Main Menu

Prog 2011 - Bringing the Galaxy the Gift of Thrill-Power!

Started by John Caliber, 13 December, 2010, 10:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Caliber

Looks like the progs are slowly getting through the winter storms.

NEWSFLASH! Art droid Clint Langley is leaving Slaine, effective as of Prog 2011. Slaine the Mercenary ends in a wintry bang. Not quite sure what's happening amidst the murky, blurred art, but it remains a fun read.

JUDGE DREDD: Disappointed that John Wagner did not pen this year's end story. How long's his holiday meant to be? Mega-City One needs him!

SHAKARA returns. The art looks somewhat messier than previous instalments and the heavy use of grey-shades dampens the sense of perspective. BUT, rather Shakara than Ampney Crucis... oh stomm, that nonsense hasn't finished yet?

ROGUE TROOPER is back, a return handled properly by - who else? - its creator Gerry Finley-Day with support from Pat Mills. Lots of creativity, energetically paced and a sense of fun, abetted by Staz Johnson and Simon Bowland, 2000AD's best lettering droid. What more needs be said? Prospective 2000AD creators, make this your standard! Sod American fashions, write in the traditional British way.

CADET ANDERSON Little Cassandra mind-probes a serial killer's victim and gets a slapping from another Judge. More run of the mill Psi-Judge larks.

There is an advert for FLESH (called 'Texas') featuring a close-up of a dinosaur's eye. Not a lot to get excited about so far.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

John Caliber

No, there are eight stories but the others I didn't read. They are:

AMPNEY CRUCIS INVESTIGATES
NECROPHIM
KINGDOM
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Buttonman

Is there a letters page? Not for me you understand but I hear some people like it.

Loaded sumo

I'm not a subscriber so I have to hole up in my house, curled into an excited ball of human grease and waste waiting for it.
:(

TordelBack

You didn't read Kingdom?  That's going to be the first thing I turn to (although I am tempted by another Al Ewing Crimbodredd, the last two were magnificent).

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Loaded sumo on 13 December, 2010, 05:00:09 PM
I'm not a subscriber so I have to hole up in my house, curled into an excited ball of human grease and waste waiting for it.
:(

I'm a subsciber & I'm still waiting for my thrill power!!!! :(
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Buttonman

Hoo-ray - double letters page with 10 letters!

Boo-ray - My Christmas classic was stuffed up the chimney

Hoo-ray - The spirit of Christmas well past it isn't either!

ming

Heh, even I got a letter printed, which was nice (especially as Green Bonce has printed both the letters I've sent in this year - my first in 30 years).

Looks like a great end of year Prog, but I'll have to pace the reading of this one to avoid cold-turkey before 2011 kicks in and regular Thrill-doses resume.

Looking forward to more Flesh!

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

moly

i still havent got mine and i only live in chelmsford down the road from there distribution depot..aarggh

radiator

DrJomster

Prog 2011 arrived today!

Open prog,
Read Rogue Trooper,
Sigh contentedly,
Post to forums immediately!

Really, really liked this! So pleased to see Gerry back in 2000AD and you know what, unsurprisingly it feels like a Gerry story too. And this is a very good thing indeed! Loved the art from Staz, particularly one panel coming down some smoke filled stairs, and lettering great as always from Simon. Really hope we can have some more from this team.  :D
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 13 December, 2010, 08:56:55 PM
Kingdom review please

This is the review of the tale of Gene the Hackman. Of how Dr X thinks the muscles in Abnett and Richard Elson's head done tell a great story. Dr X did not know why Kingdom had gone and left us, but is glad it came back. Just look at the ruined city with the little doll's head. It is a bad place. Nothing good there. Nothing really happens there, but the nine pages are clever. Gene Dog, he gets whet with a spider insect Them. It was going to make him deader and dead. Then Gene Dog is saved by a friend and he wasn't alone no more. And he [spoiler]hears his masters voice[/spoiler], which makes Gene Dog mad.
Lock up your spoons!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Clint Langley's leaving Slaine? It's long overdue, can't remember the last time I read a Slaine that he didn't do. Nothing against Langley's style (although I think the glossy paper doesn't do his darker tones any favours), I'd just like to see an all new take on the character
You may quote me on that.