Started by IronGraham, 17 November, 2013, 08:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronGraham

here's a challenge to the hivemind who has done the most Art pages for 2000AD
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Neil McClements

Mmmm? I'd guess at Carlos Ezquerra.

hippynumber1

I'd guess it's Ezquerra closely followed by Ron Smith (although he's falling further and further behind while Uncle Carlos is still producing his magic)

Jim_Campbell

Belardinelli must be a strong contender -- he was drawing one strip or another for pretty much the whole of the first 400 issues. I kinda wonder about Ian Gibson, too. I may have a quiet day tomorrow, so I'll have a grapple with BARNEY if I have time.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IronGraham

your a trooper Jim cheers

may do that to
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Colin YNWA

Damned good question and I'm sure someone or other has a database for this.

The only two droids I can think of who might come lose to those mentioned are Steve Yeowell, fairly regular since the 500s and Henry Flint around a lot since the 900s.

I'd guess Carlos might be call he's had the longevity and the regularity, but I'd not be too surprised by any of those mentioned to this point.

I, Cosh

I have a vague memory of an old thread along these lines but I have no way of finding it.

I'm sure if you asked nicely, Wake could just run one query and give you the answer. I'm aware this would take the fun out of it.
We never really die.

James Stacey

Didn't someone answer this a few years ago with maths and everything. Anthony Williams was a surprise contender.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: James Stacey on 18 November, 2013, 12:37:25 PM
Didn't someone answer this a few years ago with maths and everything. Anthony Williams was a surprise contender.

Yeah and I guess if he was contending in the past his stint on Sinister Dexter (not regular enough mind but that's for a different thread!) must mean he's still in with a shout?

Proteus4

I had a quick Barney at this last night and I'm going with ezquerra. The sheer number of thrills he's done is more than any other artist I could find, and don't forget that a 'thrill' could be a mega epic like rage, necropolis, apocalypse war, etc etc. the total number of pages must be in the thousands!

Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

radiator

It has to be Carlos hands down.

Henry Flint has to be in the top 5 - VCs, Zombo, Shakara and many more strips plus a serious chunk of Dredd...

ming

I had a rough-and-ready look at Henry Flint's page count vs. Carlos via Barney...  Carlos by a landslide.  Limited to strips in 2000AD (not covers, Megs, Annuals or specials) Henry has about 1500 pages to Carlos' 4000+ (I stopped counting before I got to Carlos' Tharg the Mighty tales, etc.).

4,000 pages... That's insane.

TordelBack

Quote from: ming on 19 November, 2013, 10:48:59 AM
4,000 pages... That's insane.

And there are whole annuals he drew almost single-handed, never mind his Meg and Crisis work.  Imagine if he'd hung on to all those pages.  He could have flogged them and retired.  Thank goodness for the crappy treatment of artists!

AlexF

I'm one of the sort of fans who has in the past drawn up databases of 2000AD stats. One attempted to count up how many stories writers and artists had worked on, which is likely to correlate to total numbers of pages. I make the top 10 artists, based on number of contributions to the comic, (as of a couple of years ago, I hasten to add) to be:

Carlos by a country mile
Ian Gibson
Ron Smith (I think he's the artist who has drawn the most Dredds)
Massimo Belardinelli (who may well be 2nd on page count, given that he worked on some looooooooooooong stories, what with Inferno and Meltdown Man and the later Ace Garp epics)
Mike McMahon
Simon Davis
Henry Flint
Cam Kennedy
Kevin O'Neill
Brett Ewins

The list I drew up includes covers, which may have pushed some artists above regular internal contributors.
King of the covers is Cliff Robinson, although he's not drawn many interior pages.

I am intending to update the database and use it as the basis for a new blog celebrating 2000 AD script and art droids, but I keep being too busy at work (not to mention with the twins at home) to get it going.

TordelBack

Quote from: AlexF on 19 November, 2013, 11:45:58 AM... but I keep being too busy at work (not to mention with the twins at home) to get it going.

Priorities man, priorities.

Although Barney does already have all this info, up to Prog 1825 at least, for those that would trawl his arsom depths.