Main Menu

Dredd - Total war (and/or other suggestions)

Started by Apestrife, 26 September, 2012, 08:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Hi.

What stories are included in the Total war book?

Is it Terror and Total war? Caught in the Act too?

I got case files 2 (Cursed earth, Day the law died) ,5 (Death lives, Bloc mania and Apocalypse war) 14 (Necropolis), the pit, America, Origins, Tour of duty 1-2, and I was thinking Total War could fit into that, especialy with Day of Chaos comming next year (haven't read any of it, but looks great!)

And other suggestion on books that would fit into my collection?

I'v been thinking of the case files with Oz + Surfs up (even if I'm not fan of the teleportation bits and Garth not letting Chopper rest.)

The Adventurer

Yeah, those 3 stories. Its a great trade.

Personally it and Brothers of the Blood are essential reading in terms of 'important modern Dredd' IMO

Also, Complete PJ Maybe + The Henry Flint Collection (for one really REALLY essential PJ Maybe story that basicly leads into the events of Tour of Duty. The rest of it is pretty good too)

Hell, throw in Mandroid and Chief Judge's Man while you're at it. But they aren't 'essential'.

Complete America (except Cadet)
The Pit
Brothers of the Blood
The Complete PJ Maybe
Total War
Cadet (in, Complete America)
Origins
The Gingerbread Man (in, The Henry Flint Collection)
Tour of Duty

would be my essential reading order advice.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

SmallBlueThing

I am insanely jealous of you for getting to read everything you mentioned for (presumably) the first time. With the exception of The Day The Law Died, which ive never liked at all, it's all just magnificent and happily counted among the best comics- dredd, british, or otherwise- that ive ever read. Especially The Pit, which to this day is my favourite Dredd. Have fun!

SBT

Apestrife

Quote from: The Adventurer on 26 September, 2012, 08:31:43 AM
Yeah, those 3 stories. Its a great trade.

Personally it and Brothers of the Blood are essential reading in terms of 'important modern Dredd' IMO

Also, Complete PJ Maybe + The Henry Flint Collection (for one really REALLY essential PJ Maybe story that basicly leads into the events of Tour of Duty. The rest of it is pretty good too)

Hell, throw in Mandroid and Chief Judge's Man while you're at it. But they aren't 'essential'.

Complete America (except Cadet)
The Pit
Brothers of the Blood
The Complete PJ Maybe
Total War
Cadet (in, Complete America)
Origins
The Gingerbread Man (in, The Henry Flint Collection)
Tour of Duty

would be my essential reading order advice.

Thanks!

Seems like a no brainer then, buying it. I love the stories surrounding America Beeny. And total war seem to expand and complement the total war bits about her story nicely.

About brothers of the blood. Is that somewhat covered in Total war? I'v seen some pages of it, and I know about Nimrod.

Does for example Vienna (I'v read both the first story with her, and some of the later ones) bring it up that Dredd kills alot of his "brothers" (Kraken and Rico) when he does Nimrod in? If that's the case, I'm quite satisfied, I like some stuff to feel mystic. I'v read Dredd killing Rico, and Origins does a good job detailing the clone aspect to his character, being born to do what it is that he do.

I don't for example feel a need to read Oz to read necropolis, the stuff about the Judda and other clones get's covered for me fine in small doses :)

I'll put some thoughts into it PJ. I'v read some of his tails, but his background is quite spilled out in ToD right? At least what he's been up to? A bit Judge Caligula in Day the law died, just showing up and then explained bits by bits along the way?

Apestrife

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 26 September, 2012, 08:35:43 AM
I am insanely jealous of you for getting to read everything you mentioned for (presumably) the first time. With the exception of The Day The Law Died, which ive never liked at all, it's all just magnificent and happily counted among the best comics- dredd, british, or otherwise- that ive ever read. Especially The Pit, which to this day is my favourite Dredd. Have fun!

SBT

Some of it is quite new. I'v read a lot Dredd, but mostly the old stuff(I got some casefiles besides those I mentioned too, but can't remember which ones besides 1 and those with J Child).

But I still love the hell out of both Cursed earth, Day the law died, block mania and Apocalypse war like the first time I read them. Same thing with Origins and The complete america

I'v read Origin a couple of times, but I still laugh at "He got our chin" and think "Pretty much the same..." is awesome as hell.

I'm reading The pit now (great stuff). I haven't gotten Tour of duty 1-2 yet (they're on their way this or next week).
Sure I'v skiped through some of the pages and therefor I'm in the know of some stuff (PJ Maybe in Tour of duty or Nimrod in Total war for example), but it's so character driven that "the chocks" still carry weight on their impact.

It's a bit like watching Breaking Bad. It's fun not to know what's comming, but it's the road from A to B  where the gold for me is, not being first crossing the finishing line.

But then. I'm still amazed when Darth Vader says "I'm your father" in Star wars haha. I'm probaply a bit easily entertained.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Borntohula on 26 September, 2012, 10:38:00 AM
Seems like a no brainer then, buying it. I love the stories surrounding America Beeny. And total war seem to expand and complement the total war bits about her story nicely.

About brothers of the blood. Is that somewhat covered in Total war? I'v seen some pages of it, and I know about Nimrod.

Does for example Vienna (I'v read both the first story with her, and some of the later ones) bring it up that Dredd kills alot of his "brothers" (Kraken and Rico) when he does Nimrod in? If that's the case, I'm quite satisfied, I like some stuff to feel mystic. I'v read Dredd killing Rico, and Origins does a good job detailing the clone aspect to his character, being born to do what it is that he do.

I don't for example feel a need to read Oz to read necropolis, the stuff about the Judda and other clones get's covered for me fine in small doses :)

I'll put some thoughts into it PJ. I'v read some of his tails, but his background is quite spilled out in ToD right? At least what he's been up to? A bit Judge Caligula in Day the law died, just showing up and then explained bits by bits along the way?

If you already know Vienna's deal you can probably get away with skipping Brothers of the Blood. Though I like it in general, because it reprints Sector House and Brothers of the Blood, two of my favorite Dredd tales. Nimrod isn't introduced until Total War, but since you know about him, and Dredd's family tree. Again, Brothers of the Blood probable isn't essential reading then.

As for PJ Maybe, yeah Tour of Duty does a good job of filling in any specific need-to-know blanks. So you can get away with skipping his prior misadventures. I just... don't recommend it. There's a reason he's one of Dredd's most popular recurring baddies.

Apestrife

Quote from: The Adventurer on 26 September, 2012, 07:22:44 PM
If you already know Vienna's deal you can probably get away with skipping Brothers of the Blood. Though I like it in general, because it reprints Sector House and Brothers of the Blood, two of my favorite Dredd tales. Nimrod isn't introduced until Total War, but since you know about him, and Dredd's family tree. Again, Brothers of the Blood probable isn't essential reading then.

As for PJ Maybe, yeah Tour of Duty does a good job of filling in any specific need-to-know blanks. So you can get away with skipping his prior misadventures. I just... don't recommend it. There's a reason he's one of Dredd's most popular recurring baddies.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I made a quick check on a site called scans-daily, which detailed the "brother thing" a bit. And it looks like I'll get enough Vienna through Total War. It'll give the family thing enough weight and I think the "Connection" in the Origins trade does it well expanding that.
I'm actually more into the imagery of Dredd offing his brother clones (Kraken going in Necropolis is really sad, in a good way) than detailing the family vibe. Dredd family gatherings on christmas eve and what not hehe.
The Dredd killing Dredd thing will be really interesting to see if it'll come into play later. if he'll end Rico v.2 or himself someday. If he can stand being a machine forever.

I think I'll start out with Tour of Duty to begin with. If PJ feels like a killer read, then I'll probably buy the collection. A lot of people, as you say, sure seem to like him, so it's not impossible. Especially not considering that I thought Chopper sounded corny or something at first, hearing about him. But when I got to read his stuff I really felt for the guy! But as said, a shame that Garth Ennis brought him back (which is included in Surfs up) from one of the most powerful deaths ever.

Taryn Tailz

I should warn you that the Complete P J Maybe trade is really hard to get a hold of. I'd love to give it a read myself but I've never seen a copy going for a reasonable price.

Apestrife

Quote from: Tim Tailz on 26 September, 2012, 11:45:48 PM
I should warn you that the Complete P J Maybe trade is really hard to get a hold of. I'd love to give it a read myself but I've never seen a copy going for a reasonable price.

Yes, I saw that at about the same time you wrote it here. Total war also seemed quite hard to find, but then I checked the 2000ad online shop, and "BAM!" I bought it there as soon as I saw it :)

radiator

I think Total War just features Terror, Total War and After the Bombs.

Robert Frazer

That's correct, yes. "Caught in the Act" is not featured. Still, "Total War" is one of my favourite individual Dredd Thrills - it's a really pacy adventure. The panelling in the story is very dense, but that's because it's an urgent, vigorous piece with a lot of drive propelling it and a lot to convey (scenes such as Dredd and Vienna having a conversation while Dredd is roaring off on a Lawmaster - there's always somewhere to go and something to do). I enjoyed the PSU's detective work in it, as well.
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

The Adventurer

I like Terror a lot. I sort of conciser it a thematic sequel to America (as apposed to a direct sequel like Fades the Light and Cadet)

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Tim Tailz on 26 September, 2012, 11:45:48 PM

Really? Fantastic, as I have that. To eBay...

Apestrife

I just read through both Tour of duty backslash and Mega city justice in one sitting.

Felt like a Judge Dredd themed The wire. Brilliant. A lot of different stories, but they all came together and paid off in the end.

PJ Maybe worked really fine. I'm not sure how much more stories I want to read about him, but I think the the little that was of him in this really fitted the story. Especially when thinking of how both him, Beeny and Dredd each got a complicated past linked to their looks, and how they deal with that. Beeny building upon her's, Dredd questioning his and PJ embracing his.

And I loved the mutant issue. Heavy stuff with lots of nuances. While I rooted for the muties, and bought Dredd beliving everyones the same in front of justice, I did at the same time think things went to fast. Very brave of Wagner to explore such potential issues, and Dredd adressed it well saying the failure was in the  practicalities, not the principle.

Only minus I could think of was when they talked about Judge Lopez. I haven't read Judge child quest in a long time, and can't remember Lopez that well. So the minus is on me ;)

Can't wait till I get the Total War trade, and next year when Day of chaos p1 is released!