Main Menu

Recommendations wanted, your two best books

Started by Minkyboy, 20 October, 2013, 07:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

In the interests of furthering the thread and not duplicating anything, you should read:

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. Massively entertaining mash-up of sci-fi, Hindu mythology and sly con-men.

Voss by Patrick White. Massively bleak journey into the empty heart of one crazy German. And Australia.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind for MOBY DICK. If I recall I read it just after LORD JIM while lounging in a hammock in Lake Maninjou in Indonesia. And now you mention it, I do recall enjoying some of Ahab's rants. But there was just so much of it...  I think I read LAST OF THE MOHICANS next. That WAS fucking dire...
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Minkyboy

Thank you, you glorious hivemind of Squaxx, I knew you wouldn't let me down.

I have read a number of these but less than 50% and I am far more excited about the whole Kindle thing now that I have these unknown treasures to unwrap.
Top tip on the free books as well.

Thank you all, feel free to add to the list I'm sure others will benefit as well as me.

I'm not promising, but I might do a mini review with rankings on those of your recommendations I have read in a few months time. Probably not though, I'm an idle beggar.

Ta,
Minky
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Davek

Catcher in the Rye is genuinely one of the most moving books I have read. Second choice that sprung to mind was Oliver Twist; my favourite Dickens. Clichéd choices maybe, but I read them both for the first time in the last couple of years (in my thirties!).

Richmond Clements

QuoteCatcher in the Rye is genuinely one of the most moving books I have read.

Indeed... it moved me to want to throw the book across the bloody room!

Spaceghost

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 21 October, 2013, 11:21:45 PM

Yep. I wanted to smack the shit out of the spoilt little bleeder.

Completely overrated book.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Hawkmumbler

Of Mice and Men has always been a wonderful little book in my mind. Incredibly well written and heart felt, it's one of the few books that I can re-read any time. It suffers from slight pretentiousness but I can overlook this for some reason.

Im sorry I cant recomend two titles as I honestly would struggle to cut it down to two.

JohnMcF

For those who enjoyed Moby Dick there is a science fiction sequel called The Wind Whales of Ishmael by Philip José Farmer.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JohnMcF on 22 October, 2013, 10:33:53 AM
For those who enjoyed Moby Dick there is a science fiction sequel called The Wind Whales of Ishmael by Philip José Farmer.

Yeah, I loved that book!  Fairly low-key easy reading sci-fi.  So nice after the slog of Moby Dick.

James Stacey

Quote from: Spaceghost on 22 October, 2013, 10:11:03 AM

I read it to see what the fuss was. It made me angry for the reasons given above. Awful

Dandontdare

It's a book that should only be read when you're 13-16. If you missed that window, don't bother.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 October, 2013, 11:51:51 AM
It's a book that should only be read when you're 13-16. If you missed that window, don't bother.

Absolutely this, I think.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 October, 2013, 11:51:51 AM

I find it helps if you imagine Holden as a young PJ.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I thought Moby Dick was infuriatingly meandersome. And Holden Caulfield's a twat.

One of my all time favourite books is Treasure Island, I read it at least once a year and have done since I was about ten.

Puckoon by Spike Milligan is good fun too.
You may quote me on that.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Spaceghost on 22 October, 2013, 10:11:03 AM

I think I read it in that 13 - 16 year old window, before I realised it was supposed to be some kind of 'classic', and I didn't get it.  He just mopes around, whining and smoking too much doesn't he?  Isn't that what every bloody teenager does?!? Anyway, it can't have been very good - I can barely remember it.