Main Menu

Prog 1853 - King of the wild frontier!

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 October, 2013, 01:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Just put down this weeks Prog; solid titanium for me (apart from that 'Flesh' weak spot, script-wise).

Fantastic array of artwork from cover to finish.
Is there another publication on Earth that could hold its own art-wise against Tharg's mighty organ?
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Mike Carroll

Quote from: JamesC on 10 October, 2013, 09:31:11 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 10 October, 2013, 09:06:53 PM
Quote from: Tombo on 10 October, 2013, 03:41:34 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 10 October, 2013, 12:55:11 PM
Dredd:  especially Pax getting the baddies' weapons all warmed up. 

Huh! I never thought of that.  I thought she was just having a quick look to see how much shit they were actually in.  But getting the baddies all riled up, out on the front line with nice warm guns, that's a cunning plan!

Alas, I just re-read the episode, and I was wrong: Pax is indeed just scouting, Joyce's cunning heatseeker plan is a response to her findings. Ah well.

Shhhh! Your idea was better.

Hmm... See Judge Dredd: In Control, prog 1717!  ;)

-- Mike

TordelBack

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 10 October, 2013, 11:58:27 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 10 October, 2013, 09:31:11 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 10 October, 2013, 09:06:53 PM
Quote from: Tombo on 10 October, 2013, 03:41:34 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 10 October, 2013, 12:55:11 PM
Dredd:  especially Pax getting the baddies' weapons all warmed up. 

Huh! I never thought of that.  I thought she was just having a quick look to see how much shit they were actually in.  But getting the baddies all riled up, out on the front line with nice warm guns, that's a cunning plan!

Alas, I just re-read the episode, and I was wrong: Pax is indeed just scouting, Joyce's cunning heatseeker plan is a response to her findings. Ah well.

Shhhh! Your idea was better.

Hmm... See Judge Dredd: In Control, prog 1717!  ;)

"Muzzle temp is approx 330 celsius".  Heh, must be in the Comportment somewhere.

Spikes

And yet another grand prog, this week. Keep it up Tharg!

Really like this week's cover - though for some reason i keep thinking its a wraparound, but on turning the prog over...
Dredd is good and solid. Plenty of action, and a step nearer to the Goblin King..
Brass Sun continues to be a treat. Since its return it seems to have a wee bit more gore to it? But lovely stuff, all told.
Another great episode of Flesh is served up. Really liking this strip - for the story, but especially the art.
After a slightly so-so episode last week, Aquila is on form. Overall im enjoying this strip.
Damnation Station has really grown on me - though the art can be slightly impenetrable, or cluttered, at times. Really liking the story now, but still no real idea what's going on.

TordelBack

Quote from: Judge Jack on 11 October, 2013, 10:04:32 AMReally like this week's cover - though for some reason i keep thinking its a wraparound, but on turning the prog over...

Not just me then.  Where's the back end of me Rex, Tharg?

Recrewt

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 October, 2013, 12:45:51 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 11 October, 2013, 10:04:32 AMReally like this week's cover - though for some reason i keep thinking its a wraparound, but on turning the prog over...

Not just me then.  Where's the back end of me Rex, Tharg?

Didn't you know?  It's another set of variant covers - Rex's arse is #2.   ;)

Hawkmumbler

I thought it was an issue with the digital file! So it was a design choice? Not a good one tbh.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 October, 2013, 01:16:42 PM
I thought it was an issue with the digital file! So it was a design choice? Not a good one tbh.

Ah I think it's a super cover, all the better for making me want an entirely imaginary second half!  I always know a cover has really done its job when the wife (a non-scrot) picks it up and comments on it. 

sheldipez

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 October, 2013, 01:24:09 PM

Ah I think it's a super cover, all the better for making me want an entirely imaginary second half!  I always know a cover has really done its job when the wife (a non-scrot) picks it up and comments on it.

Cover of the year for me, though any of the other rough versions would have been equally awesome.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 October, 2013, 01:24:09 PM

Oh yes, its a cracking cover! But naffed up a little due tp perspective, would have worked better as a wrap around, if there ever was another half. The inner nerd in me wanrlts to question why Gore Head isnt feathered, but live and let live.

IndigoPrime

Why would he be feathered? Have there been any finds that show dinos of that size had feathers? I know raptors and smaller dinosaurs might have, but I thought the current concensus was that the much bigger species would have been more like rhinos or elephants, with a barely noticeable covering at most (and possibly a downy coat when juveniles).

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 October, 2013, 02:51:20 PM
Why would he be feathered? Have there been any finds that show dinos of that size had feathers? I know raptors and smaller dinosaurs might have, but I thought the current concensus was that the much bigger species would have been more like rhinos or elephants, with a barely noticeable covering at most (and possibly a downy coat when juveniles).
Dromeosaurides and Tyranosurides share a common lineage and are all decendents of modern birds. Mark Norell has hypothesised that the feathers preserved in smaller Tyranosauride species such as Dilong Paradoxus is solid indication that larger species, due to anatomical resemblance, could also have been feathered. I'd say its not much of a stretch of the imagination, as Yutyrannus Huali, measuring in on over 9 meters long, is now known to have had feathers covering at least its lower body.

IndigoPrime

Interesting stuff—thanks. (Now on Wired, reading about feathered giants.)

Proudhuff

Quote from: Proudhuff on 05 October, 2013, 04:30:21 PM

The Dredd story continues at a cracking pace, I did doubt the multi targeting of the heatseekers but thats one for CF  ;)

Ah, knew the Car-roll Droid would have it covered! no sign of CF tho  ::)
DDT did a job on me