Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Thanks TA. Yes, I use an Ipad. I found it to be the perfect fit for reading comics on.

The Adventurer

Also, in your post you claimed to be posting an image from AoT. But it never appeared. Did you forget to link it?

EDIT: Also, Hawk, have you ever read any of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? I've started too (sadly with scanlations, as the English editions are a) getting kind of rare, b) not available digitally, and c) kind of weird in what they reprint)

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Oops. Missed it out. Never mind, I assume anyone interested will find it easy enough. It was eesentialy just the first page with the title.

I have JBA on my to read list.mi'll read the first few chapters online then buy the volume if it takes my fancy. It would appear it's almost insanely long though at 109 volumes. :o

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 11/13/13

2000AD 1858 - I've been enjoying the hell out of Brass Sun over the last couple of weeks. Plot! Also, I'm still finding Damnation Station fairly intriquing. Even if I can barely remember any of the cast except for the lead guy. Who's name I don't remember. lol
ASTRO CITY 6 - Fantastic series. Love that its been coming out consistently.
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 5 - Pretty good. Flawed in many respects. But okay.
MANHATTAN PROJECTS 16 - Sometimes while I wait for the next issue I feel this series is losing my interest. But then I read the actual issue, and I feel like the next issue can't come fast enough.
MARS ATTACKS JUDGE DREDD 3 - Catching up on Dredd Year One first. I was holding back because IDW starting dropping their digital prices to 2.99 instead of 1.99. Annoying. But now they're back to dropping down to 1.99. Yay.
SHAOLIN COWBOY 2 - I hadn't read any prior Shaolin Cowboy comics, but I really liked the first issue of this series.
STAR WARS 11 - Its kind of sad that this is the best Space Opera comic on the stands right now.
THE WALKING DEAD 116 - A month behind here. Catching up soon I hope.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 50 - Here's the thing about World Trigger, I want to like it. I do. But it could be a lot better. It just lacks any sort of tension. Or stakes. I like its characters, and its humor*. But I rarely get the impression that this neighboring universe is a legitimate threat to the safety of the world.

Bit of a week. I'm also behind on most of all of last week's. Money's tight, but I'm looking forward to catching up next week.

* there's no way this was unintentional...

"What?! 8000?!"

Hawkmumbler

If this is the size of your haul when money is tight then you should give me your wallet. I'm constanly looking at new titles I want to read (Sandman Overture, Bravest Warriors, Manhattan Projects) and saying "soon i'll have the money to keep up with you guys. At least now i've dropped Grindhouse as soon as volume 3 of Saga is released I can be on an even platform with that modern classic.

Link Prime

Last week I had precisely zero, this week it's picked up considerably;

Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland 1 (Joe Hill = blind purchase).
X-Men Gold 1 (Maybe I'll enjoy my first X-Men comic in 5 years? Maybe not. Won't enjoy that 6 quid price tag, that's for sure).
Batman 25 (Always a decent read).
Mars Attacks Judge Dredd 3 (Loving it. And I have some original art from this issue too).
Savage Wolverine 11 (I was a little bit disappointed by this arc by Jock- great art of course, but the story is a little bit too decompressed & flat. Am interested enough to read the conclusion, so not all bad I guess).
Superior Spider-Man 21 (My new 'comfort' read, every two weeks. I just can't drop it).

IronGraham

World Trigger I'm reading more as sport's manga rather then an sci-fi invasion story at the moment with the tournament Serepth of the end and **** off tho
We're werewolves not swearwolves

The Adventurer

Somehow I missed that Rocket Girl 2 comes out this week too. Liked issue 1 well enough, though its pacing seemed a tad off.

Hawkmumbler

2000AD prog 1858 - A new world in Brass Sun. One that has gone one step further than the last and is now a total waste land. The speed of this series is quiet necessarily but I really don't mind. It feels very natural and 'home grown'. It takes it's time to get us invested and when the shit hits the fan it's usually in a big way.

Mars Attacks Judge Dredd #3 - The Martians invade MC1!!! What more do you want me to say, it's just so freaking fun!

Rocket Girl #2 - I think the pacing of this series will better fit a trade. It's certainly a fun series and i'm enjoying it a lot, but it just kinda ebbs and flows. Might drop it and wait for the TPB.

Weekly Shonen Jump #51 - WTF is up with Pica's design? He looks like something out of a gonzo movie! Really enjoying One Piece at the moment, both in flash back in in present. Ussops, Franky's and Robins reactions to the soldiers announcement of a suicide attack had me in stitches.

Colin YNWA

Busy, busy busy, so much so I've only just read my stash from the weekend. Shame as its been really good.

There's already talk of Rocket Girl 2 so I'll start there. Its a good series, I'm enjoying it, its fun and probably a keeper but not 100% yet. For me its biggest problem is not so much the pacing but the switching from scenario to scenario breaks the momentum but a bit and I think that will work better in trade.

In other second issues Hinterkind 2 is really working for me, it dallys with a well trodden road and hasn't a regular slot in the bag but its not far off. Three 2 is just fantastic, slightly mediocre art aside, action and intrigue, history lesson and thrill ride all nicely packaged in one neat little bundle.

Elsewhere there's just a lot of great comics really, I think the one exception is Mars Attacks vs Dredd 3, I'm just not getting into it. Its fine, just not great. Fatale 18, East of West 7, X-Men Legacy 19, FBP 5 and FF 13 are all on fine, fine form and this type of consistancy in my haul is whats making my comic reading such a pleasure at the moment. The addition of J Bone to Rocketeer and Spirit 3 gets that book back on track, though have to say we're not up to Waid's normal standard here, which is such a shame given what he's got to play with. Batman 25 is a good comic but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm running out of steam with Snyder's run... or is his run just treading water?

We have a couple of conclusions this month Sex 8 sees the first arc finish and this book continues to defy its sensationalist trappings by being one of the best character books out there, just with lots of penis and breast action thrown in. Resident Alien 3 is at quite the opposite end of the spectrum. Its world is so steady, its mysteries so mundane compared to some of the meladrama we have in a lot of the comics I read. For that they are all the more compelling and the beautifully realised character are more than enough to make this a sensational read... EXCEPT they then throw in a magnificent ending that has me hankering even more for the next series. An understated gem this one.

Pick of the bunch goes to The Victories 6 though, when your haul is this good its the little things that make a comic stand out on top and like much of what I've read this book has superb art, great story with thrills and spills, character and collision BUT this is the only one with a character that's a cat in a box dream of being a man. Its stuff like that that makes you remember a comics and pushes it ahead of the herd, however glorious that herd is.

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 11/20/13

2000AD 1858 - Usually this time of the year I'm getting antsy for the year end prog. But the current line up is pretty solid and will be sad to see it go.
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: STARBUCK 1 - Saw a preview of the first issue, and it had a young Adama and Tigh flying Vipers fighting Cylons over the skies of Caprica. RADICAL.
FABLES 135 - Really curious how the previous issue is going to impact things in the short terms. Really digging Rose Red's plot line.
FAIREST IN ALL THE LAND GN - I'll probably wait a bit on this one, just for cost reasons. But I do like Fables anthologies.
MEGA MAN 31 - This actually came out digitally two weeks ago, Archie's digital release schedule is a bit screwy. Loving me some Robot Master on Robot Master battles.
SAMURAI JACK 2 - First issue was great. Just like the show.
SAVAGE DRAGON 192 - Great changes are afoot in SD, as the title leaves one era behind to forge a while new one. Can not wait to see where this title is in year.
VINLAND SAGA VOL 1 - This actually came out last week, but I just found out it released digitally on Kindle. Its created by the same guy who did Planetes and I hear it should appeal to Berserk fans looking for brutal medieval fantasy. At 400+ pages at 11 bucks its a pretty good value too.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 51 - Spent way to long trying to think of something to say I haven't already about this title. Its pretty good!

Hawkmumbler

Yeah. I have the hard back of Vinland Saga sitting on my desk now. It's a handsome beast and i'm really looking forward to reading it. Kodansha have really gone jp in the world recently and there paper stock is almost Dark Horse quality.

The Adventurer

Digital Pulls for 11-27-13

2000AD 1861 - Its unfortunate that Damnation Station has only gotten really interesting in its last month.
BLACK SCIENCE 1 - Rick Remender is a writer that historically I've had trouble getting into in the past. I tried Fear Agent, but it didn't click. I'm hoping this time will be better?
SAGA 16 - On man, The Will can NOT catch a break, can he?
SONIC UNIVERSE 58 - Came out last week, this arc was a little weak. It had its moments, but its not quite been up to as good as the main title's been lately.
TRANSFORMERS: REGENERATION-ONE 96 - Five more issues, anything can happen.
THE WALKING DEAD 117 - I'm a bit behind on this one. Money crunch and all that. Just don't find it a priority book any more.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 52 - Shortest issue in a while, and really feeling it. I really wish World Trigger would move on from all this ranking stuff. Its wearing pretty thin.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 27 November, 2013, 11:18:54 AM

BLACK SCIENCE 1 - Rick Remender is a writer that historically I've had trouble getting into in the past. I tried Fear Agent, but it didn't click. I'm hoping this time will be better?

I'm gonna try this as my pull-list has had two recent causalities ('Three' & 'Uber').
Sorry Kieron choke

Hawkmumbler

2000AD prog 1861 - The line up is pretty smashing atm. Really enjoying everything with on,y Flesh starting to show signs of crapness again.

Samurai Jack #2 - Fun, fight hearted, fluff. With greta action scenes and distinct art. It's a winner.

WSJ 52 - Nisokoi hit's 100. Rather hoped it would end, but the last few chapters have actually been quite readable. Naruto was off this week, so thats another plus I guess. Really want One Punch-Man ti return to the ongoing story arc though, as nice as the filler chapter have been. And how good is Kubo's art atm!?