Main Menu

PARAGON comic

Started by Daveycandlish, 27 November, 2011, 08:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Cheers Tordelback!

The last of the pre-orders are going out today so everyone should have their copy VERY soon :)

Be sure to let us know what you think - spread the word!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Cthulouis

Wohoo! Mine arrived today. So far I've only read the two Spencer Nero stories, and they were both great! Saving the rest for lunch time at work tomorrow.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can only order mine in the New Year!!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

JAMESCOR

My physical copy turned up today, for me the cover colours don't come out too well they probably looked much better on screen which is a shame as it's a nice pulpy layout.
Louis take on Mekko Sapiens has some well designed layouts with a nice clear lines.

The two Spencer Nero strips are rather different but equally fun rip snorting adventure.
Favourite by far is still Icarus the art is dynamic and gives the story real pace and the story is still suitably mental.
By far the most fully formed issue yet things bode well for next year with the addition of more new strips.

Well done all

Daveycandlish

QuoteI can only order mine in the New Year!!!

Don't worry I'll keep a copy back for you  :)

Quoteit's a nice pulpy layout

It would have probably helped if we'd printed on newsprint rather than the glossy card covers but weirdly that would have been too expensive :-\

www.lulu.com have a special offer on until the 14th Dec of 25% off any order, so get along there quick to order your copy using COUNTDOWNUK305 as a voucher code
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Daveycandlish

http://paragoncomic.blogspot.com/2011/12/bogof-christmas.html

Christmas is coming and as a special treat, if you order the latest issue of PARAGON you can get a back issue free! That's right - buy one, get one free - it's a BOGOF Christmas!
Just let me know which issue you want in the special instruction section of the paypal payment.
This offer will only be on until Dec 31st so you need to get in quick!

Daveycandlish

Review of this issue is up on the FP blog

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2012/paragon-issue-9/

with some nice things to say about cover star Spencer Nero...

but do you agree with the rest? Do let me know your opinions!

JAMESCOR

Must say I agree with his nice but patchy assessment thinking about having that on business cards.
Other than that he has a fair point about reprinting the Jikan strips my one appeared what eighteen months ago, so asking someone to take a punt on thirty two pages of small press comics when a quarter of it is consistently reprint somewhat lessen the values. Overall though I do think it is a spirited effort that should continue in some way.

Daveycandlish

Just out of curiosity - is there anyone here that buys PARAGON that hasn't bought a copy of The Jikan collection? Or indeed, bought the collected tales but doesn't buy the regular comic?

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: JAMESCOR on 25 January, 2012, 07:23:19 PM
Other than that he has a fair point about reprinting the Jikan strips my one appeared what eighteen months ago, so asking someone to take a punt on thirty two pages of small press comics when a quarter of it is consistently reprint somewhat lessen the values.

I do agree...perhaps printing a Jikan chronicles after they appear in the mag might be the best route. But I do know you have a backlog of Jikan scripts, both finished and in production, so getting them out there is cool for the writers in artists so that they don't have to wait so long to see their work in print. I personally enjoy the Jikan Chronicles, and quite like reading a comic that's ALL Jikan.

Or perhaps you might...not send out the Jikan Chronicles for review. I suppose it's a double-edge sword - don't send out the Chronicles for review and risk no one knowing about it or sending it out and risk having a review like this, in which the reviewer discourages folk from buying Paragon because of the reprint.

That said, I felt the last paragraph of this review was unnecessarily mean-spirited. The guy can dislike the product, sure, but he ought to respect the effort that went into it. You (and the writers and artists) don't do this for money, they do it out of love of comics. The effort put into each and every mag ought to at least afford a bit of constructive criticism. Methinks that fellow woke up on the wrong side of bed when he wrote this review.

Alski

Aw... I got a bad review  :(

Ah well - I still like it.  :D
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Alski on 25 January, 2012, 11:27:14 PM
Aw... I got a bad review  :(

Yours was the Western? Now I know who you are, Alan H., ha ha

Alski

"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

locustsofdeath!

Not read the mag yet - I've been waiting for my hardcopy to arrive. I hate reading comics on a screen.

El Chivo

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 25 January, 2012, 09:29:02 PM

Or perhaps you might...not send out the Jikan Chronicles for review.

Or don't send that guy one, he seems to be the only reviewer with a problem about it. I imagine people who've bought the collection would still be interested in the other stories, & those who don't wanna splash out for the collection can still follow Jikan's adventures in the mag (& get the collection after they're hooked  :)) . I,for one, want my collected edition, it looks more impressive!
Speaking of which... should have my stuff ready for part 2 this wkend , Davey, cheers for yr patience!

Chi