Main Menu

Firefly (and Serenity)...

Started by locustsofdeath!, 20 January, 2012, 08:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

so I'm the only one who thought of this?
DDT did a job on me

Proper Dave

Well, Joss obviously did.

You do realise he spent his formative years in the UK, and was exposed to all the really classic SF telly during that time, right?
Take care. Have fun. Bring your own banjo.
http://www.pseudopod.empty-spaces.net

ICONIC_TM

If someone can find a pic check out Dagg Dibrimi`s ship the Starchaser
(Starchaser: The Legend of Orin 1985 animated movie)?

Devons Daddy

this was an incredible series and movie. Firefly and Serenity.
I have heard its one of the top selling DVD and downloads in the fox library of releases.

It had it all didn't it. western,aliens,spaceships,great acting outstanding characters.
the spin off potential screamed Johnny Alpha bounty hunter.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

locustsofdeath!

Right, Firefly has me thinking I've missed out on other quality sci-fi shows - so I started watching Farscape tonight. So far, the pilot leaves me unimpressed (except for the glorious puppets) but then Firefly's pilot left me somewhat cold as well...

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 24 January, 2012, 07:18:42 AM
Right, Firefly has me thinking I've missed out on other quality sci-fi shows - so I started watching Farscape tonight. So far, the pilot leaves me unimpressed (except for the glorious puppets) but then Firefly's pilot left me somewhat cold as well...

I'm one of the few who love Farscape. It's just so much fun and never takes itself too seriously. What I loved most was the crew's initial animosity towards each other and how it gradually turns into friendship without ever losing the arguments, disagreements, betrayals and just plain stupid decisions. It's the complete mirror to Trek's "why can't we all just get along?" ethos. Glorious stuff!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: radiator on 20 January, 2012, 08:46:34 PM
It's a bit cheesy (mainly the music and vfx) but it's very charming

I thought the music was one of it's strongest features. That western style gee-tar picking (or is it a banjo?) really adds to the wild-frontier atmosphere, and after watching the whole series over one weekend, I couldn't stop singing that song for weeks!; I also liked the fact that it didn't require lots of SFX, the guns fire bullets rather than rays and it's all about the characters rather than the pyrotechnics. What SFX were needed (general space travel etc) were perfectly adequate.

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 24 January, 2012, 07:18:42 AM
I started watching Farscape tonight. So far, the pilot leaves me unimpressed (except for the glorious puppets)

Now that for me was the most off-putting aspect of it. I loved the show, the concept, the characters , the plot etc; but I can't take a SF show seriously when it contains bloody muppets! It also suffered the opposite problem to Firefly in that it went on too long. In the later seasons, the endless internal dialogues between John and Scorpius, and the return to Earth were pure shark-jumping IMHO.

But I did that like that hot grey girl whose name escapes me.

HdE

Quote from: Devons Daddy on 24 January, 2012, 03:15:11 AM
this was an incredible series and movie. Firefly and Serenity.
I have heard its one of the top selling DVD and downloads in the fox library of releases.

It had it all didn't it. western,aliens,spaceships,great acting outstanding characters.
the spin off potential screamed Johnny Alpha bounty hunter.

Nope. No aliens. One of the show's great virtues!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

von Boom

I dunno, the Reavers are pretty damn alien. Human, yes, but alien all the same. I like the fact that they never tried to fight them, just hid or ran.

JvB

Goaty

Quote from: HdE on 24 January, 2012, 08:26:39 PM
Nope. No aliens. One of the show's great virtues!

Well, Firefly introduced one of very dangerous aggressive and deadest species in all films/tv, Reavers

locustsofdeath!

So far I'm lukewarm towards FarScape. It doesn't have the organic feel that Firefly did, and the characters don't seem quite so "down to Earth". I have read that I need to give it half the first season, though.

I do wish I owned a couple of those puppets, though. The mischief I'd get into with them...

Tiplodocus

QuoteIt's the complete mirror to Trek's "why can't we all just get along?" ethos.

I've never figured out why, exactly, this is a rod to beat the show with.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 January, 2012, 09:44:38 PM
QuoteIt's the complete mirror to Trek's "why can't we all just get along?" ethos.

I've never figured out why, exactly, this is a rod to beat the show with.

I've seen that, yeah, but I've never really watched Star Trek much. I had a friend in college that was a huge fan of Trek, and he convinced me to watch a few episodes with him (I think it was Enterprise). I just couldn't get into it, but that may be because I had NO IDEA what was going on. I'm sure I might think differently if I started from the beginning but I just don't have the time to commit to it. But who knows...I am on this sci-fi tv kick right now...I've lined up Battlestar Galactica (both series - I used to watch the reruns of the original when I was a kid and have good memories of it) and Buck Rogers (ditto).

Colin Zeal

Firefly was great. I really need to get my boxset back from my mate and watch it again. One added bonus of the show was how blooming gorgeous all of the women were in it.

I enjoyed watching Farscape when it was shown on the BBC (1999 according to Wiki. I can't believe it was that long ago.) but stopped watching after a couple of series. A shame, as I remember it quite fondly.

Goaty

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 26 January, 2012, 02:24:01 PM
Firefly was great. I really need to get my boxset back from my mate and watch it again. One added bonus of the show was how blooming gorgeous all of the women were in it.

This?