Main Menu

Work Authority?

Started by Banners, 27 July, 2011, 02:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

A few months ago, a chap phoned up and asked for a bit of design and a some printing for his work. Since invoicing his firm, they are now refusing to pay as the say this bloke didn't have the authority to order any work.

Surely that's not my problem. Am I supposed to check with people's superiors before doing any work now...?

Steven Sterlacchini

Did they use the work?

Also did you get a purchase order or something in writing or even an email?

Banners

Yup, they used the work. I rarely get formal purchase orders, so there isn't one here. But I do have emails going back and forth detailing the work as the designs progress.

I can write off the time I spent as 'one of those things', but there was a material cost for the printing I don't want to be out of pocket on...

~sigh~

WoD

Small claims...and take it on with the attitiude of it being a project.

TordelBack

EDIT:  Damnit, too much typing, too slowly!  Anyway, ignoring the above exchange, here was what I had written...

If you've nothing in writing in this situation, it's very hard to argue your way into payment.  Even with documentation, yes, their commissioning system is at fault (or they're hiding behind that fact), but you're talking about taking them to small claims court to prove it.

This happened to us time and time again, with reliable clients, site managers, local authorities and government departments: the person we were dealing with instructed us to do something, and then everyone else denied that they were authorised to do so, or even did so at all.  We're still arguing a few of them, even as we're winding up. 

The only way we were ever able to get around it was to INSIST on a written instruction: we would send them a note setting out what they were agreeing to (a brief informal contract, essentially), and ask them to sign it and send it back. 

Obviously a proper contract or PO is preferable, but you have to be realistic - even an e-mail acknowledging that note would do. 

This doesn't have any advantage if they aren't going to pay anyway by whatever means they choose, but what it does do is make the commissioner very nervous and cautious about what they are signing up for.  You may lose the odd client over this insistence, but each client that doesn't pay wipes out the benefit of 2 or 3 that do.

Steven Sterlacchini

Yep, small claims court.

The fact that you have emails from a representative of their company and they used the work, goes against them.

PM me who they are.

You could always demand all the work back including the print?

Buddy

Seems odd that although this bloke had no authority to order the work the company was very happy to use it.

Where did they think the work came from?

The company should be punishing the unauthorized bloke for making claims on behalf of the company without actually having permission from the company to do so, and thus making the company look like prats.

Banners

Cheers, Fellas.

I've just had an unpleasant phone call from this chap - angry that I've gone over his head to his firm's Accounts dept. (despite him not answering my recent emails), so it's all a bit upsetting. If it was me I would be apologising and getting the payment made asap, rather than having a go!

I can't help feeling exploited, especially as this was a rush job and I went out of my way to get stuff done on time.

I hate this side of things, but guess it may be time to 'grow up' and get proper purchase orders before beginning new work, for new clients at least.

Thanks again...

Richmond Clements

If they didn't authorise the work, then are they not using your copyrighted material illegally..?

Steven Sterlacchini

Matt Timson

Pffft...

Banners

Awesome video. Am so tempted to send them a link(!)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Banners, did you get my PM?
Lock up your spoons!

Banners

Yup - just replied. Top man :-)