Main Menu

IS IT WORTH....

Started by zombemybabynow, 15 September, 2010, 12:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombemybabynow

...Buying 2000ad trade paperbacks, (other than Dredd ,) eg. Lobster Random, Kingdom etc.

When you're never sure if a volume 2 will ever come out?
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Noisybast

Well, look at it this way: if you don't buy Volume 1, Volume 2 is that bit less likely to appear.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

zombemybabynow

I guess so - just find it frustrating to have an uncompleted story in tpb form, no matter how good the art and writing is.

Also really hope Defoe 1666 sold well

IndigoPrime

I think it depends on the book. I don't think I'd bother with most of the DC-deal-era hardbacks, because any subsequent softbacks are likely to repeat the material anyway. However, for some series, they're pretty self-contained anyway. Kingdom is a very good example of that. Sure, we've now been told that there will be more in the Prog, but the trade is a great standalone. The same goes for Shakara. In fact, looking through the entire books list, there are only a few hugely frustrating collections for me:

Caballistics, Inc.: Because it's brilliant, but there's not currently enough for a third book, and Rennie hasn't (as far as we know) written more. Not Rebellion's fault, obv.

Devlin Waugh: Because both books were monumentally screwed up. Swimming in Blood has utterly dreadful repro and Red Tide should have been pulped, given that one of the stories lacks a ton of its speech balloons.

Shamballa: For missing out the rather important story on Mars. (I can take or leave other Meg Cass.)

Red Seas: Because I really want this series to continue; this is one, though, that will clearly need a sales boost for that to happen. Red Seas fans: to the 2000 AD shop!

Keef Monkey

I was thinking this recently when looking at my Lobster Random and Savage books, both have got Volume 1 or something similar on the spine, so its a bit annoying I don't have a nice number 2 to plop down beside them.

I, Cosh

I don't see how it's any different to the story ending on a cliffhanger in the Prog.
We never really die.

Ignatzmonster

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Cosh on 15 September, 2010, 02:29:12 PM
I don't see how it's any different to the story ending on a cliffhanger in the Prog.
Like I said, it depends on the series. Kingdom could end well after the trade, and the same's true for many other books Rebellion's put out. However, for some series—including those I mentioned—it is much more like seeing "to be continued" and then never seeing the next bit. Of course, sales have to come into play, though—there's no point in Rebellion putting out another book in several poorly selling series, thereby jeopardising the entire line. Somewhat similarly, it also makes sense to be somewhat more cautious with certain series, with slower releases, enabling overall sales to be boosted by 'certs', such as Judge Dredd.

Colin YNWA

Absolutely. Assuming you're not going to get the back progs. They all have something to offer. 'Kingdom' I'd suggest as the quintessential 2000ad thrill. Not my personal favourite, though I do love it, but there's something so very 2000ad about it.

Since you've mentioned it 'Lobster Random' is a personal fav of mine and is brillant mind bending stuff.

Mongoose are selling stuff cheap why not check out 'Devlin Waugh' by my fav 2000ad writer (probably) John Smith.

Or if you're looking for an old skool thrill then 'Flesh' is just wonderful and my favourite of the early days (though remember it is 30+ years old).

Or possibly the best strip in 2000ad Nikolai Dante is there for the taking in trade (get volume 3 asap as its hard to find but is in the 2000ad shop now). There's a lot of it but its so very worth it.

I could go on but I'll stop there. Defo try something else though, defo.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 15 September, 2010, 02:13:12 PM
I was thinking this recently when looking at my Lobster Random and Savage books, both have got Volume 1 or something similar on the spine, so its a bit annoying I don't have a nice number 2 to plop down beside them.

Since Savage volume 1 had books 1-3 in it and book 6 has only just finished in the prog I'm thinking it's fairly likely we'll get second volume containing books 4-6 in the not too distant future.

Emperor

Its a sequential medium so you are going to have some books collecting part of a larger overall story - the good thing is that: a) A lot of stories (Waugh, Lobster random, etc.) are relatively self-contained so this isn't really a big deal b) One of the strengths of an anthology is that a series can never be cancelled on the grounds of poor sales, so you are rarely going to have the awkward situation where a story just stops.* The only current exception might be Lobster Random which ended on a bit of a promise this was just the start of more stories (I assume the Spurrier droid will provide more eventually but has been working in Yankee comics and on a screenplay and some novels) and Cabbalistics Inc which still has a story left to tell (I seem to recall Gordon Rennie saying he had two incomplete series he wanted to finish off when he answered the siren call of the video game industry - one he'd do himself and the other he'd hand-pick someone for the gig. As Art boxed off the 86ers this means he should be finishing off Cabs but there is no news of that, although he is back working in the House of Tharg it will surely happen at some point. He is on the forums so perhaps he'll enlighten us on plans - it might require Dom Reardon to become free and he might be pencilled in for Bod 2 first).

In summary: Yes by them if you want to read the stories.

* Except in extreme situations when a droid walks past a strong electro-magnet perhaps or they incur the wrath of Tharg but even then their stories are often boxed off (like Peter Hogan's Durham Red stories) or some clever spark comes up with a good idea for a sequel (like Canon Fodder). If a story is solid and worth collecting then Tharg will find a way, if no one would buy the collection in the first place it is quietly dropped down the back of a Nerve Centre sofa.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

zombemybabynow

QuoteI don't see how it's any different to the story ending on a cliffhanger in the Prog.

That's one of my points, Defoe 1666 ends with the [spoiler]Faust reveal[/spoiler]

I guess it's fine to have that book on it's own but I would want book 2 - so when i read the tpbs; the storylines are wrapped up.

BPP

Depends on your interest in the book. You can sorta deduce what is going to be in GN form from what has been / authors / how much more there is.

Your Lobster Random is 'complete' in that its the self contained story of BK I. Seeing as BKs II-IV and The Vort have come and gone since then sadly one doubts it will be collected any time soon. Personally I'd be pimping it like Brooke Shields in Pretty Baby if it came out but love of the lob seems limited.

Shakara would be up for Vol. II after the next (final?) book or after a 6th BK if we were so lucky. ATM its only had one uncollected BK in 2000AD so its not really going to have a vol. 2 yet.

Stickleback has BKs I & II in the TPB and BK III done in the progs. Given the story ended 'mysteriously' it might not be back. But if it was you can be sure D'Israeli's popularity would mean a second volume collecting BK III & IV.

The Red Seas gets so roundly slated sadly one doubts if its is going to be seen but given it is B&W it is perfect for a casefile. *sigh*
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 September, 2010, 03:07:50 PM

Or if you're looking for an old skool thrill then 'Flesh' is just wonderful and my favourite of the early days (though remember it is 30+ years old).

Its out of print and you cant get it anywhere which leads to another question of will there be another reprint or not ?
Quote from: zombemybabynow on 15 September, 2010, 12:20:35 PM
...Buying 2000ad trade paperbacks, (other than Dredd ,) eg. Lobster Random, Kingdom etc.

When you're never sure if a volume 2 will ever come out?

You can never be totally sure but another collected edition of Kingdom wont be available until there is enough material to collect but its very likely that it will be collected as there is a new instalment imminent but since the chapters of Kingdom that are already collected are like complete stories in themselves i dont see the fact that there might not be another Book 2 collected as any kind of deterrent against buying it as its ongoing.

I dont think your point applies to Kingdom for that reason but i can see that it does with material that has already been printed but not yet collected.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Colin Zeal

Even if the rest isn't collected in a trade then Kingdom is well worth buying as it is totally scrotnig.