Main Menu

Rufus Dayglo Tank Girl Q&A

Started by Noisybast, 05 October, 2010, 05:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

Quote from: M.I.K. on 05 October, 2010, 07:18:21 PM
Uh-huh, but if you compare the stuff that's "a bit McMahon" with the stuff that's "a bit Jamie Hewlett", you'll find that both are "quite a bit Rufus Dayglo". Seems to me that he's emphasising the similarities that his style already has with them more than he's emulating them.

There is nothing wrong with one artist copying i mean emulating another anyway and its probably why Rufus Dayglo was chosen to draw it either because he could emulate it or because his style is very similar.

Good art is good art and it matters not to me if one artist is very similar to another.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 06 October, 2010, 04:04:39 PM
Uh-huh, but if you compare the stuff that's "a bit McMahon" with the stuff that's "a bit Jamie Hewlett", you'll find that both are "quite a bit Rufus Dayglo". Seems to me that he's emphasising the similarities that his style already has with them more than he's emulating them.

There is nothing wrong with one artist copying i mean emulating another anyway and its probably why Rufus Dayglo was chosen to draw it either because he could emulate it or because his style is very similar.

Good art is good art and it matters not to me if one artist is very similar to another.

Quote from: Steve Green on 06 October, 2010, 03:39:22 PM
Is this thread some kind of retaliation for the outbreak of goodwill in the Secret Project?

Depressing.

I think the Fluoride level in the tapwater needs increasing.

*Not sure what happened then as i didnt mean to post twice.  :-\  Anyway worse things happen at sea.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 06 October, 2010, 04:06:34 PM
I think the Fluoride level in the tapwater needs increasing.

Then we can flame each other with shiny teeth!

ghostpockets

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 October, 2010, 09:54:43 AM
I'd be very sorry if we didn't see more from the man who gave us 'Streets of Dan Francisco'.  

Agreed. 'Streets of Dan Francisco' was the strip that made me decide to rejoin the fold.

M.I.K.

I think Rufus should be allowed to have a go at drawing every comic strip in the world at least once.

I bet he'd draw a damn good Minnie The Minx.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: M.I.K. on 06 October, 2010, 06:08:01 PM
I think Rufus should be allowed to have a go at drawing every comic strip in the world at least once.

I bet he'd draw a damn good Minnie The Minx.

True! He does a mean Dennis the Menace...

Slad

Being new I don't quite understand what is happening here.
Rufus is a talented and nice guy.
Like my old mum used to say..."If you haven't got anything nice to say...FUCK OFF!"

p.s..... sorry for the swearing  :-[
"Just eat the frog!"

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Slad on 06 October, 2010, 06:25:55 PM
Like my old mum used to say..."If you haven't got anything nice to say...FUCK OFF!"

p.s..... sorry for the swearing  :-[

Nope, a lot of what you (and your mum) says makes perfect sense.
Short answer is- some people don't like Tank Girl and seem to take it personally.

And Rufus is a true gentleman- one of the nicest people I have ever have had the pleasure of meeting- and I've met Jim Campbell.

Oh- and welcome to the board!

chris_askham

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 06 October, 2010, 04:04:39 PM

And wasn't McMahon himself told to 'emulate' Carlos in the early days of Judge Dredd?

All beside the point anyway. For what it's worth, I always enjoyed Tank Girl (and Rufus' art) in the Meg. Maybe there should have been more breaks in the run, being as it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's gone now anyway...

TordelBack

You may be new here, but you seem to have more of a handle on the business of civilised behaviour than some.

Emperor

And a great mom, which is more than we can say about some ;)

Well I've been here a while and I stil don't get it.

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 06 October, 2010, 06:43:05 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 06 October, 2010, 06:43:05 PMRufus is a talented and nice guy.

p.s..... sorry for the swearing  :-[

Nope, a lot of what you (and your mum) says makes perfect sense.
Short answer is- some people don't like Tank Girl and seem to take it personally.

And also lose sight of the fact that taste is subjective - you might not like something but it doesn't mean it is rubbish (the fact that other people hold a differing opinion being a large sign pointing to this). The really sad thing is this is exactly the kind of thing that drove Rufus away in the first place, which is the forum's loss. As the Boo Cook interview in the recent Meg shows constructive criticism can actually help (but I bet it still stings for a bit, I know I feel a bit bad for my involvement), but just dismissing someone's hard work out of hand gives them nothing they can work with and can be really off-putting - I can't really blame anyone for not wanting to read the board after that, after all you're still putting comics out there and a big dollop of negativity isn't going to help oil the wheels of creativity.

Quote from: Steve Green on 06 October, 2010, 03:39:22 PM
Is this thread some kind of retaliation for the outbreak of goodwill in the Secret Project?

Depressing.

I do hope it isn't a sign of some kind of karmic balance being reasserted (or one of the many laws of the Internet kicking it: "For every act of kindness, has an equal and opposite effect").

If so it'd mean I'd have to be truly horrible on here a couple of days a month to build up enough good karma to tied us through the rest of the month - calling people all sorts of names and posting up the Tharg's Filthy Shocks series I have been working on (and perhaps Tharg's Filthy Socks too).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Dog Deever

Quote from: Emperor on 06 October, 2010, 07:10:53 PM
If so it'd mean I'd have to be truly horrible on here a couple of days a month to build up enough good karma to tied us through the rest of the month - calling people all sorts of names and posting up the Tharg's Filthy Shocks series I have been working on (and perhaps Tharg's Filthy Socks too).

IT'S TIDE US THROUGH.
CALL YOURSELF A WRITER?
STUPID FUCKING CUNT.

[spoiler][/satire][/spoiler]
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Emperor

Quote from: Dog Deever on 06 October, 2010, 08:27:42 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 06 October, 2010, 07:10:53 PM

IT'S TIDE US THROUGH.
CALL YOURSELF A WRITER?
STUPID FUCKING CUNT.

[spoiler][/satire][/spoiler]

LOL - eye did paws for a moment and think eye should look it up (eye should know it as eye had two cheque before) and then thought "Fuck it - let my too day rain of terror commence now!!" How are ewe liking it so far? Not much eye reckon, but just ewe weight.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Peter Wolf

I dont believe in any kind of Karmic balance

p.s..... sorry for the swearing  :-[

My Mum always says - "If you havent got anything to say then dont say it".

Very wise words.

"If you havent got anything nice to say then dont say it"  :-\

If i havent got anything nice to say then how can i not say it if i dont have anything nice to say ?

:-\

Fatboydale

Quote from: Noisybast on 06 October, 2010, 09:52:36 AM
Actually, the more I think about this, the more it irks me. Do you ever stop bloody moaning, Dale? Tank Girl's shit, 3A are shit, what, did Ashley Wood and Rufus call you names when you were five? Get some fucking perspective and stop being such a bloody whiner!

funny im not allowed an opinion ,i have not made any direct insult towards Ashley woods or Rufus....so shut the fuck up  ...... your the one moaning here..

[quote To be fair, the Fatboydale charm offensive has other items in its arsenal, including threatening other boarders and, having been warned about that, complaining about being bullied whilst making a veiled threat to another boarder, me, and then following it up with a less veiled threat by PM and harassment on Facebook.

So, yeah, a real force for good on this board, our boy Dale.

Jim
[/quote]

You are a real fucking wanker , show everyone the email i sent you before slagging me off , i asked you to "stop being a twat ....or at least calling me a twat ..."  and even for harmony i asked to make peace ...

Yet again you wish to bully me .Force for good , thats not what you are  , i find you quite sad . 

In real life i will not be bullied , if you wish to come and bully me please do .