Main Menu

An American hello

Started by cptjustice, 10 September, 2012, 10:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cptjustice

Hello from one of those somewhat rarified American fans.

Long, long ago, while in Ireland visiting my relatives on my father's side, we were in a news agent's (I think that's what they're called) and I was looking for comic books.  Puzzled by the lack of Marvel comics, I did pick up this strange thing called 2000 AD.  I believe it was a special rather than a regular issue.  The story that struck me the most was in stark black and white, which I was quite unaccustomed to, starring this scary as hell, bad ass guy wearing a helmet, a scowl and big badge with the name Dredd.

While progs were extremely difficult to come by, I did discover the Eagle reprints were ongoing in the US at the time and my local comic shop carried them.  I dived right into the deep end: Block Mania and the Apocalypse War.  To this day, no story line in any comic from anyone has ever seared itself into my brain the way that one did; its closest competition is the Dark Phoenix saga in the X-Men.

Despite the rarity of 2000 AD related stuff after the end of the American re-prints, the collected stuff has kept at least a sketchy idea of what has been going on over the years.  When a subscription for Android devices is possible, I'll be finally able to keep up in real time.  I look forward to it.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Awesome! Great to know ol Stoney Face has an American audience which I am sure isn't limited to the 95 film.

And I agree, the Apocalypse War so far for me is my favourite Dredd epic. What I absolutely loved about that story is it never seemed to pull any strings with a good-guy/bad-guy narrative, just cold brutal warfare. Can't imagine what readers thought of this during the hight of the cold war.

But I digress, welcome!

SmallBlueThing

Yep, every time the chin-bearded, baldy-headed grown-up me answers 'the pit' or 'tour of duty' to the question "what's your favourite dredd epic?", i am suddenly forcibly reminded of laying on my mate's bedroom floor, eating cheesy wotsits and drinking happy shopper coke, reading 'the apocalypse war' in weekly parts, then going downstairs to play mean arena street football in his dining room- subbuteo goals next to table legs at each end of the table, ping pong bats whacking the ball through the forest of table and chair legs to score points. It doesnt demean anything that came later to say that 'the apocalypse war' may well be the best of 2000AD, and therefore a highpoint of british comics full stop.

And welcome!

SBT

cptjustice

Brutal is certainly an appropriate word!  Nukes tearing blocks apart and a death toll in the hundreds of millions caused no little eye popping.  That's just something that never happened in anything I had ever seen.  The threat of it, sure, but it never actually occurred.  Even movies didn't do that; they might have a post-apocalyptic story, but the apocalypse was never THE story.  Once nukes started flying, all bets were off and any conclusion seemed possible.

Many a great story has come along in the mean time, of course.  But for jaw dropping, "Oh.  My.  God." moments, the Apocalypse War is hard to beat.

Dandontdare

Greetings dude. There's plenty of great trades to catch up on too - I can recommend Origins as a treat for returning readers.

vzzbux

Welcome.
For me the Apocalypse war has to be my fave. Also for eye popping and jaw dropping the last epic is one for the books.
At least in the Dreddverse these high body counts stay high and are not rebooted in any shape or form.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Prodigal

Quote from: cptjustice on 10 September, 2012, 10:24:07 PM
Hello from one of those somewhat rarified American fans.

Long, long ago, while in Ireland visiting my relatives on my father's side, we were in a news agent's (I think that's what they're called) and I was looking for comic books.  Puzzled by the lack of Marvel comics, I did pick up this strange thing called 2000 AD.  I believe it was a special rather than a regular issue.  The story that struck me the most was in stark black and white, which I was quite unaccustomed to, starring this scary as hell, bad ass guy wearing a helmet, a scowl and big badge with the name Dredd.

While progs were extremely difficult to come by, I did discover the Eagle reprints were ongoing in the US at the time and my local comic shop carried them.  I dived right into the deep end: Block Mania and the Apocalypse War.  To this day, no story line in any comic from anyone has ever seared itself into my brain the way that one did; its closest competition is the Dark Phoenix saga in the X-Men.

Despite the rarity of 2000 AD related stuff after the end of the American re-prints, the collected stuff has kept at least a sketchy idea of what has been going on over the years.  When a subscription for Android devices is possible, I'll be finally able to keep up in real time.  I look forward to it.

Hi and welcome from an Irishman with a big American family.

PsychoGoatee

Welcome aboard! Dredd is indeed beloved around the world.

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard. It will indeed be a great day when you can get hold of the Prog in whatever device you want. If Diamond can't get the good stuff across the Atlantic Tharg will find another way. Have fun

cptjustice

I did read Origins!  When that popped up on Amazon's recommended, I had to buy that.  Last days of the U.S. and the beginning of the MC-1 Judicial system?  Oh, yes yes yes!

Regarding Days of Chaos, I've got a very spotty idea of what's happened.  Dark days, indeed.  I wonder how long it will be before the world's other cities start calling it Mini-City One.

I know the mighty one has his droids working on something for Android, so I shall be patient.

w3bz

Spikes

Now then, cptjustice and welcome!  :wave:

Though the Cursed Earth is the one for me, the Apocalypse War is THE best all-round Dredd epic by a mile.
(Ive noticed a fair bit of the original art, for the Apocalypse War, has ended up in stateside collections, so those Eagle reprints, and that story in particular, must have made quite an impact on the other side of the pond).

betel_uk

Greetings!  :D
I really remember reading the Block Mania / Apocalypse War stories when they came out... that image of the tech-guy being asked what the damage was after the East Megs caused that tidal wave to hit the Black Atlantic wall turning round and saying... "Total"

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 10 September, 2012, 11:18:46 PM
...forcibly reminded of laying on my mate's bedroom floor, eating cheesy wotsits and drinking happy shopper coke, reading 'the apocalypse war' in weekly parts, then going downstairs to play mean arena street football in his dining room...

Sigh. I really, really wish I had some childhood memories of 2k.
@jamesfeistdraws

cptjustice

My most singular memory from then was Judge Dredd No. 23.  Since the Eagle line was higher priced, they were already in a comic bag with a backing board.  Though I snapped it up as soon as I saw it on the new release wall, I couldn't read it until I got home.  The Bolland cover was KILLING ME!

http://www.comicvine.com/judge-dredd-judge-dredd-23/37-25906/

My poor little brain was frying itself trying to figure out what was going to happen.  Dredd defects to East Meg One?  No!  No!  He could never defect to those evil bastards!