Main Menu

Eagle Comics' Judge Dredd

Started by SmallBlueThing, 01 October, 2012, 09:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Matt

None of the changes were made for the Case Files specifically - it purely depends on which film we were using to scan from (those Death episodes were possibly scanned from Best of 2K film, as opposed to the original prog film). All the panel shunting around and balloon tweaking was done long ago (presumably by IPC) for the various formats the stories were to be published in.

Trout

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 October, 2012, 01:31:11 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 02 October, 2012, 01:23:37 PM
on this specific spread, that would mean splitting Death's face in half, so the entire panel has been shunted to the right and both it and the adjacent panels have been trimmed to make them fit the page.

Yup. Took the words out of my mouth. The Casefiles crop is better because it doesn't cut the facial features.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Cyber-Matt on 02 October, 2012, 01:44:57 PM
None of the changes were made for the Case Files specifically - it purely depends on which film we were using to scan from (those Death episodes were possibly scanned from Best of 2K film, as opposed to the original prog film). All the panel shunting around and balloon tweaking was done long ago (presumably by IPC) for the various formats the stories were to be published in.

Brilliant! Thanks, Cyber-Matt, that's what I figured. Now to find out when and where they WERE done- and which edition featured the altered speech balloons... A shame that a bit of Bolland art got erased for the Case Files version, but it's given me something to do while my toes heal- which is always good for the soul*.

SBT

*Heh, do you see?

Dandontdare

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 02 October, 2012, 01:51:58 PM
but it's given me something to do while my toes heal- which is always good for the soul

....anything else that you've been meaning to get around to comics wise, perhaps?  ;)

SmallBlueThing

PsychoGoatee

Also just for the record, the recent-ish "Death Lives" book featuring those Bolland Death tales also has them in the same configuration as the Case Files.

matty_ae

Okay this gets odder.
In the Eagle version of Judge Death lives when Dredd and Anderson prepare to go through the force field, dredd replies with the line "is this strictly necessary?" clearly perturbed at having to touch her waist.
This dialogue is missing in the IPC masters in the case file and Titan books. So did Eagle add this fantastic line or was it in the prog?
Can't attach a pic on this sodding iPad

Spikes

A quick check shows that line wasnt used in the prog.

matty_ae

Here's the scan - nice dialogue. anyone got a comparison of the B&W
Can the line now be canon?

SmallBlueThing

I meant to check this last night, as my various versions are still out following the great judge fire conundrum the other week- but i got sidetracked reading dredd's adventures as judge marshall of lunar one. In turn, this made me wonder if, in retrospect, the moon stories should be considered one of the first 'epics'. I understand it not having been so, as it's multiple storylines and epics were always single plots- but post 'the pit', and certainly 'tour of duty' and 'day of chaos', maybe we should retrofit the space adventures into talk of epic dredds?

SBT

James Stacey

The Pit and ToD had an overarching plot that encompassed the 'epic' though didn't it. The lunar one stuff didn't, it was just Dredd wearing a cape.

SmallBlueThing

Surely the plot is that dredd gets made lunar marshall and cleans up the moon? That's pretty much overarching the whole thing. I dunno, just chucking it out there- dont know how many eps it is, as i only had 'the early cases' issue 5 to hand. Great though, and not read for years. When are planet replicas gonna do the badge and cape, that's what i wanto know.

SBT

Colin YNWA

The irony is though, with the 'Is this strictly necessary' - well the lines not is it. Look at Bolland's art, Dredd's face and body language speaks so much louder than the added dialogue for me!

Spikes

Quote from: matty_ae on 12 October, 2012, 10:22:00 AM
anyone got a comparison of the B&W

Certainly the Dredd Eagle reprints didnt receive the same amount of attention that the Nemesis ones did, but still, its interesting to compare the two.
Mostly its a case of cropping panels (as with the case files), speech bubbles being added or taken away, backgrounds altered, or simply re-jigging of panel order here and there, but some new art was produced in an attempt to make it all fit together.

So, the Eagle reprints saw a lot of alterations, the Titan reprints were incomplete (the cursed earth books, was of course, missing the 'banned' episodes. but they also condensed several episodes into one) the case files has adjusted some of the DPS's, and all with varying results. It would seem your best off sticking to the old progs,  ;)

SmallBlueThing

Of course. A complete set of Case Files and/or Titan and Eagle reprints is all well and good in the sense of being convenient and attractive on a living room shelf- but the actual progs, properly bagged and boarded to prevent thrill-leakage, are the only real way to experience these stories, for the connoisseur.

SBT