Main Menu

Dredd: Complete Case Files 14

Started by Keef Monkey, 04 July, 2010, 09:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Was pretty excited about this one as with this collection the Case Files have now caught up to the first Dredd episode I can remember buying. I'd read bits and pieces at a friends house but when I finally started getting the prog it was 3 episodes from the end of Necropolis, but have never read the whole story until now.

I'm obviously missing something because I've never read The Dead Man, glancing at the first few pages of this I thought it had been included but seemingly not. Still, didn't really lead to any confusion other than why Dredd's all haggard.

Loved the story, the countdown stories are a nice touch and the ominous atmosphere they generate, and the artwork is just stunning. Ezquerra is my favorite Dredd artist and looking at Necropolis it's possibly my favorite work he's ever done on it. The use of colors is fantastic, it's all got a bit of a surreal edge to it (I found it reminded me of Suspiria in a lot of places) and then there'll be the odd panel with no color at all that stands out and looks stunning as a result. Until now I'd always had either Bolland or Irving down as my favorite Death artists but I dunno, this is pretty awesome.

Stuzzle

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 July, 2010, 09:54:15 AM
I found it reminded me of Suspiria in a lot of places

Huh? Suspiria as in the worst cult-following horror film ever made? Or.... something else?
I don't draw so good and I don't know the artists off by heart. I eat more than I probably should and don't yet know the stories from the start. I like films and can't speak Spanish, but DAMMIT I can Twitter

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Stuzzle on 07 July, 2010, 04:35:55 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 July, 2010, 09:54:15 AM
I found it reminded me of Suspiria in a lot of places

Huh? Suspiria as in the worst cult-following horror film ever made? Or.... something else?

Nope, Suspiria indeed. Love it or hate it, a lot of the surreal uses of color and the way the colors are used to set the tone in a lot of scenes in Necropolis really reminded me of it. And I like Suspiria you meanie.

jone5

Ezquerra is a great artist. I believe some of the first dredd i read was during this period. The artwork during Necropolis is very dark and screwed up and instantly created a lifelong fan in my kid self.

Suspiria is one of Argentos best.If someone hates it they should stay clear from the rest of his work.

Jared Katooie

I was dissapointed by Necropolis. It felt pretty flat, after the exceptional build-up.

Suspiria was another dissapointment. The word "bland" springs to mind.