Main Menu

Survival Geeks

Started by Gwynfor Maybe, 01 April, 2013, 09:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwynfor Maybe

Hi. I'm new to the board but I felt compelled to sign up so that I can sing the praises of Survival Geeks. Seriously, this has been one of the best things I've read in 2000ad for the last few years (and unlike Zombo it's actually made me laugh) so please, please Tharg, can we have some more?   

Spikes

Hi Gwynfor Maybe - and welcome to the forum,  :wave:
Survival Geeks is part of the 3rillers series of short stories (3 episodes, and then thats it), which can be a shame, as theres been some cracking 3rillers id have loved to have seen continue.
(Those with longer memories may be able to say whether any strip has broken free of the format, but i dont think so).

Of course, if your asking for more stories from the format, then its a semi-regular feature.

vzzbux

Welcome.
Dandridge started as a short IIRC.
If this is popular with the readers then it may get commissioned for more.
I for one have enjoyed this little tale.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Hawkmumbler

Me to, it has an impish charm to it that make's it work. I'd buy into more, however only if they lay off the references on the long run. They WILL become annoying after a while, as they lack the subtlity/ excuse of Stickleback or Crucis.

Professor Bear

Welcome to the board, new person!

While fine as filler, I personally don't see Survival Geeks fitting in at 2000ad as a regular strip.  Nothing to do with the material itself, it's just the genre of "student-based comedy" tends to be a bit polorising even before you factor in that 2000ad has already done this kind of thing before (Bec and Kawl being the most obvious and recent example) and its been met with indifference at best, as humor strips usually tend to be.  Arguably the prevalence of huge archives of similar strips available for free on the internet also makes a watered-down print alternative unappealing, if not redundant.  If we're going to do webcomics in 2000ad, I say we go for broke and get something like Achewood in there.

pauljholden

Pretty sure there will be more survival geeks.

-pj

shaolin_monkey

Hurrah!  Good news.  I'm thoroughly enjoying it - a lovely tongue-in-cheek poke at us geeks, with some lovely references to our fave film/game/comic entertainment.

Hawkmumbler

Shush! Enough talk, obey. Sleep.  :lol:

Harry 20

I really liked it! It stands out as something a little different in the prog!

Proudhuff

Now that Logan has moved up to the officers mess, its up to me to be the grumpy old git here (unless Bolt fancies the job) and say while it was a fine one off, the whole focus on what to me could end up with a bunch of 12 year olds trucking around geek troupe tick list would quickly lose its shine, but I'd have faith old GReenie would pull a rabbit of Boba Fett's Helmet on this one, not too keen on the manga-lite style either but as the official GOG that's what you'd expect.

and welcome Maybe!
DDT did a job on me

Professor Bear

Quote from: Proudhuff on 05 April, 2013, 12:44:46 PMthe whole focus on what to me could end up with a bunch of 12 year olds trucking around geek troupe tick list would quickly lose its shine

While I share your ambivalence towards the idea of more SG, if the endurance of such strips on the web and the mainstream success of Scott Pilgrim, Big Bang Theory and those spoof movies that are just a string of references to other things rather than actual jokes are any indication, ticking fantasy references off a list seems to be doing just fine as a genre.

judgefloyd

welcome aboard Survival Geeks.  Long may your Geeks Survive.

coastguardjackuk

I thought it was good, could probably handle another one not a series. I don't really like the more light -hearted stuff so much. I had fun working out the references but thought there have been better stories. I recall one from last year or maybe the summer before. Last year I think, a bit like Warren Ellis and Chris Weston's Ministry of Space. That was really good and more my kind of thing but all in all I approve strongly of this idea of Tharg's. I like the concept and hope it continues.
Building up a nice crust since 1969...