Main Menu

Hardback 2000ad's

Started by Eme, 11 July, 2013, 10:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eme

That Zenith hardback collection got me thinking,

i would love to see 2000ad full prog collections bound up like that,
eg:
hardback Progs 1-100,101-200,201-300   etc..
or Years would be cool too, 2000ad year 1,2,3,4 etc...

what about others, would you like to see this?

IndigoPrime

A hundred Progs would be, what, 2000 pages or so? As a hardback, I cant even imagine how much that'd cost. Realistically, you'd get maybe 30, and they wouldn't have the mainstream draw of a single character, so the price would be high to offset against risk. It was tried once before with the Digital Archives, and that went nowhere. I'd be amazed to see Rebellion try the same again unless it did so in an actually digital manner (i.e. for the iPad app/online as PDF).

I, Cosh

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 July, 2013, 10:18:57 AM
It was tried once before with the Digital Archives, and that went nowhere.
The Digital Archives were released a bit before I returned to the fold and I've been annoyed about not being able to get my hands on them ever since I heard of them. Was the problem lack of sales or did they have rights issues with Dan Dare and the like?
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

I imagine it was a bunch of things. From what I recall, the print quality wasn't stellar, the books were quite high-priced for the time and delayed, and they were in mono, not colour. Also, as I noted, I just wonder whether the demand is there. Sure, some completists might like to have a bound 'back up' for their boxed Progs, and others might be curious enough about 2000 AD's earliest days to splash out. But for the most part, I just don't see the audience, and especially not for premium tomes. (Perhaps if 2000 AD were to issue phone-book style 600-page volumes, that might sell a little better, but I still imagine the best route is trade collections for the popular stuff, Meg floppies for the rest, and perhaps a digital release if that becomes viable in the future.)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 11 July, 2013, 10:29:49 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 July, 2013, 10:18:57 AM
It was tried once before with the Digital Archives, and that went nowhere.
The Digital Archives were released a bit before I returned to the fold and I've been annoyed about not being able to get my hands on them ever since I heard of them. Was the problem lack of sales or did they have rights issues with Dan Dare and the like?

Yeah I'd have bloody loved the chance to pick these up. As I recall it was the Dan D stuff wasn't it?

Recrewt

Yeah, as someone who has fairly recently returned to 2000ad, one of the big problems is that there is so much stuff.  Whilst I applaud those who have all the progs, that is a staggering amount of comics which I don't have enough space for.  That is without taking into account the Megs and Specials, and then all the sister titles like starlord, crisis, etc..

Like many folks I have started with the case files to catch up on past stories but even that is a bit of a mission - I think we are now in the 20's for the Dredd ones with many more year's worth to go.

I would rather see digital versions of the earlier stuff available which I can read on the ipad.

Spikes

Digitally, i could see this working.
Not sure what it would cost Rebellion to do this, though - in terms of overheads, scanning pages and cleaning them up, and paying to use stuff like Dan Dare (would that indeed be the case?).

Maybe try a suck it and see approach, and release the first 50(?) progs digitally?

Molch-R

We've got absolutely no plans to make every issue of 2000 AD available digitally (or otherwise) or early Progs either, though we're working on making more collected editions available online in a variety of formats.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Molch-R on 11 July, 2013, 03:26:43 PM
We've got absolutely no plans to make every issue of 2000 AD available digitally (or otherwise) or early Progs either, though we're working on making more collected editions available online in a variety of formats.

A deluxe hardback collected Bad Company, please pretty please.

And while I'm at it, how about a deluxe hardback Luke Kirby as well?!

Molch-R

Bolt-01

Molch-R

Max Headroom

One day, and this is purely from a personal point of view, I would like to see hardcover, deluxe editions of the Dredd Case Files; perhaps incorporating three or so of the current paperbacks. A complete Nemesis the Warlock in this format would also be pretty cool. I would certainly love to own these stories in big, beautiful hardbacks and would pay top dollar for them as well! Would others be prepared to part with a bit more of their hard-earned too ??

matty_ae

I'm planning to bind the first 100 2000ads and it really is a decision whether you bind them in 10's or 20's.

Anything more would be unweildly/rediculous.

I really want to preserve the centrespread as for me that is where 2000ad history has been re-written/misunderstood. Clearly the prime story should go in the centre and its clear how Dan Dare was earmarked for this role and just how late in the run Dredd finally 'made it' even with abc being in the middle.

I also didnt realise how early robo-hunter was. I thought (mistakenly) it was produced at the same time as dr & quinch and nemesis as it featured in the Eagle quality mags but it was so much earlier and doesnt get the praise it deserves. Anyway rant over. 20 progs max a book and thats heavy!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Max Headroom on 11 July, 2013, 11:34:31 PMOne day, and this is purely from a personal point of view, I would like to see hardcover, deluxe editions of the Dredd Case Files; perhaps incorporating three or so of the current paperbacks [...] and would pay top dollar for them as well!
I shudder to think how much a 1000-page deluxe Dredd hardback would cost, and how unwieldy it would be. Even the giant Sandman books that RRP for 75 quid are 600 pages. You'd be talking, what, at least 200 quid per volume?