Main Menu

Prog 1853 - King of the wild frontier!

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 October, 2013, 01:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I for one didn't have an issue with he Tyrannosaurus chin stroke. Anyone here keep reptile, I do, two Bearded dragons and a ball Python and both have a point where they can be stroked and be lulled into a content sleep. Its not that stretch on and imagination to assume a Tyrannosaurs with a belly full of meat can be tickled by a large breasted tart into resting.

JamesC

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 October, 2013, 12:21:18 PMI for one didn't have an issue with he Tyrannosaurus chin stroke. Anyone here keep reptile, I do, two Bearded dragons and a ball Python and both have a point where they can be stroked and be lulled into a content sleep.
Now imagine one of them attacked you and was about 12m long, weighed 7 tons, and had teeth over 20cm long. Oh, and you're in a confined space with it. And it's extremely pissed off. Now try and tickle its chin.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 October, 2013, 02:34:41 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 October, 2013, 12:21:18 PMI for one didn't have an issue with he Tyrannosaurus chin stroke. Anyone here keep reptile, I do, two Bearded dragons and a ball Python and both have a point where they can be stroked and be lulled into a content sleep.
Now imagine one of them attacked you and was about 12m long, weighed 7 tons, and had teeth over 20cm long. Oh, and you're in a confined space with it. And it's extremely pissed off. Now try and tickle its chin.
Didnt get the impression Gore Head was pissed off particularly, just being the giant arse he is and eating one of the Riders. But how would I know the physchological patterns of a giant reptile from 66 Millions years ago?!

Dandontdare

...especially if you're wearing a shirt that is clearly three sizes too small

Steve Green

OK, a bit bigger and capable of killing you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/picturesoftheday/9213733/Pictures-of-the-day-19-April-2012.html

GordonR

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 October, 2013, 12:21:18 PM
I for one didn't have an issue with he Tyrannosaurus chin stroke. Anyone here keep reptile, I do, two Bearded dragons and a ball Python and both have a point where they can be stroked and be lulled into a content sleep. Its not that stretch on and imagination to assume a Tyrannosaurs with a belly full of meat can be tickled by a large breasted tart into resting.

Naff misogyny aside, do you think that's a dramatically satisfying way of ending four pages of 'get the rampaging dinosaur into the box'? (Which, after all, is absolutely all that happens in this episode.)

Or put it this way - are the accurate details of domestic pet reptile husbandry really what a strip about time travel, corporate greed giant rampaging dinosaurs should be addressing?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: GordonR on 09 October, 2013, 03:54:20 PM

Naff misogyny aside, do you think that's a dramatically satisfying way of ending four pages of 'get the rampaging dinosaur into the box'? (Which, after all, is absolutely all that happens in this episode.)

Or put it this way - are the accurate details of domestic pet reptile husbandry really what a strip about time travel, corporate greed giant rampaging dinosaurs should be addressing?
No. Not really. But in a strop with awfully bad characterisation, poor pacing, as stated, naff misogyny, and more flailing loose ends than Yog-Sothoths turd, its a lesser sin.

Zarjazzer

An afternoon at the dentists means early prog time. Excellent Dredd, Flesh fun filled as a brontosaurus/apatosaurus sandwich, chin hug and all and Brass Sun  was very good again indeed. Aquila and Damnation Station were just fabulous with more setting up of the next big bad. I particularly like the creepy Roman Goddess assassin, a great design.

And no sore teeth. Yay!
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

sheldipez

Great cover, Dredd was fun & I continue to wish Brass Sun was an ongoing Vertigo series as these brief stop, starts are killing me.

After a killer one-shot last week Damnation is back to struggling to keep my attention and Flesh is confusing to distraction; never thought I'd see a strip I'd be tempted to skip.

TordelBack

Cover:  More please!

Dredd:  Great use of heatseekers, especially Pax getting the baddies' weapons all warmed up.  Warming to Davidson's art. Just needs to loosen up a bit and find new ways of doing talking heads, and he's going to be a star.
Brass Sun:  Splendid, a deep draught of warm nectar. Lot to be said for being the granddaughter of a bishop-turned-alchemist.

Flesh:  See, I preferred this one to previous episodes in this run. Some lovely, lovely Gorehead art, one of the hated Midnight Cowboys get chomped, and I actually enjoyed the Rex tickling - touch of the old  oo-mox there, and more seriously a nice insight into the realities of dinos as everyday animals rather than time-irradiated demonic nemeses.  Vegas' four-sizes-too-small depiction is worrying, but it has been thoroughly lampshaded in previous books, and I do like the character, as well as finding McKay's style attractive.  My real problem is that all the women in TransTime are functionally identical, which rather undermines some f the foregoing.  Wondering if Carter and Reagan are ever going to show up, or are we going to be strung along until Book 4.

Aquila:  Ah-hah, the main course arrives.  Rennie crams so much story and background, and so many new characters, into this one that it feels like a double episode. The mix of Goddard and Caldwell on art somehow gives proceedings a Trigan Empire/Heros the Spartan feel which I really, really like.  A perfect thrill. 

Damnation Station: My faith rewarded.  After being lukewarm about the first three episodes, this one was a stunner.  Even Harrison's art was more integrated than before, although I feel the point of the Host's half-arsed attempt at a human face was rather lost in the generic zombie demon look on show here.  OTOH I thought the Interplanet Spacefleet helmets and a guest appearance by Spaceman Digby were pure genius.

Top Prog for me, firing on all cylinders: 4.5/5.

Tombo

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 October, 2013, 12:55:11 PM
Dredd:  especially Pax getting the baddies' weapons all warmed up. 

Huh! I never thought of that.  I thought she was just having a quick look to see how much shit they were actually in.  But getting the baddies all riled up, out on the front line with nice warm guns, that's a cunning plan!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tombo on 10 October, 2013, 03:41:34 PM

Huh! I never thought of that.  I thought she was just having a quick look to see how much shit they were actually in.  But getting the baddies all riled up, out on the front line with nice warm guns, that's a cunning plan!

Alas, I just re-read the episode, and I was wrong: Pax is indeed just scouting, Joyce's cunning heatseeker plan is a response to her findings. Ah well.

JamesC

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 October, 2013, 09:06:53 PM
Quote from: Tombo on 10 October, 2013, 03:41:34 PM

Alas, I just re-read the episode, and I was wrong: Pax is indeed just scouting, Joyce's cunning heatseeker plan is a response to her findings. Ah well.

Shhhh! Your idea was better.