Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for the week of 11/06/13

2000AD 1857 - Current line-up is okay, but not fantastic. The new year should be bringing some great new strips to the table. Can't wait!
CATALYST COMICS 5 - I'm not sure if I love this series, or hate it. Its full of big ideas, but its a tad obtuse in the way it goes about presenting itself. I honestly can't tell if super-heroes are publicly known, or not. And I honestly can't tell what's going on with the Agents of Change. I like its format a lot though (1 lead story, 2 back-ups. All tied together. And every three issues, one of the back-ups becomes the lead story. And the lead becomes a back-up. Very clever.)
EAST OF WEST 7 - This series might be getting bogged down a little bit in its politics. 7 issues in and while Death has had some development, his companions have sorely lacked any. To the point where I can't recall their names. Which sucks, because visually they are quite interesting. But they don't do much except be cryptic.
FAIREST 21 - Bill Willingham recently announced that Fables will end with issue 150, sometime in 2015. This is quite sad to hear and I've always found Fables to be a stable and solid title. It always sucks to see a long running series come to an end. But at least its by the creator's own hand. Fairest will also end around the same time. So I suppose I will continue to follow it to its ending.
THE STAR WARS 3 - Still a fascinating look at 'what could have been'. Better then the Prequels.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 49 - Current line-up is solid. With only Naruto and Nisekoi complete duds to me. Blue Exorcist seems to be getting exciting again.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

I, Cosh

Quote from: Link Prime on 30 October, 2013, 11:49:41 AM
And of course;

Sandman Overture 1 (the preview art of which has made my toenails ingrown)
Had a flick through this in the shop the other day and, even by Williams' standards, the art was gorgeous. Not knowing when I'll be near a comic shop and the fact it's already on a bi-monthly schedule means I'll wait for the collection.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

My lack of interest in Sandman Overture baffles me. I mean its sure to look glorious and when I was first reading comics back in the day I loved Sandman. Since returning to comics though, what ten years ago now, I've had no interest in getting the stories again... and I'm not sure why, Sandman just no longer holds any interest for me and perversely that's the only reason I can think of to look at them again, to try to work out my apathy. Am I just being silly not giving them another try?

Recrewt

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 November, 2013, 06:39:05 AM
My lack of interest in Sandman Overture baffles me. I mean its sure to look glorious and when I was first reading comics back in the day I loved Sandman. Since returning to comics though, what ten years ago now, I've had no interest in getting the stories again... and I'm not sure why, Sandman just no longer holds any interest for me and perversely that's the only reason I can think of to look at them again, to try to work out my apathy. Am I just being silly not giving them another try?

Well, it's definitely true that after you start getting a few years under your belt you realise that you don't always like the same things for all your life.  Books/films/music that you once loved can fall out of favour.  However, its also true that there are things that you think you will not like that once you pick up and start reading, you really enjoy.  Perhaps you could get something from the library or a cheap ebay purchase to test the waters?

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 November, 2013, 06:39:05 AM

I know others have mentioned on other threads that they found Sandman disappointing after going back to it after several years, but I'm the opposite.

It's continually on my reading list, and I nearly always get something out of each re-read.
I adored the series as a pre-teen / teenager, and still do now.
I cant quite put my finger on it, but Gaiman does have a certain magical touch as a storyteller (at least in regard to his novels and the Sandman series- his Marvel work was sorely lacking I thought).

I read the first issue of Sandman Overture on Sunday night; I loved it. The art was (of course) first rate, but the story didn't miss a beat either. Perfect bedtime reading (no pun intended).
One of my favorite single comics of 2013, no bullshit.

Hawkmumbler

Thought Bubble Anthology 2012 - Had no idea this was up on comixology, finaly get to read the Strontium Dog / Elephantmen crossover. Ironicly that was simply a nice extra, as there are some cracking independent comics here. Well worth the wait and can't wait for the Dredd / Flask crossover on the 23rd.

Hetalia Axis Powers #4 - America once again show's his vanity (England: "Get a world map you egotistical scrote!") and Italy accidently bombs Germany.....hijinks ensue. Fluff of the highest degree and guarantied to send any other than the highest weebo otaku running to a cold shower.

Weekly Shonen Jump #49 - One-Punch Man! One-Punch Man! Oh how I love thee! Another one-shot that wont contribute to the over hanging story arc of the S-Class heroes and villeins but it was certainly fun. I really can't reccomend this series enough, it's easily the best comic i've read all year.

This week seem's to be when most of my titles will drop. Mars Attacks Judge Dredd, Rocket Girl, All Crime Comics and Grindhouse. A little annoying how my comics act like buses but I can't really afford to take on any more ongoing titles.

IronGraham

Weekly Shoinen Jump was my favorite so far high lights are one punch man and oddly naruto.
We're werewolves not swearwolves

The Adventurer

Me and Naruto just do not get along. I've been reading since January, and with the other long running strips in WSJ; Toriko, One Piece, and even Bleach, I've successfully manged to figure out who the main players are, what the general gist of the story is and what the current arc is about.

But with Naruto we've been in this ongoing fight scene for pretty much 11 months. And I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT EVERYONE'S MOTIVATION IS. There was a month that involved a flashback to a couple of characters history, and I almost got invested in that story, but then it ended and the confusion started again. As it is, I've enjoyed Masashi Kishimoto's one-shots that have appeared in WSJ this year a LOT more. So I know the guy is capable of telling a good story. But I just can't find something to grab on to in Naruto.

Hawkmumbler

I get the feeling Kishimoto gave up on Naruto looooong ago but the editors wouldn't let it die until sales started to drop. It's a sad old industry sometimes. Still, I'm quite partial to the art on display when it's not 90% speed lines.

IronGraham

TA may I recommend a part of Naruto that is great?
We're werewolves not swearwolves

The Adventurer

Eh. Its unlikely I would take a stab at it any time soon. At the moment I use all the digital Viz Media sales that come around to try and catch up on Toriko and One-Piece. and I don't usually make a habit of paying full price on digital trades.

So... it'd be a low priority no matter how good you'd say it is. Thanks for trying though!

Hawkmumbler

Well this weeks Attack on Titan was interesting. My predictions from way back in volume two came true. [spoiler]Titans are humans. Or at least some humans are turned into Titans.[/spoiler]

On a more comedic note, Isayama gave Erwin some bristles for Movember. :lol:

Davek

This weeks Fatale is worth a mention; some very nice flashback/dream pages. Seems like we are getting to a point where more is revealed about the main character as well. Do feel the story has dragged a little longer than needed still, be nice to wrap it up in the next book.

Hawkmumbler

Weekly digital pulls 10/11/13

2000AD prog 1857
: As per really. Nice conclusion to a decent three part Dredd story, the Thriller continues in fine form (nice to have Mr. Redondo back), Flesh continues to be barely 'meh' worthy, and Brass Sun is the dogs balls. And at last, Damnation Station is both engaging and entertaining! What a cracking episode!

Attack on Titan chapter 51: Trying out this Crunchyroll/ Kodansha monthly subscription deal. £4 a month for new chapter of AoT, Fairy Tail, Space Brothers and others. I prefer this to scanlations because i'm actually contributing to the market, sadly thought the publishers wont allow images to be saved to devices, thus why the image bellow is a scanlation. This months chapter os AoT was a lot slower than previous. Our heroes escaped (at a price. Ymer, Bertholt and Reiner where left behind seemingly to be devoured by Titans), and are rescued by the Garrison. Meanwhile, Erwin, Levi, Hanji, Connie, and Pixis make a shocking discovery.....

Sword and Sorcery #1: new title from DC. A rebooted Amethyst and a post apocalyptic retelling of Beowulf. Could be interesting. Great art on both and solid story telling. Might be one for a trade though.....

Fairy Tail Chapter 359: Fairy Tail declare war on Tartarus while Natsu and Lucy are assigned to guard a nobel in case of an ambush.  Yet more silliness and fan service from an over all fun series.

Grindhouse #2 (Bee Vixens from Mars part 2): I have rarely experienced such a rapid drop in quality in a comic. Where as last months issue was a fun take on the classic drive in theatre trope of the 50's, this issue failed to capture the same vibes and just felt like an awful dross. I'll have to check out the preview before buying the next issue. Such a shame.

Weekly Shonen Jump #50: Toriko is stupid as hell but I'm really enjoying it for some reason. Like One Piece before it this one has taken some time to grow on me, but now it has i'm really glad to call myself a fan. Some whacky ideas in this crack child.

The Adventurer

You read on an iPad, yes Hawk? If so you can take a screen grab of whatever you're reading by pushing the power button while holding the home button. It will appear in your Photos app.

Then you can export it to your PC for editing via Dropbox or just connect the iPad directly to you PC.