Main Menu

Prometheus

Started by Mardroid, 25 July, 2011, 12:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I thought the film jumped the shark the moment everyone took their helmets off in the tunnels.
I could buy the fact that one character would be stupid enough but he should have been immediately quarantined.

radiator

And what about that bloke smoking (weed?) inside his spacesuit?

Jesus wept.

There are so many of these little things that wash over you at the time, but when you think back seem downright bizarre. Like the way Idris Elba says the word "vase" for instance.

mygrimmbrother

Idris Elba's accent in The Wire was faultless. So I imagine his audition went osmething like:

Ridley: 'Yeah that's really good Idris, but how about you try a Southern US accent, just for the hell of it?'

Idris: 'I'm no good at that. It'll be shit.'

Ridley: 'No problem! Everything else will be anyway.'

Buddy

Seen it last night and actually enjoyed it, despite it being full of plot holes and shit acting (where did they get that Scottish woman from?) and shit dialogue.

I agree with most of the detractors here, things would happen (like the size that squid thing grew to) and I'd think "wouldn't that need some sort of food source to grow to that size?" or whatever.

Things happen in it that just don't follow any logic and I really don't think a follow up film will be answering any questions.

And that alien coming out of the engineer seemed tacked on just to say " YOU SEE, IT REALLY IS AN ALIEN FILM!!!"

But, I still very much enjoyed it. DVD release to have an extra 20 mins or so, interesting to see if it makes any more sense with the extra footage.

Eric Plumrose

Maybe humanity was created simply for no other reason than the Engineers needed a test subject to try the bio-weapons on and it's only our stupid hubris that thinks we actually hold some special place in the universe or maybe . . .

Or maybe it's just a load of old symbolics
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

radiator

Be interesting to see what kind of second week drop-off Prometheus has at the box office. I'm guessing it's going to be a pretty bloody big one.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JamesC on 13 June, 2012, 12:36:04 PM
I thought the film jumped the shark the moment everyone took their helmets off in the tunnels.

There was a film in the last century that did that too, it was equally shite.

brendan1

Quote from: radiator on 13 June, 2012, 12:06:31 PM
QuoteMaybe the Engineers hoem planet has different gravity/ radiation/ sunlight whatever that has taken their DNA in a different evolutionary direction, while keeping it the same on a genetic level?

I'm no expert, but isn't that completely nonsensical?

Why not just say we're genetically related to them? Why was it even necessary to state anyway? Wasn't the fact they look just like us and the giant humanoid head in the tomb evidence enough?

QuoteAs for the second C-section point, it was one of the strangest bits of the film. I was very bemused at how little was made of it. At that point it really started unravelling.

Me too - I remember looking round with a bewildered expression on my face to see if anyone else in the audience has the same expression. It all just kind of washed over me after that, one silly thing after another. By the end I was laughing out loud at things like them running away from the rolling spaceship and David's head in the bowling ball bag.

In the future, Prometheus will be looked back at as a cult classic, but not in the way it's makers would have liked...

Well, if humans evolved on two separate planets identical apart from gravity, they'd look very different

As for "cult classic" I assume you're trying to infer that it will be a "so bad, it's great" laugh-along type of film. Which is, frankly, absurd.

It'll be seen as a huge-grossing sci-fi film that lots of people really enjoyed, but had some flaws.

I suppose it's what I find so irritating about most fansites, anoraks and scojo-level of obsession: everything is viewed through a really warped lens.

Most people who went to see it, enjoyed it, and it's one of the year's better films.

Frothing at the mouth about the plot - which does have some major "what the fuck?" moments - is to be expected, but when I read posts that say things like:

"Oh it was all fucking RUINED for me the moment one of them took his helmet off, and they all followed suit, like as IF, according to my extensive knowledge of space exploration is the year 2093, he would have been IMMEDIATELY QUARANTINED" my eyes just roll back into my head and I sigh heavily.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: brendan1 on 13 June, 2012, 02:19:39 PM

It'll be seen as a huge-grossing sci-fi film that lots of people really enjoyed, but had some flaws.

Not sure if it'll gross a vast amount. They spent around $130-150 million making it and probably close to $100 million on marketing the shite out of it so it'll have to make around $500 million (breaking-even) before it goes into profit and it's nowhere near that. It's current take is around $150 million at the box-office but theatres will take nearly half that and I expect there'll be a rapid fall-off over the next 2 weeks due to negative reviews. Sequels may not be on the table, there maybe more Alien films after this but no more Prometheus.

JOE SOAP

Most people who went to see it, enjoyed it, and it's one of the year's better films.

Not sure 'bout that, the count seems to be sliding more towards the nays as the fanboys who viewed it in the first weeks drop away and the regular cinema-goers voice their opinion.

brendan1

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 June, 2012, 02:26:54 PM

Not sure if it'll gross a vast amount. They spent around $130-150 million making it and probably close to $100 million on marketing the shite out of it so it'll have to make around $500 million (breaking-even) before it goes into profit and it's nowhere near that. It's current take is around $150 million at the box-office but theatres will take nearly half that and I expect there'll be a rapid fall-off over the next 2 weeks due to negative reviews. Sequels may not be on the table, there maybe more Alien films after this but no more Prometheus.

I think it'll do OK. Not a mega-hit, but enough to get a sequel green-lit, hopefully.

I still think I'd prefer to see the Alien(s) back in a proper film with a proper budget, though

JamesC

Quote from: Buddy on 13 June, 2012, 01:35:42 PM
where did they get that Scottish woman from?

Scotland?

mygrimmbrother

This from Wikipedia:

"In 2089, archaeologists Elizabeth Shaw and Charlie Holloway discover a star map among several unconnected ancient cultures. They interpret this as an invitation from humanity's forerunners, or "Engineers". Peter Weyland, the elderly CEO of Weyland Corporation, funds the creation of the scientific vessel Prometheus to follow the map to the distant moon LV-223. The ship's crew travels in stasis while the android David monitors their voyage. Arriving in 2093, they are informed of their mission to find the Engineers. Mission director Meredith Vickers orders them to avoid making direct contact."

So wait a minute - a crew of 15 or so scientists and technicians volunteer for a 4-year hypersleep journey without discovering what it's all about until they get there?? Just one of many WTF moments, I know, but this one hadn't actually occurred to me until I read that. 

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 13 June, 2012, 12:06:31 PM
QuoteMaybe the Engineers hoem planet has different gravity/ radiation/ sunlight whatever that has taken their DNA in a different evolutionary direction, while keeping it the same on a genetic level?

I'm no expert, but isn't that completely nonsensical?

Why not just say we're genetically related to them? Why was it even necessary to state anyway? Wasn't the fact they look just like us and the giant humanoid head in the tomb evidence enough?

QuoteAs for the second C-section point, it was one of the strangest bits of the film. I was very bemused at how little was made of it. At that point it really started unravelling.

Me too - I remember looking round with a bewildered expression on my face to see if anyone else in the audience has the same expression. It all just kind of washed over me after that, one silly thing after another. By the end I was laughing out loud at things like them running away from the rolling spaceship and David's head in the bowling ball bag.

In the future, Prometheus will be looked back at as a cult classic, but not in the way it's makers would have liked...

Well, if humans evolved on two separate planets identical apart from gravity, they'd look very different

As for "cult classic" I assume you're trying to infer that it will be a "so bad, it's great" laugh-along type of film. Which is, frankly, absurd.

I suppose it's what I find so irritating about most fansites, anoraks and scojo-level of obsession: everything is viewed through a really warped lens.

Frothing at the mouth about the plot - which does have some major "what the fuck?" moments - is to be expected, but when I read posts that say things like:

"Oh it was all fucking RUINED for me the moment one of them took his helmet off, and they all followed suit, like as IF, according to my extensive knowledge of space exploration is the year 2093, he would have been IMMEDIATELY QUARANTINED" my eyes just roll back into my head and I sigh heavily.

While I broadly agree with you (even though I seem to be the person you're mis-quoting!) I think this suffers from the same problem as many of the weaker Doctor Who episodes.
Namely that with very minimal effort most of the plot holes could be sorted with very minor tweaks to the dialogue/script.

HdE

Quote from: brendan1 on 13 June, 2012, 11:56:45 AM

As for the second C-section point, it was one of the strangest bits of the film. I was very bemused at how little was made of it. At that point it really started unravelling.

That part of the movie give me problems upon problems.

For one thing, it seems to be there PURELY for the 'ick' factor, and to get the squid-hugger into the movie.

For another - it makes no bloody sense at all. I mean, consider: [spoiler]Shaw anaesthetizes herself... but appears to still be in considerable pain during the procedure.

For yet another, we see her stomach expanding and doing horrible things... but when the squiddy is removed, IT'S COMPLETELY INANIMATE and even 'hatches' right in front of her.[/spoiler]

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/