Main Menu

Who are the Holocaust Squad?

Started by Hoagy, 21 March, 2011, 09:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoagy

How popular are they?

I've read about them before somewhere 2000ad related and now in the Meg relating the Mongoose figures. I know of the Riot Judges but who are these Holocaust lot?  And did they make a big splash? Or are they classic (really old) characters?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Robin Low

Quote from: Krombasher on 21 March, 2011, 09:01:41 PM
How popular are they?

I've read about them before somewhere 2000ad related and now in the Meg relating the Mongoose figures. I know of the Riot Judges but who are these Holocaust lot?  And did they make a big splash? Or are they classic (really old) characters?

Essentially they were Judges who dealt with large scale disaster situations that were suicide missions - going into shut down a nuclear reactor, for example. I think the only time they ever appeared in Dredd was the Father Earth storyline, Prog 122-125.

There was a series featuring a team of them in the Megazine, which I personally loathed. The characters were mostly undisciplined, reject Judges who were allowed to break the law (smoking, alcohol and so) because they were pretty much a suicide squad. They didn't look like Judges, didn't feel like Judges. For me, this made absolutely no sense whatsoever, given that if you're going into complex, high-stress situations, one thing you're going to need is discipline, and I didn't see Justice Department cutting them any slack - after all, every Judge's life is constantly on the line.

Regards

Robin

Art

There's a Ron Smith Holocaust Squad story where they basically dive into an erupting volcano (the result of a Power Tower gone wrong) wearing protective suits and just about manage to stop it before melting.

Greg M.

Quote from: Robin Low on 21 March, 2011, 09:22:30 PM
There was a series featuring a team of them in the Megazine, which I personally loathed. The characters were mostly undisciplined, reject Judges who were allowed to break the law (smoking, alcohol and so) because they were pretty much a suicide squad. They didn't look like Judges, didn't feel like Judges. For me, this made absolutely no sense whatsoever, given that if you're going into complex, high-stress situations, one thing you're going to need is discipline, and I didn't see Justice Department cutting them any slack - after all, every Judge's life is constantly on the line.

I recall that one, 'Holocaust 12'... really didn't like it either, even though, if memory serves, if was a John Smith story and it's not often he puts a foot wrong. I tend to agree that the Holocaust Squad that story presented were wildly at odds with the way they'd been depicted before: they were traditionally the absolute elite, the most dedicated judges imaginable, not a bunch of drop-outs.

Hoagy

Ah the Mega-city disaster squad working too much out of a Ro-Busters template. Glaringly obvious comparisons made?

Now they are in figurine; does this mean their cannon is set?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

Hoagy

Quote from: Greg M. on 21 March, 2011, 09:38:49 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 21 March, 2011, 09:22:30 PM

I recall that one, 'Holocaust 12'... really didn't like it either, even though, if memory serves, if was a John Smith story and it's not often he puts a foot wrong. I tend to agree that the Holocaust Squad that story presented were wildly at odds with the way they'd been depicted before: they were traditionally the absolute elite, the most dedicated judges imaginable, not a bunch of drop-outs.

Yeah, I see the absolute elite squad written like Dan Abnett. You could have the cracks in each starting  to show under the constant pressure, making for a far more involving story.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

Art

I lalways get them a bit mixed up with The Corp, but that's a different group of dead hard don't-play-by-the-rules disposable judges entirely.

Proudhuff

you'd think the Justice Dept would have desposable clones for this kinda thing...
DDT did a job on me

PreacherCain

I kind of liked those Holocaust 12 stories, I was a youngfella at the time though so maybe the over-the-top violence appealed to me more than it would now. Think there were two series'; the first drawn by Jim Murray (where's he these days!? And Jason Brashill too...), the second by a completely different artist.

Never really took off, though I did like the concept quite a lot. Really liked the idea of The Corps too, though it was a bit of a spin on the VC's.

radiator

The (Jim Murray) art on the first series was pretty stunning IIRC - though it may not have aged well as tends to be the case with a lot of that 1990s painted stuff.

Ramon Kleese

QuoteThe (Jim Murray) art on the first series was pretty stunning IIRC - though it may not have aged well as tends to be the case with a lot of that 1990s painted stuff.
What did you mean?

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: PreacherCain on 23 March, 2011, 04:57:10 PM
the second by a completely different artist.

That'd be a young & analog Clint Langley. Whatever became of him, eh?

John co-wrote both series with Chris "Harmony" Standley. Although, for some odd reason they choose not to opt for musical narrative ala Fervent & Lobe.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"