Main Menu

2000AD love-in @ Whitechapel

Started by Emperor, 05 July, 2011, 12:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

As mentioned elsewhere, Simon Spurrier is next up to produce a webcomic for Avatar Press and Wicked Uncle Warren is slowly handing the Whitechapel reigns over. This has led to some minor megalomania already, including a thread for extolling one's love for the prog:

QuoteI have a lot of love for 2000AD. Forgive me going gooey.

[As if it needs to be said, we're in the territory here of a skull-biffingly tasty weekly anthology comic, published in the UK since 1977, packed with juicy ultra-compressed nuggets of hi-octane thrills, sci-fi lasersex, horror creepghastism and assorted weirdness. And no superheroes.]

There are very few British writers or artists, active in the industry today, who haven't had involvement with the Prog in one form or another. I know there are already a few Squaxx among the Whitechapel massive, so forgive me preaching to the converted. And cover me. I've got me an urge to proselytize in the name of Good Bloody Comics, and here I plant the flag.

http://freakangels.com/whitechapel/comments.php?DiscussionID=10004

Feel free to pop over if you like.

No sharks.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

TordelBack

I like the way Spurrier, Molcher and Emperor all studiously avoid mentioning the existence of this very forum! Some things are best kept hidden, at least until the hooks are in deep.

2000AD Fandom:  Your number one source for gypsy jokes, Transformers collecting news, dairy-based tech support and yank bashing!

Colin YNWA

Very nice that Mr Spurrier avoided the cliche (well it is by now) of listing strips from the first 500 progs and pointed out that we're currently in a Golden Age, like now, right this minute, golden age here and now!

Well done that Spurrier wish there was more out there (and the relentless Mr Weston) like that.

El Spurioso

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 July, 2011, 09:55:23 AM
I like the way Spurrier, Molcher and Emperor all studiously avoid mentioning the existence of this very forum!

Ha - it's a fair cop.

Truth is, I'm taking over stewardship of the Whitechapel boards from the esteemed Mr Ellis sometime this Summer, to coincide with the release of some free webcomics I'll be putting out via Avatar, and part of the plan is find new ways to reinvigorate the membership of those boards. Bring in some new contributors and turn it into a crackling hub of comicky, culture-y, web-based-fun-stuff-y content, that sort of thing. You'll understand therefore that, in this "getting to know you" period, it would be a bit of a gunbarrel-to-foot moment if I started advertising the existence of other fun communities in the same breath. :)

My hope is that, eventually, we'll get a lot of crossover traffic between Whitechapel and here anyway - as well as other savvy comicky communities - for the simple reason that there are too few Good People Talking About Good Non-Superhero Comics online these days, and it makes sense to let the doors revolve.  So, yeah.  Come play in the Whitechapel sandbox sometime too, if anyone fancies it.  It's not as scary as it might seem. 

TordelBack

Quote from: El Spurioso on 05 July, 2011, 12:27:01 PMYou'll understand therefore that, in this "getting to know you" period, it would be a bit of a gunbarrel-to-foot moment if I started advertising the existence of other fun communities in the same breath. :)

Ooooh they're slippery as eels, is writers.  Ya hates us, don't ya matey?   ;)