredd" is the majority opinion, hence my bringing it up in this instance, I personally think that everything in the strip should be considered canon.

I don't mind if writers choose to ignore stuff that perhaps isn't popular or didn't work particularly well, but I'd prefer they not actively contradict or rewrite it. Just let it lie and move on. Thats just me though, and I know others feel differently, hence my earlier post.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Richard

Don't "retcon" anything for goodness' sake, this isn't DC. If you don't like a particular story, fine, don't read it again, but that's no reason to write some sort of replacement story about what you wish had really happened. For one thing, some of us liked the Dredd/Batman stories. For another, not mucking around with established history is one of the strengths of the "Judge Dredd" strip - I'd probably stop reading it if they started doing all that American "Crisis" rubbish where they decide that a whole bunch of stories never happened.

As for their exclusion from the Case Files series, can't people just assume that Judge Death was recaptured by some other judge when Dredd wasn't there? (After all, in a massive city with 400 million people and enough judges to police them, I've always found it a bit unlikely that every single time the Dark Judges are on the rampage, it just so happens that Dredd and Anderson are always around to stop them, as if the rest of the Department are on their lunch break or something.)

locustsofdeath!

Well, we can't always say "if it's written, it's canon"...the DC Dredd was an entirely different continuity, placing Dredd at the dawn of Judge System. Wagner also wrote a tale for this DC Dredd, so...

But that said, I don't ever argue canon with fans. If they disagree, no one wins. I enjoy what I enjoy and pitch what I don't. I thought Judgement on Gotham was a good time, so that's that I guess.

Robin Low

Quote from: The Cosh on 25 October, 2009, 02:18:27 PM
This is the first time I've ever seen Robin Low trying to argue against a tenuous crossover reference.

Heh, that's probably true, but I do normally focus on 2000AD connections. Those are generally more interesting to me.

Regards

Robin

Robin Low

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 25 October, 2009, 03:20:37 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 25 October, 2009, 09:04:56 AMBlimey, I don't remember that at all. I can't even remember the context. Why was Batman hijacking the transfer of the Dark Judges? Was that in Die Laughing?

Um... given the use of 'clown', do you not think he was more likely referring to a certain Joker...?

Ah, yes, I remember now. That makes more sense. Mind you, given Dredd's attitude to vigilantes, I could easily imagine him referring to Batman as a clown, too.

Regards

Robin

Mardroid

Quote from: locustsofdeath on 25 October, 2009, 04:38:12 PM
Well, we can't always say "if it's written, it's canon"...the DC Dredd was an entirely different continuity, placing Dredd at the dawn of Judge System. Wagner also wrote a tale for this DC Dredd, so...

The fact it's a different continuity makes allowance for that though. It's a parallel universe. Hence they can both be canon, if you want to use that word. Anything that happens to that Dredd certainly has no relevance to the version in our 2000 AD Dredd-verse though.