Main Menu

Judge Dredd - Year One 'The Cold Light of Day' by Michael Carroll

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 31 July, 2013, 04:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

This is the second in the 'hopefully long' line of e-novels (although I want them all collected in print eventually) from Joe's first year on the streets!

I've only just bought it and shall be reading it tonight, so long as I don't work too hard!

It's available through the normal internet places and costs £2.99, which is well worth it :D

It's written by Michael Carroll, which is a name that says it's going to be a quality read to me and so I think everyone should buy it, even if you don't have a Kindle, i-Pad, etc... Just buy it ;)

TordelBack

Sounds like a worthwhile purchase.  Can you get this in PDF/CBR or whatever for laptop use, or is it tablet-specific?  And do I ask this every time one of these eBook things comes out?

COMMANDO FORCES

I wouldn't know but when I downloaded it onto the wife's Kindle it also went onto the i-Pad, my Sony phone and the computer at the same time. That's because I have the Kindle app on all those devices!

Toni Scandella

You can use the Kindle app, which is free to download from Amazon, on a pc or laptop for ebooks. Only thing with the Kindle app on a PC is you can't read comics on it for some reason - only tablets (possibly smart phones too)

Bat King

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 31 July, 2013, 04:51:19 PMIt's written by Michael Carroll, which is a name that says it's going to be a quality read to me and so I think everyone should buy it, even if you don't have a Kindle, i-Pad, etc... Just buy it ;)[/color]

Mike who?

But seriously... bought this & will review it on Judge-Tutor Semple soon as possible - but I'm a bit backed up at the moment. As CF says... with Mike's name on it I'm full of confidence.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

COMMANDO FORCES

Quick review, as I'm at work. It was extremely entertaining!

From the opening paragraph Mike gives you a small glimpse of what it's like to be a Judge, as Dredd and another Judge talk about the reactions of the citizens around them.
We have some lovely departmental procedures on show throughout the tale, which really flesh out how the Judges work. My favourite was the heatseeker incident!

The story comes in three interwoven parts. The race, the current case and Dredd's Hotdog run. Mike plays all three parts out across the tale rather cleverly, as we move back and forth to the conclusion.

Due to the Hotdog run and it's consequences, Dredd is given no help from numerous other Judges, until...... As if!

If you are new to the world of Dredd, or have read it from Prog 2, you will love this. References all over the place, pop culture thrown in (loved the three man team doing their show) and plenty of pure Dredd. I would highly recommend this to anyone and I detest e-books!

One final thing, sorry two, we get a small insight on how Rico is heading and at the end a rather interesting situation is played out between Dredd and one other.

Bravo Mike, now let's have another one and if you have the time how about an IDW Year One!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Looking forward to getting this when my paycheque comes in. I really enjoyed City Fathers.

One thing has got me wondering: When they're writing it, which specific artist's version of Dredd do they have in their mind's eye? Or is it a mish-mash? Brendan McCarthy's helmet with McMahon's boots or somesuch?
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mister Pops on 11 August, 2013, 08:38:54 PMWhen they're writing it, which specific artist's version of Dredd do they have in their mind's eye?

Insight into Caroll's mind's eye:

maryanddavid

That's brilliant! 
Not being a great screen reader, I wonder will there be a chance of a collected print edition if there is a few put out?

JOE SOAP

Year One Omnibus will have a print edition plus a new third story by Al Ewing:

COMMANDO FORCES

Mike Carroll

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 10 December, 2013, 01:34:36 AM
BASTARDS!

Hmm... Can't say I agree with that assessment, John! I can't speak for Matt's novella, but there's been a lot of people asking me if there's going to be a physical edition of The Cold Light of Day. Not everyone has an e-reader!

-- Mike

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 10 December, 2013, 10:43:25 AM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 10 December, 2013, 01:34:36 AM
BASTARDS!

Hmm... Can't say I agree with that assessment, John! I can't speak for Matt's novella, but there's been a lot of people asking me if there's going to be a physical edition of The Cold Light of Day. Not everyone has an e-reader!

-- Mike

I think CF's reason to be sarcastic angry are quite the reverse. :lol:

How much did you pay for an Ereader just to buy these digitally again, CF?

Bolt-01

hmmm- interesting. Will Al's story also get a digital release further down the line?

Top books by the way- both of them very enjoyable.