Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: sheldipez on 15 October, 2013, 01:21:43 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 15 October, 2013, 01:05:18 PM
Quote from: sheldipez on 15 October, 2013, 12:43:07 PM
Wow, I see Extinction Parade #3 finally drops this week, feels like it was a long gap since #2. Anyone following this? <tumbleweed>

Nah.
Any good?

I'm warming to it more than the Extinction Parade prose story, I think that comics is a good fit for the story (the mass descruction is definetly warrants comics' "show than tell" - and the flying vampires look kinda cool) but like the other Avatar comic I've read (Uber) the art isn't really doing it for me. The double page spreads are stunning but the panel stuff is all a bit meh, stuck between not quite cartoony and not anywhere near realistic. I like Brooks so will ride this through to end. Feel like I'm being rough on Avatar stuff, some cracking writing talent over there but not seeing the art to match.

I'll admit I've never read anything by Brooks, so had no 'buzz', for lack of a better word, regarding picking this up.
A flick through of issue one in my LCS confirmed unpolished artwork, so I didn't bother.
Don't think I will either, but will still give Avatar a few shillings a month for Uber. For now.

Recrewt

Well, been off work for a week and managed to get through quite a bit (for me), this week I have bought/read:

Uber 2 and 3
As stated before, I am catching up after coming late to the party.  Sad to see Colin say that he is going to leave the series - for me, this has been a really interesting story that I am getting more and more into.  OK, nothing much happenned in #2 but #3 gave us some more background info on the Ubers and has opened up the potential of this story - I wonder if Kieron had watched Quatermass and the Pit around the time he was writing this.  ;)

Forever Evil 2
There was not really a great deal that happened in this either but I am really loving following Lex Luthor around.  He is a fantastic character and his devious mind seems to know no limit.  We are introduced to one of his schemes which also helps explain something that appeared on the cover for #1.  Great stuff, so far.

Kings Watch 1
The Phantom, Mandrake the Magician and Flash Gordon - together in a new comic mini-series.  People across the world are all suffering from the same nightmare and now there are strange lights in the sky.  If I'm honest - I was a little disappointed with this.  The story did not really hook me in and some of the artwork was below-par.  Not sure if I am going to continue with this.

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for the week of 10/23/13

2000 AD 1855 - Apparently Aquilla ends this week, that was brief. I wonder what will replace it to the end of the year.
MEGA MAN 30 - This actually came out digitally two weeks ago! The Curse Ra-Moon arc is ticking alone nicely. Action packed with sufficiently high stakes. Fun Fact that I just learned this is based on a Rockman game that never came out in the US.
SAMURAI JACK 1 - An internet acquaintance of mine, Jim Zub, is writing this, plus its the return of Samurai freaking Jack!
SONIC UNIVERSE 57 - Another book that actually came out early digitally, I've had it since last week. Something about this arc just feels off, I think its because Ian Flynn isn't writing it. Its not bad... its just not great.
TRANSFORMERS REGENERATION-ONE 95 - Six issues to go, and it looks like we're entering into the end game. I will miss this series a lot when its gone.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 47 - One-Punch Man has gone bi-monthly. And my week is made a little darker without it's presence. But Cross Manage returns for one-week only to finish off some character arc stuff. Its nice to have it back, though a little necessarily fan servicey then I like.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Nah, One-Punch Man has just taken a two week wrest due to Yusuke Murata being ill. It'll be back weekly soon when he can start addapting One's webcomic again. And where getting a one shot next week. :)

The Adventurer

I actually hadn't heard about a production delay until you mentioned it, flipping to the back of the issue it says we get a bonus chapter next week at least. So that's nice.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Bobblehead

Since Ive stopped buying most of the comics i used to get I didnt really have much to read this month.

Batman #23 + #24 : Scott Snyders run on this title has been great so far and im enjoying this re-telling of Batmans origin story,not as much as the previous 2 storylines but its early days yet so its just building slowly to something i imagine,and is Red Hood One going to turn out to be who i think it is? [spoiler]The fall into the vat in A.C.E. chemicals,the cryptic last words.[/spoiler] Any ideas? Looking forward to where this leads.

Death Sentence #1 : Written by Monty Nero with art by Mike Dowling. Picked this up as Ive heard positive things about it on this very forum and boy am I glad I did! Ive read a few comics that have a sort of alternate superhero style vibe and I thought this might be in the same vein,but I was wrong. The idea of a sort of super-power creating STD is an original one and the fact that the 3 characters that this story follows will die in 6 months (If not sooner judging by the last page) is an interesting concept. Im hoping it will lead to more stories following other people and how they cope after this arc is done. (Anyhow im getting ahead of myself there,ive no idea if this is ongoing or just a limited series). Wont say much about the story,go and buy it and read it yourself! Loved it though,will definatly get part 2.

Judge Dredd V. Mars Attacks #1 and #2: Great fun,some good action and some genuinely funny moments.Im hoping this will show people who are new to Dredd that it can be very tongue-in-cheek when it wants to be.

Anyway I apologise for the brief reviews but a)Im at work and b) I dont usually talk about what I read as I dont know many people who read comics. Its another reason I love this forum,like minded folk aplenty :D

Hawkmumbler

Very small haul once again, besides the tooth only got WSJ, which was decidedly bellow par this week. Wit both One-Punch Man and Seraph of the End absent the page count and over all quality (most significantly in the art department) has dropped across the fold. Bleach, One Piece, World Trigger and Toriko all continue to be entertaining and nicely drawn, while Nisokoi and YuGuiOh all join my "read at a glance" group. Naruto continues to exist and we have a finale one shot for Cross Manage! Yay! This series has really challenged how i view sports comics. From them ALL being crap, only MOST are crap. :lol:

Colin YNWA

So much good stuff this visit, really a host of beauts. Only really marred by a couple of artistic shockers. Both X-Men Legacy 18 and The Rocketeer + The Spirit 2 look terrible, which lets down a pair of fine stories. The former is just plan ugly, the later I think I see what its trying, it seems to be going for a real golden age vibe, but for a book that has one of Will Eisner's great creations in it its layout are so astonishinly flat and uninspiring as to really detract.

Elsewhere we're fine... well almost. I really enjoyed Pretty Deadly 1 but Emma Rios seemed to be trying a little too hard with her page design and layout and at times it tripped the book up because of it. A real case of less would have been more here I think. Still really did enjoy it and this one bods well.

The Massive 16, Wonder Woman 24 and Animal Man 24 are all great examples of series I enjoy. The Massive 16 seems to pull back a little from the intrigue of last month, while keeping it firmly dangling there.

We then have three books that all deserve to be called book of the month, or haul at least. Jonah Hex 24 wonderfully justifies the change in direction that I'd dreaded and which started so badly, a dense beaut that so many other American writers could learn from. I went back to count the pages we'd got as this is now a $3.99 book, but felt like I was still getting my full 28 pages, it wasn't it was only 22. If the 22 stay this good the extra buck will be more than worth it for the bang. Six Gun Gorilla 5 continues to be perfect comics, that and Brass Sun in one day I'm spoiled. Even more so  by the fact that Nowhere Men is back and with some explosion as well. It all kicks off, bringing together whats gone before and setting up whats to come. Wonderful.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 October, 2013, 09:41:57 PM
Animal Man 24

Since you're still reading it, Colin, a quick question: Since 'Rotworld' ended, has there been a single appearance from Swamp Thing, Abby, Arcane, or anyone intimately linked with the Swamp Thing comic (not including Buddy Baker and his family, obviously)? And by "appearance" I mean even a single panel, a flashback, or even a visit to a location linked to the Swamp Thing. I compulsively buy any and all Swampy appearances, and these would count- but I gave up Animal Man once Rotworld stopped. Oh, Matt Cable doesn't count- if he did, I'd have to buy Sandman- and I can't bring myself to do that. Thanks in advance!

SBT

Colin YNWA

I can't think of any but I'll wipe um out later and see if there are any flashback appearances that I've forgotten.

SmallBlueThing

That'd be scrotnig! Florid grandad, as my phone would have it, meaning florix grabundae!

SBT

sheldipez

Just read Uber 0 through 5. Really enjoyed that in a one-er. Art is still rough round the edges (and some very heavy inking) but deffo better when judged as a whole arc and not just first few issues.

Colin YNWA

Yeah just flicked through and on a visual check you're in the clear. There is a fleeting reference to The Green in this months issue (verbal not visual) but not Swampie himself.

That said I feel honour bound to pimp them and say you really should pick them up for their own sake, they are fantastic!

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 27 October, 2013, 04:47:24 PM
Yeah just flicked through and on a visual check you're in the clear. There is a fleeting reference to The Green in this months issue (verbal not visual) but not Swampie himself.

That said I feel honour bound to pimp them and say you really should pick them up for their own sake, they are fantastic!

That's great, Colin- thanks for that. I'm afraid I found Animal Man hard enough going when the crossover was in play, I'm not sure I'd want to put myself through it again- but I appreciate the enthusiasm!

SBT

Hawkmumbler

Cla$$War #6- Aaaaaaand thats a wrap. Filled with juicy quality. This has been an amazing series and frankly I want senior Williams to get onto that much belated second series as the cliffhanger just begs for it.

Samurai Jack #1- Much obliged to Mr.T.Adventurer for alerting me of this. Samurai Jack was a favourite of mine when Cartoon Network actualy had more than one decent show on. Indeed, I've started to rewatch the series this week and it's stood the teste if time very well.
In this series Jack will be hunting down the key to time The Threads of Time in yet another attempt to return to his time zone. Essential reading for me and it played out like an episode of the series. Utterly wonderful. :D

WSJ #48- Seraph of the End continues to be a meh series for me. I like it's art a lot, but the story is just so samey. Also the production schedule looks set to be set off again next week. Last week there was no SotE or One-Punch Man. This week we have a one-shot OPM, but One Piece is off. Next week theres another OPM one-shot (i'm not complaining about that at least!) and SotE is off again! Even though there was a schedule for it to run for 5 weeks solid! Whats going on!? :-\
That being said, this weeks Bleach really made me happy. Shinji Hirako came back. He's probably my favourite character in the entire series.