Main Menu

This weeks Strontium Dog

Started by malkymac, 06 August, 2010, 10:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesedwards

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 August, 2010, 02:05:09 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 August, 2010, 01:37:08 PM
"Wagner's writing fanfic and has let himself down?" Positive? Really?

Not the sentiment by any means, but it's a valid topic for debate - even Wagner (urge to type Wanger is powerful) isn't infallible, and shouldn't be above criticism.  Not all opinion on the subject has to be positive for the discussion itself to make a positive contribution.  

For example, thanks at least in part to jamesedward's posts I've been thinking hard about Strontium Dogs and itching to re-read them, when I'd all but dismissed them.  I've also read all sorts of well thought-out responses to his points, which have made me appreciate the current story even more.  Lively debate = positive.

FYI, then - Hogan has at least one Alpha story in the Sci Fi Special of 1992 which ties into his storyline. Easily missed.

Dunk!

Larf, in two posts you've summed up far more eloquently how I've always felt about Feral and why I too laughed out loud upon viewing that last page.

Cheers, Dunk!
"Trust we"

James Stacey

Bloody hell Larf, there you are sitting on the fence. Spit it out man, don't beat about the bush.

Personally, Final Solution was around the time I started reading 2000ad (actually a year or so before but within my backprog buying at the time) and I thought Feral was cool. I even had a blown up colour photocopy of 617 on the wall of my bedroom. (Looking at in now, maybe Squirrels version of flashback Feral isn't so far off, he looks a lot older than Colin MacNeils). I was shocked by Ferals death but it did seem right in the context of the story.

brendan1

I simply can't believe this affection and reverence for such a terrible character and ordinary stories.

I know it's silly to rever Wagner above all others - like he's some kind of comics demi-god - but let's be honest, he's a close to one as 2000AD will ever get, so to some extent he can do what he wants with his stories.

I wonder, would james prefer Hogan/ Ennis was still knocking out Feral-led SD stories rather than Wagner?

Feral was fucking awful, and the death that Wagner gave him was a lot more than he deserved.

LARF

Quote from: brendan1 on 11 August, 2010, 02:32:21 PM
I simply can't believe this affection and reverence for such a terrible character and ordinary stories.

I know it's silly to rever Wagner above all others - like he's some kind of comics demi-god - but let's be honest, he's a close to one as 2000AD will ever get, so to some extent he can do what he wants with his stories.

I wonder, would james prefer Hogan/ Ennis was still knocking out Feral-led SD stories rather than Wagner?

Feral was fucking awful, and the death that Wagner gave him was a lot more than he deserved.

1. 'Revere' - ffs don't get me started on that Character, oh I see what you mean...

2. If Hogan and Ennis were still knocking out Feral-led SD stories then they'd be photocopying them, using a long arm stapler to put them together and flogging them at BICs for a couple of quid because in that alternative reality 2000AD died in the late 90's. BTW - the term 'knocking out Feral-led SD stories' kind of sums up the phrase 'wank stories', which they were.

jamesedwards

Quote from: brendan1 on 11 August, 2010, 02:32:21 PMI wonder, would james prefer Hogan/ Ennis was still knocking out Feral-led SD stories rather than Wagner?

I'd have chosen the third option - creative team change. Ennis was good but seems to have low self esteem when it comes to 2000ad, Hogan... was not terrible but he was a regressive writer. Imagine a world in which the reins had been turned over to Henry Flint and like, uhm, Robbie Morrison?

The new stories are mostly competent at best. I did like the pilot brain and the singing aliens.

You should probably count to ten, brendan1. I'm no threat to your Wanger shrine.

Proudhuff

Quote from: LARF on 11 August, 2010, 02:38:08 PM
they'd be photocopying them, using a long arm stapler to put them together and flogging them at BICs for a couple of quid 

Hey, you say that like its a bad thing ... 
DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

Quote from: jamesedwards on 11 August, 2010, 02:50:40 PM
You should probably count to ten, brendan1. I'm no threat to your Wanger shrine.
I so read that as wanger shine

brendan1

Hahaha! You said "Wanger" again!

You're very funny and not at all weird.

LARF

Quote from: James Stacey on 11 August, 2010, 02:58:14 PM
Quote from: jamesedwards on 11 August, 2010, 02:50:40 PM
I so read that as wanger shine

He's never going to live that down is he? We're getting into Arsom territory now.

jamesedwards

Shit, I just realised he was dyslexic and now feel like a complete wanker for bringing that up again... the guy who coined that one should feel proud though, it's amazing!

Tweak72

LOL if the dyslexic misspelling gets as much fame as "Arsom" then in a round about way I will be happy. As long as Mr Wagner is not offended, of course.

There is some where a thread where I did a similar thing to Rogue Trooper "Rouge Trooper" which caused some amusement I believe.

As long as people are not rude I have no problem with anyone pointing out mistakes. Its when you get all Spelling Nazi about it without taking into account I cant actually help it. Thats when I get peeved.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

jamesedwards

Quote from: Tweak72 on 11 August, 2010, 03:38:57 PM
There is some where a thread where I did a similar thing to Rogue Trooper "Rouge Trooper" which caused some amusement I believe.

I did that too! I'm not dyslexic, I'm just awful at spelling though.

Did you know some of the weirder 2000ad slang words were from Gerry Finley Day scripts?

Trout

I think the origin of "scrotnig" is somewhere up the thread, or via the newsgroup link.

2. If Hogan and Ennis were still knocking out Feral-led SD stories then they'd be photocopying them, using a long arm stapler to put them together and flogging them at BICs for a couple of quid because in that alternative reality 2000AD died in the late 90's.

I agree with you so much that I now owe you beer.

- Trout

LARF

Quote from: King Trout on 11 August, 2010, 03:53:41 PM
I think the origin of "scrotnig" is somewhere up the thread, or via the newsgroup link.

2. If Hogan and Ennis were still knocking out Feral-led SD stories then they'd be photocopying them, using a long arm stapler to put them together and flogging them at BICs for a couple of quid because in that alternative reality 2000AD died in the late 90's.

I agree with you so much that I now owe you beer.

- Trout

Wow, I'd better come up with some more Trout focused anecdotes and I could live like a king!