Main Menu

Where Are They Now: Cam Kennedy

Started by Jim_Campbell, 30 November, 2009, 06:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

I've been very, very lucky to pick up a few more pages from Cam...  He even did not one but two Dredd sketches for me as a gift - a proper gent, and I've really enjoyed exchanging e-mails with him over the course of this year.

Anyway, the pages...

The Warlord, Prog 452

Magnificent Obsession, Prog 440

The Big Sleep, Prog 466

Jim_Campbell

Those are magnificent. I am positively green with envy. :-(

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Judge Olde

He now works in my local chippy*

*he doesn't. He just loiters.

Colin YNWA

Arh man those are superb. I've always absolutely loved 'The Big Sleep' one of my favourite Dredd's. Those are blooming lovely.

ming

Thanks, folks - just wanted to share the latest Cam goodness.  As these represent some of the most memorable of Dredd stories for me, I'm really happy to have got these from Cam.  The fact that they'd been left in the US and forgotten about for 20 years is the only reason no-one had bought them and hidden them away years ago.  Anyway, here's one of the Dredd sketches Cam included in the package as a surprise...

Spaceghost

Those are great. I was reading the Two Ton Tony Tubbs story last night coincidentally.

Cam is one of the best.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dunk!

Lovely pages.

Great art yet strangely it's the banter between Tony and the robots that makes one of those pages sing for me.
"Trust we"

ming

Quote from: Dunk! on 03 August, 2010, 02:45:11 PMGreat art yet strangely it's the banter between Tony and the robots that makes one of those pages sing for me.

Me too.  The dialogue makes me laugh, always has.  Cam does a fantastic job bringing the script to life, though.  The details (such as the suitcase Tony's holding) are lovely, and the angles used and views of the city add so much to this.  Interestingly, the back of the page has some (mostly erased) pencils for a very different layout of the first panels.

Jim_Campbell

One thing that struck me looking at some of the VC pages earlier in this thread:

Although this is by no means unique to Cam -- I think it's certainly true of most of the British and European artists that have graced the Galaxy's greatest -- a page that's thirty years old still looks like the future. By contrast, I find that US comics' attempts at SF, by and large, date quite rapidly and quite badly.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Judge Olde

:D these older threads are a real delight to unearth & read. Really enjoying 2k now that 2kreview is no more. So what was Cams last Dredd?

NeilFord

Lovely thread, Cam is a major talent - his Rogue trooper work sparked my interest in comicstrip when I was a wee boy 7 his Dredd work on Midnight Surfer, was out of this world.

Thought you might be interested in some of my 'Cam goodies' too?

A sweet print of Boba Fett in action with Barcuda in the background, signed by Jeremy Bulloch [Boba Fett actor] and Cam of course. It glows in the dark too! :)

...and a Rogue Trooper page:

Jared Katooie

Steven Sterlacchini

I've just bought Star Wars - Dark Empire Trilogy in hard back.

300 pages of full colour Kennedy goodness in one hit!

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

CrazyFoxMachine

Cam is one of my favourite artists in 2000ad history -

I even loved him before I started reading it - there was this Batman annual with a Cam story about... Man-Bat I think. I used to copy panels from it when I was like, nine. So that's early influence right there. Bloody love the guy.