Main Menu

Where Are They Now: Cam Kennedy

Started by Jim_Campbell, 30 November, 2009, 06:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Thanks Dandontdare a sore temptation but alas not yet. On one of the sites they had a star wars Boba Fett piece as well by Cam Kennedy!  
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

ming

My two V.C.s pages just arrived from Cam.  Fantastic stuff.  :D

I'll get some pics up asap!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 02 April, 2010, 07:14:54 PM
Thanks Dandontdare a sore temptation but alas not yet. On one of the sites they had a star wars Boba Fett piece as well by Cam Kennedy!  

There was a Boba Fett print signed by Cam and Jeremy Bulloch in the HiEx auction- it went for £80 or something.

ming

My new VCs pages:

Prog 150

Prog 158

How happy am I?  Very! :D

Jim_Campbell

I hate you. I just thought you'd like to know that.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 May, 2010, 07:53:46 PM
I hate you. I just thought you'd like to know that.

Cheers!

Jim

They're bloody lovely.
We've got this:

COMMANDO FORCES

You were lucky it wasn't a Dredd piece Richmond  ;)

Rio De Fideldo

Quick art question.

On that last page of Rogue Trooper art there are some areas which are inked black but then have what appear to be white scratches on them- how did Cam do that?

ming

Quote from: Richard T Field on 09 June, 2010, 01:32:09 PM
Quick art question.

On that last page of Rogue Trooper art there are some areas which are inked black but then have what appear to be white scratches on them- how did Cam do that?

White-out applied with a fine brush, it seems to be (look at some other pages by other artists in the 'original art' thread and you'll see the same thing).  Looking at original pages versus the printed versions, it's great to see the little details like this and the technical aspects that aren't apparent after reproduction.

Rio De Fideldo

Thanks for that Ming. Wasn't sure if that was the process or not. I'm amazed the ink doesn't bleed through somehow.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard T Field on 09 June, 2010, 01:43:25 PM
Thanks for that Ming. Wasn't sure if that was the process or not. I'm amazed the ink doesn't bleed through somehow.

Generally speaking it is, but not always! I remember reading an interview many years ago (in print, no less!) with (I think) John Higgins, where he talked about using a particular kind of art board that was rigid with a finish that was almost like matte ceramic. He explained that the reason he used it was because he could do his corrections and all his white effects with a scalpel, since the board was durable enough to use a sharp blade on without destroying the surface.

Unfortunately, I can't remember what the brand of the artboard was ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ming

Ooh - now you mention it...  The Ezquerra Strontium Dog page I posted in the 'original art' thread has scratched out areas (probably visible in the pic I posted).  If you really want, I can check the brand of the board when I get home.

The Cam Rogue page I have and the Ezquerra page are on heavy art board, but the V.C.s work is on a much lighter stock (again, I can look for details later).

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 June, 2010, 01:48:58 PM

Generally speaking it is, but not always! I remember reading an interview many years ago (in print, no less!) with (I think) John Higgins, where he talked about using a particular kind of art board that was rigid with a finish that was almost like matte ceramic. He explained that the reason he used it was because he could do his corrections and all his white effects with a scalpel, since the board was durable enough to use a sharp blade on without destroying the surface.

Unfortunately, I can't remember what the brand of the artboard was ...

Cheers!

Jim

That sounds very much like what i use to draw and ink on and its called Ivory Board.Its cardboard with a very thin layer of Kaolin clay which has a smooth and semi matt finish.I

Its really very very good because its very cheap,double sided and non absorbant so no ink bleed and like you say if you make a mistake you can carefully scrape the ink of the surface of the board and go over it again.However you can only really do this a couple of times in the same area before the surface of the board starts to degrade.Also always use a fresh scalpel blade.

Quote from: ming on 09 June, 2010, 01:39:56 PM
Quote from: Richard T Field on 09 June, 2010, 01:32:09 PM
Quick art question.

White-out applied with a fine brush, it seems to be (look at some other pages by other artists in the 'original art' thread and you'll see the same thing).  Looking at original pages versus the printed versions, it's great to see the little details like this and the technical aspects that aren't apparent after reproduction.

I was curious about the same thing but like you say you cannot appreciate all these little technical aspects without seeing the original art close up.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Rio De Fideldo

Quote from: ming on 09 June, 2010, 01:55:05 PM
Ooh - now you mention it...  The Ezquerra Strontium Dog page I posted in the 'original art' thread has scratched out areas (probably visible in the pic I posted).  If you really want, I can check the brand of the board when I get home.

The Cam Rogue page I have and the Ezquerra page are on heavy art board, but the V.C.s work is on a much lighter stock (again, I can look for details later).

All info gratefully received. Thanks Ming