Main Menu

Prog 1823 - Last Dance

Started by blixab, 09 March, 2013, 10:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisticuffs

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 March, 2013, 11:16:32 AM
And he's not wrong.

It's not a question of if he's right or wrong, it's a case of people not wanting to be forcefed political agendas when you pick up a comic looking for a fun and thrilling read. I've only been buying 2000AD for 8 months and already I'm tiring of it (the politics, not 2000AD! :D )

Mabs

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 12 March, 2013, 06:27:57 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 12 March, 2013, 11:16:32 AM
And he's not wrong.

It's not a question of if he's right or wrong, it's a case of people not wanting to be forcefed political agendas when you pick up a comic looking for a fun and thrilling read. I've only been buying 2000AD for 8 months and already I'm tiring of it (the politics, not 2000AD! :D )

I have to say i quite like the political stuff in Savage, and even questions of morals/ethics in American Reaper in the Meg. Some of the stuff Mills covers are interesting, and like Tordelback has pointed out, not very far from the truth either.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Spaceghost

I've read the rest of the prog now and really enjoyed it.

Dredd was really good, as has been said, but for the second week running, I have no idea what was supposed to have happened at the end. How did the rookie get the lipstick mark? Did he snog the tattooist? Why?

Apologies if I'm being dense. Can someone shed some light?

Liked the end of Savage. Shame about the 'twitcher'.

Also really liked the Past Imperfect. Clever, chilling and witty with lovely art.

Stickleback next week has me all a tingle.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Spaceghost on 12 March, 2013, 10:08:25 PMDredd was really good, as has been said, but for the second week running, I have no idea what was supposed to have happened at the end. How did the rookie get the lipstick mark? Did he snog the tattooist? Why?
What I read from that was the rookie was an appalling judge who'd been rushed through the system and probably let the tattooist get away in return for a quick shag.

Colin YNWA

WHERE'S MY PROG????

WHERE IS IT? WHEREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!???????

Ahem. Tharg is cruelly teasing me. He knows how much I want to read the last part of Red Seas and this, THIS is how he treats a loyal subject. DAMN YOU THARG, DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!

Hawkmumbler

I'm in the same boat. Got bills but no prog.  >:(

Spaceghost

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 March, 2013, 12:33:57 PM
Quote from: Spaceghost on 12 March, 2013, 10:08:25 PMDredd was really good, as has been said, but for the second week running, I have no idea what was supposed to have happened at the end. How did the rookie get the lipstick mark? Did he snog the tattooist? Why?
What I read from that was the rookie was an appalling judge who'd been rushed through the system and probably let the tattooist get away in return for a quick shag.

If that IS the case then it's bloody stupid. That Judge looked much older than cadets we've seen who exhibited more sense.

I can accept errors of judgment, but for someone who's basically gone through full training to aid the escape of a murderer in exchange for sex??? Simply unbelievable.

Grant Goggans

I have to say (SPOILERS COLIN) that I did not see that coming in The Red Seas.  [spoiler]The dog saves the day... because he was bored![/spoiler]

I also seriously wish that Tharg starts responding to reader frustration with these agonizing breaks between stories in a series.  This was not the decade-plus long epic that Tharg suggests in Input; it was something that should have run over three-and-a-bit years, with maybe a month in between stories, not like the thirteen-month gap before the "dangled over giant crab" cliffhanger was resolved.  Like "The War of the Moses," this was a tremendous missed opportunity.  Consistency wouldn't just be nice, it would help make epics truly epic.

Dandontdare

Fisticuffs

Quote from: Spaceghost on 13 March, 2013, 01:50:00 PMIf that IS the case then it's bloody stupid. That Judge looked much older than cadets we've seen who exhibited more sense.

I can accept errors of judgment, but for someone who's basically gone through full training to aid the escape of a murderer in exchange for sex??? Simply unbelievable.

That's the point, he hasn't been through the full Judge training program, he's been fast tracked to help make up the numbers. He might not necessarily have been inducted as a child, for all we know he was a member of Citi-Def until a couple of months ago, was chosen as a quick-replacement Judge, given a crash course and thrown out on patrol. Without any more information on the fast tracking program used by Justice Department calling it stupid is a bit much.

Mabs

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 13 March, 2013, 06:19:46 PM
Quote from: Spaceghost on 13 March, 2013, 01:50:00 PMIf that IS the case then it's bloody stupid. That Judge looked much older than cadets we've seen who exhibited more sense.

That's the point, he hasn't been through the full Judge training program, he's been fast tracked to help make up the numbers. He might not necessarily have been inducted as a child, for all we know he was a member of Citi-Def until a couple of months ago, was chosen as a quick-replacement Judge, given a crash course and thrown out on patrol. Without any more information on the fast tracking program used by Justice Department calling it stupid is a bit much.

That was my understanding of the story aswell.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Spaceghost

I don't care how ill prepared we're supposed to believe this Judge is, it wouldn't take a fully trained Judge to suss this out. Even a full-on simp would realise that it's a bad idea to

A) Release a dangerous criminal
B) Have sex with a dangerous criminal in exchange for their release
C) Have sex with a dangerous criminal who is wanted for killing people by having sex with them

Sorry but if this is the intention of the story, then it certainly is stupid.

Dandontdare

or do any of the above when teamed up with Dredd!

Alien Goodness

I'm not generally negative, but my biggest thought after finishing this Prog is "Thank the Tharg that this is the end of The Red Seas!"

On a more positive note, I liked how Savage ended. This book has really captured the futility of war - the waste of soldiers' lives on both sides, the politics, how it's about money rather than right or wrong, etc. I look forward to the next book.

Mabs

Quote from: Alien Goodness on 13 March, 2013, 08:15:14 PM
I'm not generally negative, but my biggest thought after finishing this Prog is "Thank the Tharg that this is the end of The Red Seas!"

On a more positive note, I liked how Savage ended. This book has really captured the futility of war - the waste of soldiers' lives on both sides, the politics, how it's about money rather than right or wrong, etc. I look forward to the next book.

I felt the total opposite. Really gutted to see it end!  :(

My Twitter @nexuswookie