Main Menu

Links to film reviews and reaction posts

Started by a chosen rider, 12 July, 2012, 11:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 14 July, 2012, 12:23:47 AM
Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 12 July, 2012, 11:34:52 PM
Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 12 July, 2012, 11:30:45 PM
Funny how Empire give the Raid 5 stars, and Dredd 3, even though he is saying they are too similar?

Chris Hewitt is famous for being the man who once gave Attack of the Clones 5 stars.

QuoteI suppose that all depends on whether different people reviewd AOTC.   

Its smart to reserve judgement, but This particular reviewer has made mistakes in the past.  The constant comparisons to the Raid are quite blind-sighted being that he  is aware all the similarities are coincidental. Its all down to personal taste.

Other than that it is a positive review just like most them are so far.

Actually.....seing as this started filming before the Raid....maybe he should be saying the Raid is similar to Dredd?     Especially as the script was leaked a year or two back.

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: radiator on 12 July, 2012, 02:17:46 PM
And is Blade Runner a particularly clever film anyway? I always just thought it was a bit pompous and arty but ultimately quite shallow.

Nothing shallow about it in my book. Greatest sci-fi film ever made. In my book.

But I digress, Dredd: looking epic!

blackmocco

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 14 July, 2012, 12:06:35 AM
I still have reservations about Dredd but at least it's getting mostly excellent reviews so far.

I fixed that for you.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

a chosen rider

Four reviews up on Rotten Tomatoes so far, all positive.  Anybody know how many they require before they give a film an overall score?

I'm sure it will be news to Carlos Ezquerra that he wrote the movie, though.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: CraveNoir on 14 July, 2012, 02:41:59 PM

"Dredd" is a brutal film that has earned its R rating. Within the first 30 minutes alone, Dredd dispatches enough baddies to fill the roster of a professional baseball team. During the course of the story, throats are crushed, people are skinned alive, multiple heads are blown up and there is no shortage of creeps falling 200-stories to solid concrete. One of those falls, in particular, near the end of the movie is responsible for one of the most breathtakingly gorgeous scenes of violence I've ever witnessed and is sure to be a talking point for everyone who sees the film"

blackmocco

Quote from: a chosen rider on 14 July, 2012, 02:18:03 PM
Four reviews up on Rotten Tomatoes so far, all positive.  Anybody know how many they require before they give a film an overall score?

That won't happen until closer to the movie's release date.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Fisticuffs

Just a warning that the CBR review above is a little spoilery, a couple of scenes are described in more detail than strictly called for.

CYCLOPZ

CYCLOPZ

dweezil2

Quote from: CraveNoir on 12 July, 2012, 10:55:56 PM
Reveals 96 minutes rutime.

At a time when most comicbook adaptations try to be all things to all people, "Dredd" makes the radical choice of playing to the base. Dredd-heads disappointed by the creative liberties and concessions to conventionality made by the Stallone version will find little reason to quibble with the determined and unapologetic approach to the one-man judge, jury and executioner here...

The film's unforgiving version of Dredd is something of a cross between Christian Bale's Batman and Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name. He's a badass of few words and a gravelly voice. While Urban isn't permitted to reveal much humanity behind the man (we never even get a peek at Dredd's eyes beneath his uniform helmet, let alone his soul), he does a fine job embodying the more mythic qualities of Dredd as an upright law enforcer no lowlife would want to confront...

Anthony Dod Mantle's cinematography, which eschews the jittery handheld imagery of Travis' earlier films for more careful compositions...

That Variety review must be especially gratifying for the filmmakers, considering how generally difficult they are to please!  :D
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

blackmocco

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Beaky Smoochies

"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Frank

Quote from: Durendal on 15 July, 2012, 12:45:25 AM
Prepare your minds for this retarded shit
http://www.barrowjournal.com/archives/6977-BROWN-Seriously-Hollywood.html

The article admits "they have completely changed the storyline ... and use(d) different characters".

So Dredd (2012) is a remake of Judge Dredd (1995) in the same way that The Big Sleep (1946) is a remake of Farewell My Lovely (1944)- since it tells a completely different story and uses completely different characters, except for the male lead.